X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer
    replied
    WJF wrote: View Post

It's not always the 12 best players that make the best team. Just think of the old dude at the Y making the young buck look foolish.

Phil Scrubb is a very good pro basketball player who understands the FIBA game better than anyone on the roster. I am more than fine if he's selected for Olympic team. He'll ride the pine and be a defacto coach. If he does get some burn, he'll make the right play and run the sytem no worries.
    Scrubb couldn't even get minutes at the world cup, there is no reason for him to be there. Injuries happen and we need the bench stacked with NBA talent that can step in and produce, not cheerleaders.

Not to mention Mathurin, Sharpe, and everyone else also have FIBA experience playing for team Canada. We do a good job of getting any talented Canadian player into the national team system at an early age. Let's take advantage of that and use the best players at the Olympic level.

Leave a comment:

• Shredder
    replied

It's not always the 12 best players that make the best team. Just think of the old dude at the Y making the young buck look foolish.

Phil Scrubb is a very good pro basketball player who understands the FIBA game better than anyone on the roster. I am more than fine if he's selected for Olympic team. He'll ride the pine and be a defacto coach. If he does get some burn, he'll make the right play and run the sytem no worries.
    Then make him a coach. I'm cool with that.

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

You further highlighted that we need to have all NBA players because Canada has more than can even fit on the team.

I'm fine with Edey getting a tryout but he was really bad, don't think we need him on the team.

I'm fine with Mathurin losing out to an NBA player, just not keeping him off the team so Scrubb can be there.

Leave a comment:

• Shredder
    replied

You further highlighted that we need to have all NBA players because Canada has more than can even fit on the team.

I'm fine with Edey getting a tryout but he was really bad, don't think we need him on the team.

I'm fine with Mathurin losing out to an NBA player, just not keeping him off the team so Scrubb can be there.
    I'm fine with Edey just for Insurance if we play a big team that just punishes us in the paint. We are thin at the 4/5 I'm okay with a non-nba big.

But I agree, Mathurin or Sharpe shouldn't miss out because of a Scrubb bro. I appreciate what they've done, but this is the Olympics and you bring your best squad.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied

If everyone who played this summer is available to play, the guys who get replaced are Ejim, Bell-Haynes, Scrubb and Alexander. (Edey comes back)

Murray gets one of the 2 guard spots hands down. If Thomspon is available, he replaces one of the 2 forwards. That leaves potentially 2 spots open.

Here are a few guys that coould be considered:

Mathurin
    Birch (NBA Free Agent?)
    Nembhard
    Wiggins
    Brandon Clarke (Due back from Injury)
    Trey Lyles
    Cory Joseph
    Sharpe

While I think Mathurin is a future lock for the squad, I'm not sold he moves the needle at all for Paris. If all the guard/wings in the rotation are back there's not fit.

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied

Alexander was a DNP in our bronze medal game.

The only non nba guy who got any run was Ejim, but he at least is technically an NBA veteran, he was briefly on the Magic 9 years ago (dude is 33 years old).

Mathurin is same size as Ejim. Can you tell me with a straight face you'd rather have Ejim than Mathurin?

I think we would be way better off filling every roster spot with real nba players.
    If everyone who played this summer is available to play, the guys who get replaced are Ejim, Bell-Haynes, Scrubb and Alexander. (Edey comes back)

Murray gets one of the 2 guard spots hands down. If Thomspon is available, he replaces one of the 2 forwards. That leaves potentially 2 spots open.

Here are a few guys that coould be considered:

Mathurin
    Birch (NBA Free Agent?)
    Nembhard
    Wiggins
    Brandon Clarke (Due back from Injury)
    Trey Lyles
    Cory Joseph
    Sharpe

While I think Mathurin is a future lock for the squad, I'm not sold he moves the needle at all for Paris. If all the guard/wings in the rotation are back there's not fit.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied

I think that Kyle Alexander would be a better fit with the team than Mathurin as he plays the 4/5 and Mathurin is a wing, witch we have covered very well. An argument for Melvin Ejim could be made as well as he oftem plays as an undersized 4.

I would be good with Tristan Thompson taking one of the those forward spots.
    Alexander was a DNP in our bronze medal game.

The only non nba guy who got any run was Ejim, but he at least is technically an NBA veteran, he was briefly on the Magic 9 years ago (dude is 33 years old).

Mathurin is same size as Ejim. Can you tell me with a straight face you'd rather have Ejim than Mathurin?

I think we would be way better off filling every roster spot with real nba players.

Leave a comment:

• guyroch
    replied

I think that Kyle Alexander would be a better fit with the team than Mathurin as he plays the 4/5 and Mathurin is a wing, witch we have covered very well. An argument for Melvin Ejim could be made as well as he oftem plays as an undersized 4.

I would like to see Kassius Robertson instead of TRAE BELL-HAYNES .. I am sorry but with the depth of Canada basketball
    Trae Bell should not be on the A team ..

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied

Which non NBA guys on team Canada do you think will provide more value than Mathurin in the Olympics?

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    The FIBA game is different than the NBA. A very good FIBA experienced non-NBA vet is more valuable than a 19-23 year old NBA newby.
    Which non NBA guys on team Canada do you think will provide more value than Mathurin in the Olympics?

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied
    The FIBA game is different than the NBA. A very good FIBA experienced non-NBA vet is more valuable than a 19-23 year old NBA newby.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    guyroch wrote: View Post

I think what it comes down too is we have 1 of the top 5 players in the World and in most to all games we can say we
    have the best player on the floor .. His presents makes everyone on the team feel a bit better ...It's like when
    the Raptors finally got Kawhi ..

Previous years .. okay we can brag about the NBA roster we are fielding in an international game but were any of
    those all stars or superstars ?

What we need is a player that when SGA has to get some rest that the team just doesn't go into a big tailspin ..
    All the more reason to fill out the bench with real NBA players like Mathurin and Sharpe.

Leave a comment:

• guyroch
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    Xaivian Lee

The next Jeremy Lin is Canadian

https://www.sportsnet.ca/ncaa-mens-b...-down-harvard/
    Wow thanks for posting this .. I didn't know anything about this guy ..

Leave a comment:

• guyroch
    replied

World cup USA didn't give a shit. How many of those guys even make the Olympic squad? 2 or 3 is my guess.
    I think what it comes down too is we have 1 of the top 5 players in the World and in most to all games we can say we
    have the best player on the floor .. His presents makes everyone on the team feel a bit better ...It's like when
    the Raptors finally got Kawhi ..

Previous years .. okay we can brag about the NBA roster we are fielding in an international game but were any of
    those all stars or superstars ?

What we need is a player that when SGA has to get some rest that the team just doesn't go into a big tailspin ..

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

How did that pure NBA USA squad do against Lithuania and Germany?
    World cup USA didn't give a shit. How many of those guys even make the Olympic squad? 2 or 3 is my guess.

How helpful were our non nba players the entire tournament?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X