Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post
    Also, for that last shot, they should've designed a play for Wiggins. I get that Lyles got a wide open look but I don't trust him to make those shots. Wiggins on the other hand is pretty clutch and is more than capable of making difficult shots. Always give the ball to your best player.
    Forget about Lyles - the game was lost in the first half. Our defense absolutely sucked. Czechs were getting layup after layup and wide open 3s. Czechs came out with force, Canada wasn't ready and it gave them a lot of confidence that they could actually beat a superior talented team.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Meh. We already have 10X the talent of the Czechs without those guys. FIBA is like that sometimes. One & done, like March Madness. The best team doesn't always win. It's happened to the US many times.
      The reffing, the different style of ball, the guys not showing, one and done games - FIBA tournaments are virtually always a mix of irritating and underwhelming for Team Canada. Always.

You also really can't underestimate how important it is that a lot of international team guys have a bunch of playing experience together (in FIBA in particular) and teams like Canada and USA are just slapping guys together at the last minute.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
        The refs cost the team 6 points on total bs in the 4th, and another 4 points of garbage in ot.

Too bad team canada didn't realize the urgency they needed to play with until it was too late. You can't pin this loss on Lyles. Disappointing considering how much talent we have. Oh well, bring on 2024? Maybe we can tank and get 4th pick?
        He was 1-7 FG, 0-4 on 3s that were all wide open easy makes. Watching live he just killed our momentum every time he touched the ball unless he was driving and got fouled.

If we add any of the missing players Lyles are the first minutes I would give to someone else.

Cory Joseph sucked big time as well.
        Last edited by Primer; Sat Jul 3, 2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• Damn. Really could have used a couple more NBA bigs.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

The reffing, the different style of ball, the guys not showing, one and done games - FIBA tournaments are virtually always a mix of irritating and underwhelming for Team Canada. Always.

You also really can't underestimate how important it is that a lot of international team guys have a bunch of playing experience together (in FIBA in particular) and teams like Canada and USA are just slapping guys together at the last minute.
            I think that whole "international teams have been playing together forever" thing is a bit overblown. Czech's best player, Satoransky, stayed in Chicago since the NBA finished and just joined the team when they landed in Canada. He missed all the tune up games. The other guy who killed us, Schilb, only started representing the national team in 2019.

By contrast: CoJo, Powell, Wiggins, Bennett, Nicholson & Doornekamp were all on the 2015 Fiba Americas team. That's half the roster right there, which is excellent continuity for Canada.

We're running out of excuses, man. This loss today is kind of unexplainable, other than, the Czechs just had everything go right for them.

Comment

• Turkey just lost to Greece. Smfh.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

I think that whole "international teams have been playing together forever" thing is a bit overblown. Czech's best player, Satoransky, stayed in Chicago since the NBA finished and just joined the team when they landed in Canada. He missed all the tune up games. The other guy who killed us, Schilb, only started representing the national team in 2019.

By contrast: CoJo, Powell, Wiggins, Bennett, Nicholson & Doornekamp were all on the 2015 Fiba Americas team. That's half the roster right there, which is excellent continuity for Canada.

We're running out of excuses, man. This loss today is kind of unexplainable, other than, the Czechs just had everything go right for them.
                They lost because 1. they couldn't make any 3's and 2. because of lack of interior presence. You can't have Nicholson as your backup big. I've never seen a softer big than him.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

He was 1-7 FG, 0-4 on 3s that were all wide open easy makes. Watching live he just killed our momentum every time he touched the ball unless he was driving and got fouled.

If we add any of the missing players Lyles are the first minutes I would give to someone else.

Cory Joseph sucked big time as well.

The rest of the team was 9 for 33 in 3pt shots (a whopping 27%), and Lyles lost the game? Please. The fact that the defensive effort wasn't there for 48 minutes was his fault too?

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

They lost because 1. they couldn't make any 3's and 2. because of lack of interior presence. You can't have Nicholson as your backup big. I've never seen a softer big than him.
                    Not disagreeing with those either. Plus, CoJo was terrible.

Comment

Satoransky has been in the Czech national program since 2010. I think you're underestimating the difference between European national programs and some of these Canadians playing a couple tournaments together. There's a HUGE difference.

USAB recognized that after the 2004 debacle and built a proper program and have generally been fine since. Canada needs a real program instead of slapped together teams.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Satoransky has been in the Czech national program since 2010. I think you're underestimating the difference between European national programs and some of these Canadians playing a couple tournaments together. There's a HUGE difference.

USAB recognized that after the 2004 debacle and built a proper program and have generally been fine since. Canada needs a real program instead of slapped together teams.
                        I raise you CoJo, who has been in “the program” since at least 2008. Barrett’s been in the program since he was 14. These guys aren’t all just showing up as adults, like Schilb did with Czech. A number of them have played on the U17/18/19 teams.

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post

The rest of the team was 9 for 33 in 3pt shots (a whopping 27%), and Lyles lost the game? Please. The fact that the defensive effort wasn't there for 48 minutes was his fault too?
                          I am not making excuses but these New FIBA balls are a bit getting used too . The U.S were complaining about them at the last Worlds ..

Comment

• Greece handled Turkey quite easy yesterday .. It doesn't mean we would have won Sunday if we got by yesterday . It just means that their wasn't wasn't super team that we would have been over matched with in this tournament and we were playing at home .. You can't friggin shoot the way they did and expect to have sucess .

Cujo was late to camp decided to take his time . He hadn't played since late May and so some rust have been their .

Comment

• I do think the key was making it too the Olympics . I wish these guys like Olynk and Tristian at least just gave us 3 weeks of their summer . You think they would have tried to redeem their playoff loss to Venezuela .. They only would have to played 2 games ( they could have easily taken China off )

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                                I do think the key was making it too the Olympics . I wish these guys like Olynk and Tristian at least just gave us 3 weeks of their summer . You think they would have tried to redeem their playoff loss to Venezuela .. They only would have to played 2 games ( they could have easily taken China off )
                                Yeah, Olynyk would have helped a lot. We shot 24% from 3 on high volume. Kelly is usually pretty clutch in high pressure games, playoffs or international.

Conversely, we allowed them to shoot 46% from 3 and one random dude named Schilb played the game of his life. Czechs just surgically picked apart our defense - exploited size mismatch inside and then kicked out, swung the ball and found wide open shooters on the perimeter.

They really came out swinging in the first quarter, punched us in the mouth and we never really recovered. We never looked ready to play or comfortable the whole game.

Have to tip your hat to the Czechs, rather than play the blame game.

Comment

Working...
                                X