Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Hes clearly shown zero interest in playing. Teammates have subliminally called him out on it
    These are the statments that are not based on fact but fuel the fire of hate and create conflict where none may be. Josh Lewenberg of TSN had this quote in an article: “According to multiple sources, one factor in Wiggins’ decision to decline Canada Basketball’s most recent invitation is his strained relationship with head coach Jay Triano, stemming from his previous and only experience playing with the senior men’s team in 2015.”

When there is no name attached to the source it is usually a stretch of teh truth and just some sizzle to make an article more interesting or controversal.

I for one have no knowledge of how conversations between Steve Nash, Rowan Barrett and Wiggins have gone over the past few years. If any of those 3 go on record and make a clear staement then I will know the truth.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
      These are the statments that are not based on fact but fuel the fire of hate and create conflict where none may be. Josh Lewenberg of TSN had this quote in an article: “According to multiple sources, one factor in Wiggins’ decision to decline Canada Basketball’s most recent invitation is his strained relationship with head coach Jay Triano, stemming from his previous and only experience playing with the senior men’s team in 2015.”

When there is no name attached to the source it is usually a stretch of teh truth and just some sizzle to make an article more interesting or controversal.

I for one have no knowledge of how conversations between Steve Nash, Rowan Barrett and Wiggins have gone over the past few years. If any of those 3 go on record and make a clear staement then I will know the truth.
      Not sure what you're getting at. Wiggins isn't playing because his feelings are still butthurt for when he choked against friggin' Venezuela 3 years ago and was justifiably benched? That's a good reason for not playing ever since?

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

Let's deal with facts. He chooses not to play without a real valid reason, and has given no definitive statements to reassure Canada basketball and its fans hes gonna join again soon. To me it looks like he has no interest
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Andrew who?

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            Let's deal with facts. He chooses not to play without a real valid reason, and has given no definitive statements to reassure Canada basketball and its fans hes gonna join again soon. To me it looks like he has no interest
            I think we have come to a time in Canada Basketball that we should careless weather Wiggins wants to play or not ... Gone are the days that one player has so much effect if they come or not . We have a player in Wiggins who if he comes would want to be coddled and not coached hard . We need great PG's and a roster full of stars who want to work their ass off when they are they are their .

Comment

• http://basketball.ca/en/news-article/slug-4kv15a

September's roster hopefuls are announced ... Nice to see NBA players again ... Nik Stalukus is again not on the roster ... Steve Nash has always said how playing for Canada really helped him develop . I do think Nik could have really used these summers playing for Canada to help with his growth . When was the last time he played any important minutes since College ?

Comment

• Nice that Justin Jackson is in and fully recovered from a torn labrum he suffered in college.

Aaron Best and Pangos really will help Canada as they are thinner at guard position.

I expect nothing short of a crushing victory over Brazil (A team whom Canada never seem to beat).
                Last edited by Hotshot; Tue Sep 4, 2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• If we do qualify for FIBA (I know that's still a big if), will our play at that tournament effect our Olympic chances? Our 2020 team could be scary (obviously if all our eligible players play)

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                    If we do qualify for FIBA (I know that's still a big if), )
                    Team Canada is in a very good position to advance. They are currently tied with Brazil & Venezuela in their house with 5-1 record. Top 3 teams advance to world cup. Dominican Rep. is on the bubble in 4th place with 4-2 record.

The only loss came in the hands of the Dominican Rep, a year ago where Canada had no NBA representatives. Otherwise when team Canada had their NBA representatives playing (3 or more) they dominated every team by 20 to 30 points (or more!) including the Dominican Rep. I fully expect team Canada to advance with 8 or 9 wins (each team has 6 games remaining). Team Canada should win the 2 games in Sept against Brazil and Chile (cant drop these games when you have the luxury of this depth).

The November 2 games schedule however could be rough as Canada wont have any NBA players and they have to travel to South America to play Brazil & Venezuela. Then again in Feb (I believe) they have to play at home an easy matchup against Chile (i think) and have another rough game against Venezuela (could be a deciding game against this nemesis, as Canada lost to them in 2015 in the semi with a team led by inexperienced NBA players) . If they come out of this 4-2 they are going for sure, if its 3-3 you best hope the Dominicans would also get 3-3 record.

Shredder wrote: View Post
                    will our play at that tournament effect our Olympic chances? Our 2020 team could be scary (obviously if all our eligible players play)
                    Yes it would as World Cup games also count as qualifications for the olympics. If all of our eligible players play at the Olympics, talent wise we are 2nd only to the Americans. However there are very good teams in the top 10 with some NBA talent as well that can beat Canada due to experience and coaching stratagies as well as manipulating the FIBA rules to their advantage. If we can at least get Wiggins, Murray, Barrett & Shai to committ, we will be matchup nightmare to most teams.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                      If we do qualify for FIBA (I know that's still a big if), will our play at that tournament effect our Olympic chances? Our 2020 team could be scary (obviously if all our eligible players play)
                      Yes, the worlds are now the main way to qualify for the Olympics. Top 7 advance directly (plus host Japan). Next 16 overall plus 2 additional teams per region, go into 4 qualification tournaments to be held summer of 2020 (just after end of NBA playoffs). The 4 winners of those tournaments advance.

This means that likely Canada needs to make the WC to qualify for the Olympics, unless something crazy happens like we miss the WC cut, and then all, or all but one of the Americas teams finish top 23, and we get drawn in as one of the +2 teams for the Olympic qualifying tournaments.

Canada should get to the worlds and be in the mix for the top 7. Right now, after the US there's a second tier that's really the top European clubs... Spain, France, Lithuania. After that, I think there's a huge tier composed of the second-tier European teams, plus the top teams from other regions (including Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Australia, Germany, Serbia, Turkey, Greece, Czechs, Serbians, etc.).
                      Last edited by octothorp; Tue Sep 4, 2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Steve Nash Hall of Fame induction speech is live right now on NBATV if any of you catch this message.

What an incredible player and person...

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                          Steve Nash Hall of Fame induction speech is live right now on NBATV if any of you catch this message.

What an incredible player and person...
                          Yeah it was a great speech. You can watch it on youtube:

Comment

• Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Yeah it was a great speech. You can watch it on youtube:

Wow only one school gave him a scholarship and he becomes a HOFer ... Hard work and probably Canada's greatest athlete .

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                                Wow only one school gave him a scholarship and he becomes a HOFer ... Hard work and probably Canada's greatest athlete .
                                The last couple minutes of the video, where he suggests some principles for young people to inculcate into their lives are like a Ph.D in "Success University."

Comment

Working...
                                X