Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Yeah, but they have to basically win the tournament to qualify. It's not guaranteed.
    Going by the lopsided wins from team Canada only 1 team really deserves to go on ..

    Comment


    • Primer wrote: View Post
      They did get an automatic big, hence why they'll likely send the same team they did to the Pan Ams, their B team with zero NBA talent. I don't know if they "have" to participate, but it's a good opportunity to get experience for guys. They may very well "have" to participate though, not sure what FIBA's rules are regarding that.
      Yeah 0 NBA guys, but Fran Fraschilla was saying that 5 or 6 of those guys on the Pan Am team would be on their 'A' team. If the same guys are playing they'll be pretty awesome.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

      Comment


      • Jack Armstrong: Five Thoughts: Canada at FIBA Americas

        http://www.tsn.ca/five-thoughts-cana...ricas-1.344980

        "4. Expectations and Reality: The fact that Team Canada won Pan Am silver provides no guarantee that the same will happen here and they'll qualify for the Olympics. It’s a whole new ball game with different and better rosters on the other end of the court to deal with. The fact of the matter is this is going to be a young and somewhat inexperienced roster. Yes, it's got great potential over the long haul, but it is a long haul. Are they ready now? Only time will tell. When you have a young team in a tournament like this it can't be in any way, shape or form about the individual, it's all about the quality of team play and how quickly roles are established. Egos don't matter one bit. It’s never easy with a young team to get 'buy-in' and sacrifice to be the mantras but in order for success to happen that's what you have to have. Maturity and mental toughness within the team concept are paramount."

        Comment


        • stretch wrote: View Post
          Jack Armstrong: Five Thoughts: Canada at FIBA Americas

          http://www.tsn.ca/five-thoughts-cana...ricas-1.344980

          "4. Expectations and Reality: The fact that Team Canada won Pan Am silver provides no guarantee that the same will happen here and they'll qualify for the Olympics. It’s a whole new ball game with different and better rosters on the other end of the court to deal with. The fact of the matter is this is going to be a young and somewhat inexperienced roster. Yes, it's got great potential over the long haul, but it is a long haul. Are they ready now? Only time will tell. When you have a young team in a tournament like this it can't be in any way, shape or form about the individual, it's all about the quality of team play and how quickly roles are established. Egos don't matter one bit. It’s never easy with a young team to get 'buy-in' and sacrifice to be the mantras but in order for success to happen that's what you have to have. Maturity and mental toughness within the team concept are paramount."
          Most Canadian players are "role players" (albeit some are really solid role players) in their NBA teams, I would imagine it's a littler easier to get them to "buy-in" than the US dream teams.

          Comment


          • Women made it to the finals -- winning by 17 points. Was around a 10 point lead most of the game. The finals are tomorrow (I think) vs Cuba. Cuba played overtime in the semis and Canada smashed them in prelims, hopefully that gives them a psychologicl advantage.

            Comment


            • Canadian women are killing it! Kia Nurse is a beast - reminds me of a female DRose. I hope they make it to Rio. They have a great chance to make noise there.

              Comment


              • That's at 8:00 pm, live on TSN according to what I was able to find.

                Comment




                • Man I would love to see a NZ v Canada Olympic game just to see Wiggins & CoJo reaction to this....

                  Comment


                  • I just love that instead of the "All Blacks", New Zealands Basketball Team is the "Tall Blacks" .. Bwilliant.

                    Comment


                    • RepTdot wrote: View Post


                      Man I would love to see a NZ v Canada Olympic game just to see Wiggins & CoJo reaction to this....
                      Looks impressive but they lost the game to Australia.

                      Comment


                      • I didn't know where else to put this.. but it appears Wiggins, Ennis, Olynyk and Lowry are all getting sponsorship deals from BMO:
                        http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-with-bmo.html

                        Fifty young basketball players will gather at the Air Canada Centre on sunday morning for a clinic run by a quartet of capable teachers — the Toronto Raptors’ Kyle Lowry and three Canadian stars: Boston’s Kelly Olynyk, Milwaukee’s Tyler Ennis and the NBA rookie of the year, Minnesota’s Andrew Wiggins.

                        That four NBA players with local ties would run a one-day camp isn’t unusual. One of the factors driving the proliferation of elite Canadian players is the willingness of homegrown pros to teach what they have learned to younger generations.

                        The novelty is that BMO is underwriting the clinic as part of a basketball-based marketing push that includes endorsement deals with all four of the NBA players involved.
                        Pretty cool to see Lowry mentioned amongst those Canadians.

                        Comment


                        • A couple scares in the 1st and 3rd quarters, but the Women pulled away and enter the Olympic tournament through the front door. The Canada back court was just too much for the Cubans. Man, the difference between the team that played in the round robin you would think that Cuba was betting against themselves in that game. Didn't matter. Canada is the FIBA Americas AND Pan American champs. What a summer for these ladies. Good for them. In 2 weeks hopefully, the guys follow their example and qualify.

                          EDIT: Here's the boxscore

                          http://www.fibaamericas.com/en/box.a...9&t=NIIPTFJTUD
                          Last edited by blackjitsu; Sun Aug 16th, 2015, 10:03 PM.

                          Comment


                          • blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            A couple scares in the 1st and 3rd quarters, but the Women pulled away and enter the Olympic tournament through the front door. The Canada back court was just too much for the Cubans. Man, the difference between the team that played in the round robin you would think that Cuba was betting against themselves in that game. Didn't matter. Canada is the FIBA Americas AND Pan American champs. What a summer for these ladies. Good for them. In 2 weeks hopefully, the guys follow their example and qualify.

                            EDIT: Here's the boxscore

                            http://www.fibaamericas.com/en/box.a...9&t=NIIPTFJTUD
                            Great summer for our women's program

                            Comment


                            • guyroch wrote: View Post
                              Great summer for our women's program
                              I doubt there has been another like this in the last 50 years. Wonderful job by the team, the staff and Canada Basketball to bring it all together....And props to the Raptors for creating basketball excitement in Canada starting in 1995.

                              Comment


                              • stretch wrote: View Post
                                Jack Armstrong: Five Thoughts: Canada at FIBA Americas

                                http://www.tsn.ca/five-thoughts-cana...ricas-1.344980

                                "4. Expectations and Reality
                                Greivis Vasquez has said no to this summer playing for Venezuela ... That is good news for Canada

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X