No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember all the talk in 2014 about Wiggins as the next LeBron and 2020 Olympics as a legit chance for Canada to compete for Gold? LOL.

Would Canada even qualify for the Olympics next year? and if they do would they even realistically compete for a medal? What joke this has all turned out to be. So much for the "Golden Era" of Canadian basketball.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
      Remember all the talk in 2014 about Wiggins as the next LeBron and 2020 Olympics as a legit chance for Canada to compete for Gold? LOL.

Would Canada even qualify for the Olympics next year? and if they do would they even realistically compete for a medal? What joke this has all turned out to be. So much for the "Golden Era" of Canadian basketball.
      They haven't even played yet ..

Comment

Remember all the talk in 2014 about Wiggins as the next LeBron and 2020 Olympics as a legit chance for Canada to compete for Gold? LOL.

Well, we'll find out in this tourney whether they make the Olympics, then they'll have an extra shot with the qualifying tournaments if they miss the cut (have to be a top 2 Americas team at the World Cup to make the direct jump to the Olympics - so best non-US Americas team).

I think they have a solid shot at that. And then at the Olympics they'd have a shot at a medal, though I doubt they'd be favourites to place just yet.

But they are also still very young, this is the very beginning of the golden era of Canadian basketball. How is this is a joke? This is by far the best roster the nation has ever had for one of these tournaments, and every sign has them being even more talented going forward. Just because Wiggins turned out to be bad doesn't mean the team is bad.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

What? They haven't even started playing...

I see the Great One is in fine mid summer form
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

While I am dissapointed that Wiggins is not in the mix, Tean Canada is far more than just a one man team.

We have a budding 22 year old star in Jamal Murray, and 21 year old coming off an all rookie team (2nd) selection in Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. Add in a great vet like Cory Joseph and we have a very solid backcourt. Who else fills it out could be Pangos, ALexander-Walker, or Heslip

The Wing spot is a little up in the air, but we have Dillon Brooks who should be chomping at the bit to get some game action after being shut down with a toe injury back in January. Look for guys like Stauskas, RJ Barrett, Ejim, and even Scrubb or Shayok to get a look on the wing.

In the big category I think we have the bodies to stack up well with anyone out there not the USA. Olynyk, Dwight Powell, and Thompson look like locks. THe next wave of guys fighting for a roster are very good players in Brandon Clarke, Boucher, Lyles, Wiltjer, and Mfiondu Kabengele.

I think we are in great shape.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• If Barrett plays well then not having Wiggins there is even less of an issue. The only real position of need for Canada is at SF but if RJ takes the reins there, then it's a very solid group. It's a tough draw but Canada will definitely be the most athletic team in the mix and they will be well coached (as opposed to some past instances).

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                If Barrett plays well then not having Wiggins there is even less of an issue. The only real position of need for Canada is at SF but if RJ takes the reins there, then it's a very solid group. It's a tough draw but Canada will definitely be the most athletic team in the mix and they will be well coached (as opposed to some past instances).
                Yep, probably why his dad didn't over recruit Wiggins lol. Let him grow into the role. 2024 is the real strike while the irons hot year, as Murray, Barrett, SGA and whoever else will all be in their prime years.

Wiggins is a lazy and takes more than he gives in a basketball game. His scoring can be found elsewhere, I'd rather have all guys with a motor on them
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Yep, probably why his dad didn't over recruit Wiggins lol. Let him grow into the role. 2024 is the real strike while the irons hot year, as Murray, Barrett, SGA and whoever else will all be in their prime years.

Wiggins is a lazy and takes more than he gives in a basketball game. His scoring can be found elsewhere, I'd rather have all guys with a motor on them
                  Perfectly said ... Wiggins laziness on the defense would be more of a negative then the offense he provides ... At this point don't even bother inviting or asking him again ...

Comment

• I like that Brandon Clarke got an invite. Surprise summer league MVP, could be the steal of the draft for Memphis.

Comment

• Here's the problem with Canada Basketball. The Canadian media like Grange and Doug Smith etc...hype these guys like crazy. I still remember the Myck Kabongo and Kevin Pangos hype lol. I bought into the Wiggins, Bennett and TYLER ENNIS hype years ago, it was a mistake, it will NEVER happen again. Remember the Wiggins and Ennis hype in 2014? holy shit. People here were talking about Ennis as a top 5 pick. And obviously everyone remember the Wiggins/LeBron comparison.

The BEST Canadian player playing in the NBA by far is Jamal Murray and i look at him as a borderline all star. Is Barrett ever gonna be as good as Murray? Clarke? or are they just another overhyped Canadian player? i'm not letting my hopes up but we'll see.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

What? They haven't even started playing...

I see the Great One is in fine mid summer form
                        YES, because we know basketball teams with ZERO NBA all stars can compete against teams loaded with NBA all stars and hof'ers like Spain, USA and France.

Fuck, could Canada even compete against teams like Australia, Lithuania, Slovenia etc...?
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

YES, because we know basketball teams with ZERO NBA all stars can compete against teams loaded with NBA all stars and hof'ers like Spain, USA and France.

Fuck, could Canada even compete against teams like Australia, Lithuania, Slovenia etc...?
                          So let’s take out USA from your example.
                          Who are the hall of famers or all stars playing for France or Spain? Canada should def be able to compete with Australia, Lithuania, or Slovenia.

Comment

In a one & done format, upsets can and do happen. Especially FIBA, since that’s not as familiar to most USA players. Heck, upsets happen all the time in the NBA. Like the no-star Clippers beating the Warriors with KD, Steph, Klay & Draymond at full strength. Twice. The thing is that Canada has closed the talent gap with the US to the point where an upset is actually possible, unlike the past.
                            Last edited by golden; Thu Jul 18, 2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Here's the problem with Canada Basketball. The Canadian media like Grange and Doug Smith etc...hype these guys like crazy. I still remember the Myck Kabongo and Kevin Pangos hype lol. I bought into the Wiggins, Bennett and TYLER ENNIS hype years ago, it was a mistake, it will NEVER happen again. Remember the Wiggins and Ennis hype in 2014? holy shit. People here were talking about Ennis as a top 5 pick. And obviously everyone remember the Wiggins/LeBron comparison.

The BEST Canadian player playing in the NBA by far is Jamal Murray and i look at him as a borderline all star. Is Barrett ever gonna be as good as Murray? Clarke? or are they just another overhyped Canadian player? i'm not letting my hopes up but we'll see.
                              Do they hype or just pay a lot of attention to them cause they are Canadians and were doing well in the NCAA ? Was the Canadian media putting Wiggins in front of a SI magazine ? Isn't being drafted number 1 in the NBA a good reason to have hype put apond you . There was a time when being drafted in the second round was a huge accomplishment for Canada basketball and so when media was talking about
                              Myck Kabongo and Kevin Pangos at the type they were talking about be good enough to be drafted ..

Instead of
                              emphasizing on the negative … How about looking at what we were last decade and what we are now …

Heck we have a NBA champion coach leading Canada and that is a upgrade to Jay Triano but holly crap we are in a division with Australia and Lithuanian ...
                              Last edited by guyroch; Thu Jul 18, 2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• On paper, Canada is the favorite of the group, however Lithuanian (let's go boys) and Australian (4th in Rio Olympics) national teams have much more experience/proven track record of success so... The toughest group in the tournament, it's going to be a massacre.
                                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                                X