Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I don't think its usually their pro teams telling guys not to play (although in some circumstances it would be), its agents and their "camps" and all the hangers on making money off of them
    Yea. If I’m Wiggins agent I’m telling him to lock himself in a gym all summer and work on his 3 point shot. Next season is make or break for him. May already be broke but if he can come back with a reliable 3 point shot that will really help him. Can’t practice that as well during a national team practice.

Comment

• It should also be pointed that that FIBA backing up this tourney from 2018 to get out from under soccer hasn't exactly helped. I suspect a lot of players didn't want to be tied down two off seasons in a row (2019 and 2020), especially when they don't play in any FIBA games anymore given the new qualifying nonsense.

I hated the new FIBA qualifying system when they started it and I still do. Yeah, FIBA is making more money but I think in the long run it's going to be bad for business when you can't get the best NBA players to attend.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        It should also be pointed that that FIBA backing up this tourney from 2018 to get out from under soccer hasn't exactly helped. I suspect a lot of players didn't want to be tied down two off seasons in a row (2019 and 2020), especially when they don't play in any FIBA games anymore given the new qualifying nonsense.

I hated the new FIBA qualifying system when they started it and I still do. Yeah, FIBA is making more money but I think in the long run it's going to be bad for business when you can't get the best NBA players to attend.
        I don't think FIBA cares.

They care about the money first.

Another corrupt organization to go along with FIFA.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Sure you can. You think OKC gives a damn about Gallo? He was salary ballast in that trade.
          He is a trade chip ..

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Yea. If I’m Wiggins agent I’m telling him to lock himself in a gym all summer and work on his 3 point shot. Next season is make or break for him. May already be broke but if he can come back with a reliable 3 point shot that will really help him. Can’t practice that as well during a national team practice.
            Make or break year ? He is on a long term deal at 30 million. He isn't going to get a buy out .. How about going to play for Canada and be a lead in accomplishing something and getting that feeling of winning .. Practing with a trainer or getting in game practice against great quality opponents .. Which benefits you more . I think the reason he doesn't want to play for Canada is his problem . He wants his summer off .. If he was saying no to Canada and working on his game we would have seen some progress. He says no to Canada cause he wants to enjoy his long summer breaks

Last edited by guyroch; Fri Aug 9, 2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

Make or break year ? He is on a long term deal at 30 million. He isn't going to get a buy out .. How about going to play for Canada and be a lead in accomplishing something and getting that feeling of winning .. Practing with a trainer or getting in game practice against great quality opponents .. Which benefits you more . I think the reason he doesn't want to play for Canada is his problem . He wants his summer off .. If he was saying no to Canada and working on his game we would have seen some progress. He says no to Canada cause he wants to enjoy his long summer breaks
              oh I don't disagree at all. Part of Wiggins problem in my view is that he doesn't love basketball the way Lowry does.
              My comment was more to the above about owners or the commish getting involved and what an NBA agent is telling the players. I gotta think his agent is telling him to work on his game.

Comment

• Well Canada lost to Nigaria.

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-falls-to-n...ndly-1.1349240

Canadian coach Nick Nurse received a technical foul with seven minutes left in the game after arguing with the referee about fouls. One fan yelled, "Do you know who he is?" to the official, referring to Nurse coaching the Toronto Raptors to an NBA championship this year.
                lmao show Nurse the respect he deserve!

Comment

• I was at that game. Team Canada is lacking a lot of talent, Nigeria actually played them well. Other than Cojo and the NCAA kid everyone else (there were some Raptors bench warmers) was pretty lackluster. Give Cojo credit though, he plays hard and it was just a tune up match.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                    I was at that game. Team Canada is lacking a lot of talent, Nigeria actually played them well. Other than Cojo and the NCAA kid everyone else (there were some Raptors bench warmers) was pretty lackluster. Give Cojo credit though, he plays hard and it was just a tune up match.
                    Yeah shooting is the only thing that will save this team and Nurse's playbook.

Physicality & athleticism is sorley lacking. Interior defence in the paint area is poor. JV & Joe Ingles are two players team Canada might not have answers for or enough fire power to mitigate what they are going to do.

Not having a Jamal Murray in terms of leadership and scoring capability is an X factor that Canada may not overcome.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

He is a trade chip ..
                      I mean, in the loosest sense of the word, sure. I don't think anyone is giving up much of value for him at all. Maybe if they can dump salary on you at the same time - in which case it doesn't matter much if he is healthy.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• How well does Canada need to play in the World Cup to be eligible for the Olympics? Does anyone know? Do they have to medal? Or is there another tourney after the World Cup to decide who makes the Olympics?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          How well does Canada need to play in the World Cup to be eligible for the Olympics? Does anyone know? Do they have to medal? Or is there another tourney after the World Cup to decide who makes the Olympics?
                          They have to come top 2 of the Americas teams in the World Cup. USA probably takes first place so that leaves everybody else from the Americas fighting for one spot. There is another last chance tourney just before the olympics.

Comment

• Gonzz wrote: View Post

They have to come top 2 of the Americas teams in the World Cup. USA probably takes first place so that leaves everybody else from the Americas fighting for one spot. There is another last chance tourney just before the olympics.
                            But in order to do that Canada has to be one of the two teams that advance to the round robin past their original group. Unfortunately Canada was placed in a really tough H(ell) group with both Australia & Lithuania that are considered in the top 5 to 10 in the world.

Someone like Argentina, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Brazil were placed in a much easier group to get out in the top 2 (in fact there is no competition too tough for them not to finish in the top 2).

Fuck FIBA.

Comment

• Okay so the chances of making the Olympics seems slim now unless that second tourney after the World Cup goes our way. I assume no NBA players will be in that tourney though. If most aren't playing in the World Cup why would they play in a qualifying Olympics tourney?

I guess the next goal is 2024 then. I'm not liking our chances there either. I think the "Golden age" of Canada Basketball was over hyped.. just like Andrew Wiggins was in 2014.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Okay so the chances of making the Olympics seems slim now unless that second tourney after the World Cup goes our way. I assume no NBA players will be in that tourney though. If most aren't playing in the World Cup why would they play in a qualifying Olympics tourney?

I guess the next goal is 2024 then. I'm not liking our chances there either. I think the "Golden age" of Canada Basketball was over hyped.. just like Andrew Wiggins was in 2014.
                                Lets not jump ahead until we see the result of this tournamemt first.

if Canada fails to qualify in the World Cup to the Olympic games, I still like their chances to qualify in the pre-Olympics stage because that tournamemt will likely be in the begining of summer and Jamal Murray & Barrett were in fact committed (pulled out due to injuries) so that would be a huge boast when they return.

Comment

Working...
                                X