Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2KJ wrote: View Post
    Why is this not a problem for the Europeans and other international players? Most of which are even better than these "canadians". The hockey players always play, even football players like Alphonso Davies played at the Gold Cup this year. They said coaching was the issue so they brought in Nick Nurse who is fresh off a championship run. I would understand guys who are injured (RJ, Murray) or fighting for their NBA lives (Anthony Bennett), but what about the others? This is Rick Fox/Jamal Magloire all over again. Such a disgrace!
    Micheal Grange said the majority of the excuses is that it is " inconvenient " I say wow to that ..

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      Starting lineup is probably:

Cojo, Heslip, Ejim, Olynyk, Birch

Is that enough to get by Australia and Lithuania...?! Couldn't tell you.

Let's see if Nurse can pull something creative.
      This is FIBA basketball and so scores will be in the 70's to 80's …
      Lithuania only has 2 NBA players and both are centres ..

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
        Part of me wants to blame money—so much is at stake for the next contract. But damn, Wiggins just signed his and is locked up for a long time.
        Lowry just finished being in the NBA finals and is in a contract year and he showed up for Team U.S .. If you don't want to go there is always an excuse … IF you do want to go then nothing will stop you ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

Lowry just finished being in the NBA finals and is in a contract year and he showed up for Team U.S .. If you don't want to go there is always an excuse … IF you do want to go then nothing will stop you ..
          and Lowry's fingers are still in a cast.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

and Lowry's fingers are still in a cast.
            guyroch wrote: View Post

Lowry I think knows if he wins gold that is another thing on Legacy resume .. What is Wiggins legacy ? What is Nik Stalkus legacy ? With all those America's saying no this would have been the perfect time to bring out Canada's dream team …

Last edited by guyroch; Tue Aug 6, 2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Micheal Grange said the majority of the excuses is that it is " inconvenient " I say wow to that ..
              Teams and agents don't want their players to play in these things and discourage it behind the scenes and players don't want to give up their vacation playing what for them is basically meaningless basketball. It's unfortunate but I get it.

It does strike me though that many of the guys bowing out, especially the younger players, could greatly benefit by playing some meaningful minutes for a great coach in high pressure situations. I'm not sure they are doing themselves any favours.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Teams and agents don't want their players to play in these things and discourage it behind the scenes and players don't want to give up their vacation playing what for them is basically meaningless basketball. It's unfortunate but I get it.

It does strike me though that many of the guys bowing out, especially the younger players, could greatly benefit by playing some meaningful minutes for a great coach in high pressure situations. I'm not sure they are doing themselves any favours.
                Vacation time ? They are going to spend time in Toronto and Australia before going to China …

IF time zone is a issue Shenzhen, Guangdong are going to host a bunch of NBA preason games ..
                Last edited by guyroch; Tue Aug 6, 2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Vacation time ? They are going to spend time in Toronto and Australia before going to China …

IF time zone is a issue Shenzhen, Guangdong are going to host a bunch of NBA preason games ..
                  Yep, vacation time. I highly doubt most of these guys are working out 8 hours a day seven days a week for 4-5 months. They want time off and away from basketball. It is understandable. You also don't know how many guys are banged up physically or mentally or have other personal issued to deal with.

Let's put it this way: playing in this event is clearly not a high priority. Guys who are playing clearly enjoy it and want to play but they are a small group.

Comment

• I must say that loss to Venezuela did have a long lasting negative impression ( Thanks Jay ) to Canada basketball ... Nik's and Wiggins experience of that event left such a bad taste in their mouth that they have never got over it .. Imagine if they had won and were off to the Olympics ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_-TMhyWlwk

Wow at the 3.34 mark of the 4th quarter they were up 5 ..
                    Last edited by guyroch; Tue Aug 6, 2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• The ONLY Canadians, Canadian basketball fans should celebrate. Cory Joe and Kelly Olynyk.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• As for the injured players -- again I give RJ and Murray a pass -- but then you see Lowry out there for USA....just makes you think. Dude just had a surgery on his left thumb a couple of weeks ago.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• It would be cool if this team became the Chris Boucher show.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                            It would be cool if this team became the Chris Boucher show.
                            During the game he could go off but in the 4th he will likely see the bench in favor of Olynynk & Birch.

Edit: Than again Nurse is a mad scientist who likes to experiment heh

Last edited by Hotshot; Tue Aug 6, 2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Watch there be more mysterious ailments and commitments popping up in the next month.

itll end up being olynyk, joseph, and the scrubb brothers again.
                              I really do hate to say I told you so..
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• All of the guys that have backed out have done more for their country, sacrificed more for their country than most of us ever will, unless we have some veterans in the crew. I can't say a thing to them that is negative. They were there when the National basketball program was hanging on by a thread. Giving up 4 or 5 weeks a year of their time for us all. They are heroes to me.

It's no good comparing them to other countries. Different cultures, different values and different attention from the citizens of their homelands.

Soon, there will be enough Canadian NBA players that half of them could stay home and Canada will still medal. This is all part of the building process. The growing interest in basketball in Canada will lead to growing interest players that participate and there will be increased interest in playing for Canada I suspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X