No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's lack of culture in Canadian national team and it's a thing, which does not happen overnight. It starts from proper camps and coaches (great conditions) to actual achievements from which the team gets fan support and drive to build on that history. The only thing, which I see Canada having at the moment is a good coach and infrastructure (maybe??). Of course, having national pride in representing your country helps, but that's the thing with immigrant countries (which are amazing, don't get me wrong here) it's very hard to find that one identity. Technically that should be easy, united through the game of basketball. Not sure what's happening in Canada when hockey is being played internationally.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
      There's lack of culture in Canadian national team and it's a thing, which does not happen overnight. It starts from proper camps and coaches (great conditions) to actual achievements from which the team gets fan support and drive to build on that history. The only thing, which I see Canada having at the moment is a good coach and infrastructure (maybe??). Of course, having national pride in representing your country helps, but that's the thing with immigrant countries (which are amazing, don't get me wrong here) it's very hard to find that one identity. Technically that should be easy, united through the game of basketball. Not sure what's happening in Canada when hockey is being played internationally.
      I do think we need a type of Lebron James or as recently as Kawai for Canada basketball .. A guy like Murray coming to play and picking up the phone recruiting .. All our great players are good at leading by saying no …

I do think the coaching and culture is well established and we get great teams in our youth programs but the senior team keeps dropping the ball ..

Comment

• I do take a small measure of hope in Murray and Barrett both seemingly sitting out last minute for completely legitimate reasons. If those 2 are invested its huge as I believe they're our 2 most important players in the next 5 years. Hopefully the SGA's, Lyles, Thompsons (s/o NEEDTRISTANTHOMPSON), recent draftees would follow these 2 into battle in the future
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I do take a small measure of hope in Murray and Barrett both seemingly sitting out last minute for completely legitimate reasons. If those 2 are invested its huge as I believe they're our 2 most important players in the next 5 years. Hopefully the SGA's, Lyles, Thompsons (s/o NEEDTRISTANTHOMPSON), recent draftees would follow these 2 into battle in the future
          I too hope Barrett and Murray lead the next generation of Canadians to some sort of success .. Although the next Worlds is again on the other side of the ocean in
          Indonesia and Japan and Philippines and so we might again see Canadian say no again ..
          Last edited by guyroch; Tue Aug 13, 2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Well Miami isn't going to allow him to go back. It's over!

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
              Well Miami isn't going to allow him to go back. It's over!

And with that our Olympic chances .. This team is at risk of going 0 for this tournament.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph goes home.
              Last edited by guyroch; Tue Aug 13, 2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

And with that our Olympic chances .. This team is at risk of going 0 for this tournament.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph goes home.
                Meh

Comment

• Wow, what a meltdown...
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Why can't we ever have anything nice?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Puffer;n1312683]Why can't we ever have anything nice?[/QUOTE

Okay . Big props to all the guys who are there … A lot of them helped Canada qualify to the Worlds and often flew across the ocean just to play 2 qualifying games and then go back to their pro team .. Brady Heslip who once even played for the Pan Am games and then also a qualifying tournament in the same summer .. I hope they become the underdog story of the tournament .

Comment

• http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...Zj3A2vfMu2SvxM

This isn't actual ranking but ranking according to roster and what teams have done in exhibition games .. Since Canada is in the group of death they have 2 possible rankings .. I don't know if this was done prior to Olynyk
                        Last edited by guyroch; Wed Aug 14, 2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...Zj3A2vfMu2SvxM

This isn't actual ranking but ranking according to roster and what teams have done in exhibition games .. Since Canada is in the group of death they have 2 possible rankings .. I don't know if this was done prior to Olynyk
                          Yeah, the problem with FIBA rankings is that what happened well in the past still lingers on to today. Could be wrong, but I believe that that Wiggins/Triano debacle vs. Venezuela from way back contributes in some way to Venezuela getting an easier group than Canada for this World Cup.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, the problem with FIBA rankings is that what happened well in the past still lingers on to today. Could be wrong, but I believe that that Wiggins/Triano debacle vs. Venezuela from way back contributes in some way to Venezuela getting an easier group than Canada for this World Cup.
                            This isn't actual rankings though … Funny this person compiling the rankings had Nigeria higher then Lithuania …

Comment

This isn't actual rankings though … Funny this person compiling the rankings had Nigeria higher then Lithuania …
                              Yeah, I know... your post just reminded me of some of the reasons why (I think) we got stuck in the Group of Death.

Comment

• https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...kyo-not-reach/

That leaves Canada’s NBA representation at two, at least in theory: Olynyk’s long-time national team running mate, point guard Cory Joseph of the Sacramento Kings and Orlando Magic big man Khem Birch – as the team gets set to kick off a five-game exhibition series in Australia with back-to-back games against the home team in Perth on Friday and Saturday.

Why in theory? Because according to ace Australian hoops reporter Olgun Uluc, Joseph hadn’t joined the team in Australia, missing its practice in Perth on Wednesday.

No one with Canada Basketball would comment on Joseph’s absence.

Given that Joseph was wavering about joining the team for the World Cup as the first wave of withdrawals hit the roster, it’s a situation that has to be concerning.

Comment

Working...
                                X