No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this tournament is just a friendly before the real thing in Mexico? Still can't believe all four other teams in this tournament are ranked higher than Canada

Comment

• jerome wrote: View Post
      So this tournament is just a friendly before the real thing in Mexico? Still can't believe all four other teams in this tournament are ranked higher than Canada
      FIBA rankings are not like an Associated Press NCAA poll based upon who is returning from last year and players just recruited, nor are they based upon how many NBA players are on the roster. FIBA goes by performances in recent FIBA sanctioned tournaments like the World Championship, the Olympics and FIBA Americas. The Pan Am games don't count.
      Last edited by stretch; Thu Aug 20, 2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Triano is taking five players from the Pan Am team south. Joseph, Olynyk, Sacre, Nicholson, Dornekamp, and Ejim are holdovers from 2014's European friendlies trip. With personal and NBA commitments involved, this is the best team Canada could have hoped for.

A seven day camp plus the Tuto Marchand tournament is not much prep leading up to Mexico, considering most other teams in FIBA Americas have been in camp all summer playing regular exhibition games.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
          Triano is taking five players from the Pan Am team south. Joseph, Olynyk, Sacre, Nicholson, Dornekamp, and Ejim are holdovers from 2014's European friendlies trip. With personal and NBA commitments involved, this is the best team Canada could have hoped for.

A seven day camp plus the Tuto Marchand tournament is not much prep leading up to Mexico, considering most other teams in FIBA Americas have been in camp all summer playing regular exhibition games.
          What concerns me is that two of the starting 5 ( Wiggins and Nik ) have no experience with Senior National team and Senior National team completion ..

Saying that Bennett Murray were key players in the Pan AM event and did it being the first timer's ..
          Last edited by guyroch; Fri Aug 21, 2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• http://www.basketball.ca/en/team/2013-mens-team-roster

This is the roster that last tried to qualify ... We can agree that this team is stronger by a wide margin ... The only question is
            are the teams that were competing in 2013 added to their talent pool as much as Canada .. I think not ...

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
              What concerns me is that two of the starting 5 ( Wiggins and Nik ) have no experience with Senior National team and Senior National team completion ..

Saying that Bennett Murray were key players in the Pan AM event and did it being the first timer's ..
              I think Wiggins could dominate this tournament. As for Stauskas, a pure shooter like him can thrive in any setting, especially one where his defensive assignments will be far less demanding that the NBA.

What impresses me most about the Canadian roster at present is the combination of quality and depth. In the past they were able to add a couple good NBA players - Nash and Magloire - but the quality of the team beyond a couple guys was always a glaring weakness. When you consider that Thompson, Ennis and Murray aren't even available, then think about who would be fighting for the 11th & 12th roster spots if everybody was available, you realize just how strong the Canadian program is becoming.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I think Wiggins could dominate this tournament. As for Stauskas, a pure shooter like him can thrive in any setting, especially one where his defensive assignments will be far less demanding that the NBA.

What impresses me most about the Canadian roster at present is the combination of quality and depth. In the past they were able to add a couple good NBA players - Nash and Magloire - but the quality of the team beyond a couple guys was always a glaring weakness. When you consider that Thompson, Ennis and Murray aren't even available, then think about who would be fighting for the 11th & 12th roster spots if everybody was available, you realize just how strong the Canadian program is becoming.
                This team has something no other Canadian team has ever had (other than the one Nash Olympic team): guys who can create, make plays for each other and pass the ball. Other than Nash, Canada has never, ever had those guys, which is why we could never beat anyone that was any good. You can have all the shooters in the world running all the best sets but if you can't get the ball to the right guy in the right time and place it is meaningless. Joseph, Wiggins, Stauskas, Bennett, et al. can not only score, etc., more importantly, they have a feel for the game that allows them to make plays.

My only concern is at the point. After Joseph, it looks questionable. Really could have used Ennis.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                  http://www.basketball.ca/en/team/2013-mens-team-roster

This is the roster that last tried to qualify ... We can agree that this team is stronger by a wide margin ... The only question is
                  are the teams that were competing in 2013 added to their talent pool as much as Canada .. I think not ...
                  It's a case of talent with very little meaningful time together (Canada) versus system and continuity (Argentina, Brazil, Mexico).

Comment

• My guess is that Scrubb will be the final cut, but I suppose it all comes down to how they look at the Tuto Marchand.

Comment

• A hurricane is headed straight for Puerto Rico where the Tuto Marchand tournament is.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                        A hurricane is headed straight for Puerto Rico where the Tuto Marchand tournament is.
                        any update on the game today? I couldn't find any

Comment

• When you guys find a link for the game please post it in this thread
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                            When you guys find a link for the game please post it in this thread
                            That's what I am looking for as well. Game is a 4:30 Eastern, 5:30 Atlantic!
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Hopefully there's an HD link

Comment

• 1 hour till tip-off, any links yet?
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X