Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canada Basketball

    There were times we were just happy to sneak in and quailfy in Word Events ... This week 101-59 against Brazil , Canada 79-67 against Dominican Republic and 91 - 70 aginst Puerto Rico .... 3-0 and on off to the semi's in the FIBA Americas under 18 ...

  • #2
    The junior national teams have consistently qualified for world championships but the senior men's team has been a major disapointment failing to qualify and finishing sixth in the FIBA America championship last summer despite having 4 NBA players on the roster.

    Comment


    • #3
      stretch wrote: View Post
      The junior national teams have consistently qualified for world championships but the senior men's team has been a major disapointment failing to qualify and finishing sixth in the FIBA America championship last summer despite having 4 NBA players on the roster.
      Yes I agree with your first point but were they dominating in those qualifying events ? As for your second point ... The national team will soon see the benefits of these young guns in the past and present Jr programs .. Depth means the days we had to beg and plead guys like Jamaal magloire and Nash ( cause they were the only NBA players ) are over ..

      As for your first point the trend has changed but only just recently . Starting from 1990 ( event is every 4 years ) the results have been 9th , 7th , 6th, 7th , 4th , 3rd , 3rd and 3rd ...
      Last edited by guyroch; Mon Jun 23rd, 2014, 09:11 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        stretch wrote: View Post
        The junior national teams have consistently qualified for world championships but the senior men's team has been a major disapointment failing to qualify and finishing sixth in the FIBA America championship last summer despite having 4 NBA players on the roster.
        While I agree it was a disappointment to not qualify last summer, I think it was more of one step back to take two steps forward. Although the team did have 4 NBA players on the roster, 3 of the 4 are still getting their feet wet at the senior team level. Our best years are still ahead of us and we should see a steady increase in wins and placings at competitions as a result.

        Corey Joseph had another good year in the NBA learning from one of the greatest point guards of the current era, and when given minutes he looked pretty good. Team Canada is his to run, and he has by no means reached his peak. Tristan Thompson and Andrew Nicholson got to play heavy international minutes and showed flashes of what they will bring to the senior team for years to come, these 3 players are going to have to show leadership as the rest of the young guys come on board. The senior men are planing an 11 game exhibition schedule this summer in Europe, they have games vs. Spain, Turkey, Serbia, Slovenia and Angola ranked #2, 7, 11, 13 and 15 respectively.

        I am looking forward to seeing who is on the roster, I hope to see guys like Olynyk, Sacre, and Bennett suit up as well as some of the the guys that get drafted this year. Add them to the likes of Joseph, Thompson, Nicholson, and Jermaine Anderson (for Leadership) and the team will be exciting to watch.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

        Comment


        • #5
          Our team's getting pretty stacked...

          Pg: Cory Joseph, Tyler Ennis
          SG: Nik Stauskas
          SF: Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson
          PF: Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, Khem Birch
          C: Kelly Olynyk, Robert Sacre, Joel Anthony, Jordan Bachynski/Sim Bhullar

          Probably forgetting some, but it seems like we should compete for a medal in the 2016 Olympics

          Comment


          • #6
            The SNMT will be in tough to qualify for the Rio Olympics despite the pedigree of the Canadian roster. Canadian NBAers and NCAA players are not very good at adapting to FIBA rules and conditions. They tend to bitch at refs and lack to the stamina and grit to get through the grind of playing 7 or 8 games in 9 days.

            The other competing nations tend to ignore the Canadian players' resume and take it as a personal challenge to show them up with their toughness and commitment to team play. Canada is ranked 25th in the world in FIBA rankings.

            Comment


            • #7
              Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              Our team's getting pretty stacked...

              Pg: Cory Joseph, Tyler Ennis
              SG: Nik Stauskas
              SF: Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson
              PF: Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, Khem Birch
              C: Kelly Olynyk, Robert Sacre, Joel Anthony, Jordan Bachynski/Sim Bhullar

              Probably forgetting some, but it seems like we should compete for a medal in the 2016 Olympics
              The question is how many of these players will commit long term to the national program?

              Comment


              • #8
                Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                Our team's getting pretty stacked...

                Pg: Cory Joseph, Tyler Ennis
                SG: Nik Stauskas
                SF: Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson
                PF: Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, Khem Birch
                C: Kelly Olynyk, Robert Sacre, Joel Anthony, Jordan Bachynski/Sim Bhullar

                Probably forgetting some, but it seems like we should compete for a medal in the 2016 Olympics
                Andrew Nicholson will never be a small forward, either in FIBA or the NBA, he is a 4. Perhaps Bennett can play some on the wing, but due to his struggles this past year in the NBA, we have yet to see what he can do playing vs. men every day.
                I am not Sold on Bhullar playing for the Senior team in the future, he is huge, but too much talent ahead of him.

                Don't forget guys like Ejim, Powell, Kyle Wiltjer, Olivier Hanlan, Trey Lyles and many others that will be making big splashes in the coming years.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

                Comment


                • #9
                  stretch wrote: View Post
                  The question is how many of these players will commit long term to the national program?
                  The great thing is you don't need them all .. Gone are the times is when our program relied on just a couple of NBA'ers ..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                    Our team's getting pretty stacked...

                    Pg: Cory Joseph, Tyler Ennis
                    SG: Nik Stauskas
                    SF: Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson
                    PF: Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, Khem Birch
                    C: Kelly Olynyk, Robert Sacre, Joel Anthony, Jordan Bachynski/Sim Bhullar

                    Probably forgetting some, but it seems like we should compete for a medal in the 2016 Olympics
                    You are forgetting some Canadian ballers who play in Europe ... You need some of those guys always cause the International game is so different from NBA ball ..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      guyroch wrote: View Post
                      You are forgetting some Canadian ballers who play in Europe ... You need some of those guys always cause the International game is so different from NBA ball ..
                      Kris Joseph is in that same vein. Got drafted by the Celtics and plays in France now. I think actually on Clint Capela's team.

                      But yeah it's pretty sweet that there's NBA guys that might not even make the team. That's a first.
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        guyroch wrote: View Post
                        The great thing is you don't need them all .. Gone are the times is when our program relied on just a couple of NBA'ers ..
                        I think the opposite is true. The SNMT has struggled every tournament in recent memory. They need as much talent as possible plus commitment over a few seasons.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm excited to have a legit team that competes regardless of who's on the team... And having someone that might be a superstar down the line doesn't hurt either

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            stretch wrote: View Post
                            I think the opposite is true. The SNMT has struggled every tournament in recent memory. They need as much talent as possible plus commitment over a few seasons.
                            In the recent past we had some personnel problems and lack of talent depth, now we have depth but it is very young. There needs to be a core that grows together in order for the team to achieve regular success. I think this summer will be a big one even though we are not playing for anything. Getting our guys together and having them bond and play without the pressures of having to qualify or medal in any event will allow them to relax and learn. I just hope most of the key guys are there.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Oooh boy it will be fun to watch Wiggins on team Canada

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X