Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post
    Sounds like Rowan Barrett is part of the problem.
    Based on new info? Or general consensus around here?

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
      Sounds like Rowan Barrett is part of the problem.
      I don't know enough about it but when Doug Smith is writing articles pushing to fire people you know something has gone seriously awry.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Based on new info? Or general consensus around here?
        Doug Smith, apparently. lol.

Still, Barrett doesn't seem like the mover/shaker/influencer type that we need to convince NBA players to come out. He just happened to be the default day-to-day operations guy who got promoted when the absentee boss, Steve Nash, formally bailed. The only complication is RJ, or else they probably should have cleaned house when Nash left, tbh.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/baske...p-letdown.html

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't know enough about it but when Doug Smith is writing articles pushing to fire people you know something has gone seriously awry.
          Yet in typical Doug Smith fashion, he doesn't actually present a solid case. Other than just looking at the result, i.e., what every other armchair critic can look at from the outside and chip in their 2 cents. Again, classic Doug Smith deep analysis.

The truth is that Barrett just inherited this mess and made one great move already (hiring Nurse). Doug Smith should be calling out Steve Nash for this clusterf*ck, but Doug is a card carrying Nash fanboy.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yet in typical Doug Smith fashion, he doesn't actually present a solid case. Other than just looking at the result, i.e., what every other armchair critic can look at from the outside and chip in their 2 cents. Again, classic Doug Smith deep analysis.

The truth is that Barrett just inherited this mess and made one great move already (hiring Nurse). Doug Smith should be calling out Steve Nash for this clusterf*ck, but Doug is a card carrying Nash fanboy.
            I haven't read the article cause I don't have a star subscription (perhaps someone could copy and paste? ) but I always feel this way about Doug. Wish him health and all but I'd prefer he move along as far as Raps writers go. Never on point.

How is this Rowan's fault? Give him some time for godsake. And yeah, let's alienate RJ immediately. Great thinking Doug.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I haven't read the article cause I don't have a star subscription (perhaps someone could copy and paste? ) but I always feel this way about Doug. Wish him health and all but I'd prefer he move along as far as Raps writers go. Never on point.

How is this Rowan's fault? Give him some time for godsake. And yeah, let's alienate RJ immediately. Great thinking Doug.
              Here it is. Doug never mentioned Nash's name once, even in passing. It really feels like he has some hidden agenda here (defending Nash & Jay Triano).

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't know what Doug Smith wrote and I really have no interest in reading any Doug Smith articles. But just based on what Lewenberg tweeted today about Barrett saying "this is not a Canadian problem", points to other teams in the Americas brackets that were also missing players and FIBA schedule. That's a WEAK answer.

If you look at all the top USA players that did not participate -- LeBron, Westbrook, Curry, Harden etc...those guys have done it before. The top players for Canada never participates in these tournaments. It's ALWAYS Joseph, Olynyk, Thompson and Bennett. So it's definitely a Canadian problem when it happens every damn tournament.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Barrett has been GM for, what, 8 months? Geez Doug.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• jesus Doug
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• ^^ golden, I love how you copied/pasted the entire article in an image. Can avoid giving Doug clicks that way. lol

Yeah Doug needs to cool down a bit. Not sure what Rowan could have done differently. He hired Nurse, an NBA championship coach.. and that didn't help lure some guys in. I mean the only thing he can try to do is create some bigger sponsorship program to help pay these guys. But that's never really going to happen. The public isn't really interested in it. If it was hockey than sure they would - but not basketball unfortunately.

Comment

• Doug Smith doubled down today on his attack on Barrett. WTF? Never seen ole' Smitty this worked up about going after a GM, coach, player, etc.... for any reason.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Doug Smith doubled down today on his attack on Barrett. WTF? Never seen ole' Smitty this worked up about going after a GM, coach, player, etc.... for any reason.

Don't ever compare Triano with Nurse.

Big L for Doug Smith.

Still remember him getting pissed off for firing Casey & trading DeRozan lol

Comment

• If Doug’s out, I’m in. Rowan Barrett - long may he serve!

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              If Doug’s out, I’m in. Rowan Barrett - long may he serve!
                              Hahahahaha! Good one.

in all seriousness for him not to even mention Steve Nash’s name in the article is a bit weak. Barrett has been in the role a short time. Do you think his son is more likely or less likely to play next year if his dad gets fired? Jeezus.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Don't ever compare Triano with Nurse.

Big L for Doug Smith.

Still remember him getting pissed off for firing Casey & trading DeRozan lol
                                Yeah, look at his avatar. Doug uses his platform to reward people who treat him with respect and who he personally likes. Barrett probably did something that got under his skin, like blow him off when RJ got drafted. Just my guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X