No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that might have been the tournament right there. We needed to win that Lithuania is going to be an even tougher team, a lot of those guys have played a lot together. Not to mention JV and Sabonis are both more talented then anyone Australia put on the court. I hope we have a chance to beat them but it's very hard to see it happing.
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Respect & congrads! If anyone had a legitimate excuse to miss this tournament but he still went.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
        Respect & congrads! If anyone had a legitimate excuse to miss this tournament but he still went.

Congrats and all...but man you make a sacrifice like that and the team will drop you in a heartbeat next year if the NBA guys want to play. Crazy.

Comment

• Ejim looked pretty good the few minutes I watched last night. How did I not know he’s (basically) a guard?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            Ejim looked pretty good the few minutes I watched last night. How did I not know he’s (basically) a guard?
            He is more of a 3/4 than a 2/3. Nice strong wing though, moves his feet well to stay in front of people and is strong enough to not get back down in the post.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• A lot of FIBA America teams doing well but they dont have to face the type of teams Canada has to face . Not only group of death but dont get to face a weak opponent till last game .
              Last edited by guyroch; Mon Sep 2, 2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Congrats and all...but man you make a sacrifice like that and the team will drop you in a heartbeat next year if the NBA guys want to play. Crazy.
                Due to the lack of participants of NBA players, Ejim will have no problems securing a spot as he is in my estimation a borderline NBA player.

This was a bad year but if Murray , Barrett & Olynyk haven't pulled out due to injuries team Canada would certainly would win 2 out of the 3 matches to get past this group of death.

I don't expect team Canada to ever fill up all the roster with NBA guys but if they just cover the starters positions with NBA guys than they would still be one of the best in the world.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

That's a decision he will likely regret...

Comment

• Even if we lose tonight, I think we can still qualify next year for the Olympics, and maybe that's what all the guys who sat out are counting on?
                    We just need to be Top 2 from the FIBA Americas, which should be pretty easy ... no?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                      Even if we lose tonight, I think we can still qualify next year for the Olympics, and maybe that's what all the guys who sat out are counting on?
                      We just need to be Top 2 from the FIBA Americas, which should be pretty easy ... no?
                      We should be able to field a better team next year but so would the opponant.

Let's not forget how Canada had to beat France in order to qualify last time which obviously didn't go well.

If however we can field this likely starting lineup next summer: Cojo, Murray, Barrett, Olynyk & Birch than fill the rest with Euroleague/G league guys than it should be enough.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

We should be able to field a better team next year but so would the opponant.
                        If we can get our absolute best guys out there, I'm confident we're the second best team in the World as far as pure talent and depth goes.

Comment

Even if we lose tonight, I think we can still qualify next year for the Olympics, and maybe that's what all the guys who sat out are counting on?
                          Yeah.. I looked it up.. so the qualifying tournament is described here:
                          https://www.cnet.com/news/basketball...-need-to-know/

At this tournament, the top two teams from the Americas, the top two teams from Europe, and the top teams from Africa, Asia and Oceania will qualify for Tokyo. The 16 next-best teams, plus two selected teams per region, will then be invited to play in one of four FIBA qualifying tournaments in 2020. The winning team from each of those tournaments will qualify for Tokyo.

At this tournament, the top two teams from the Americas, the top two teams from Europe, and the top teams from Africa, Asia and Oceania will qualify for Tokyo. The 16 next-best teams, plus two selected teams per region, will then be invited to play in one of four FIBA qualifying tournaments in 2020. The winning team from each of those tournaments will qualify for Tokyo.
                          There are 32 teams in the world cup. 6 of those teams are guaranteed as is Japan as the Olympics are there - which makes 7 teams. Assuming Canada doesn't make it out of the world cup.. they would have to be one of those 16 best teams that didn't.

If they are.. then they get to play in one of 4 tourney's.. and have to win their tourney to qualify.

Let's hope that qualifying tourney is in the summer when the NBA is not in business.

Comment

If we can get our absolute best guys out there, I'm confident we're the second best team in the World as far as pure talent and depth goes.
                            But we wont get the absolute best guys. However the 3 other guys who didnt make it due to legitimate injuries like Murray, Barrett and Olynyk are the most likely to be committed next summer.

Everybody else are a question mark & probably a no. Maybe SGA & Boucher are the most likely NBA candidate's to join as well.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah.. I looked it up.. so the qualifying tournament is described here:
                              https://www.cnet.com/news/basketball...-need-to-know/

There are 32 teams in the world cup. 6 of those teams are guaranteed as is Japan as the Olympics are there - which makes 7 teams. Assuming Canada doesn't make it out of the world cup.. they would have to be one of those 16 best teams that didn't.

If they are.. then they get to play in one of 4 tourney's.. and have to win their tourney to qualify.

Let's hope that qualifying tourney is in the summer when the NBA is not in business.
                              If Canada can't be the second best team in the Americas, then we probably don't deserve to go to Tokyo, regardless of the excuses.

Comment

• Preach!

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X