No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well U.S loses another warn up game .. Aussies beat them . Well going back to last Worlds .. That is 4 losses in last 5 games

Comment

• I still think the US should be a massive favorite to win gold but I don't understand how they're 0-2. This is not the same team as the 04 team. The 04 team had Duncan and Iverson as their 2 best players and then they had a young LeBron, Melo and Wade and a bunch of role players like Jeffersson and Odom and Boozer. This current team is not the same. They have future hall of famers all in the prime of their careers up and down their lineup. I don't understand how they're 0-2. I say this though, Ingles probably gave them extra motivation by taking that layup and talking shit after. Not smart. If i'm Ingles I would just shut the hell up. Where was this against the Clippers?
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I do wonder about their roster balance. That whole "let's take four alpha 30 ppg guys and start them together" or whatever is exactly what doesn't work. I'm not going to be the biggest fan of a team giving Dame/Beal/Lavine heavy minutes out there with KD, Tatum. There's a lot of skillset overlap ( = wasted talent, there's only so many shots a game) there and more than enough suspect defence.

They've learned this before, Canada has with hockey too. You have to build a team, not just load up on big names who score a lot.

That said, they should still be fine. We'll see if they can flip the switch. That itself is a risk for NBA guys in one and done FIBA games. Should take these warm ups seriously.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          I do wonder about their roster balance. That whole "let's take four alpha 30 ppg guys and start them together" or whatever is exactly what doesn't work. I'm not going to be the biggest fan of a team giving Dame/Beal/Lavine heavy minutes out there with KD, Tatum. There's a lot of skillset overlap ( = wasted talent, there's only so many shots a game) there and more than enough suspect defence.

They've learned this before, Canada has with hockey too. You have to build a team, not just load up on big names who score a lot.

That said, they should still be fine. We'll see if they can flip the switch. That itself is a risk for NBA guys in one and done FIBA games. Should take these warm ups seriously.
          Is there any logic that a starting five of Patty Mills/Dellavedova/Ingles/Thybull and friggin Aron Baynes could beat a team with a KD , Lillard and Beal team ? That Aussie team would be a NBA lottery team .

I know the FIBA ball and NBA balls are the same size but the U.S resembled Canada when it came to shooting ..
          Last edited by guyroch; Tue Jul 13, 2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Bradley Beal's only value is putting up 30 night after night. They had him out there a team leading 32 minutes and they only had 6 shots for him. What's that mean he's doing the rest of the time? He's no role player. He shoots.

A lot of things happen in a game like this for a more individually talented team to lose, but one is what you just described - you lister a 5 man unit that actually fits together by position and skill set and experience, then you listed 3 guys who do the same thing. Lillard/Beal/KD are not getting 20 shots each in these games, and if they aren't they aren't anywhere near their peak potential in these games. Their name recognition is moot.

KDs the guy most able to help all over the floor, but Dame and Beal and Lavine? If these guys aren't shooting, they aren't doing anything for you. Arguably net negatives, some pretty suspect defence there. Their value is in hanging 30 on anyone.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

Is there any logic that a starting five of Patty Mills/Dellavedova/Ingles/Thybull and friggin Aron Baynes could beat a team with a KD , Lillard and Beal team ? That Aussie team would be a NBA lottery team .

I know the FIBA ball and NBA balls are the same size but the U.S resembled Canada when it came to shooting ..
              A lot of people are pointing to the physicality, rules & reffing - basically saying that FIBA is real basketball where players are allowed to actually make contact and saying this is a perfect example that exposes how NBA badly the has watered down the game to dramatically favor offensive players with the ability to arbitrarily give FTs to star players of their choice.

In other words.... American NBA players are soft.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

A lot of people are pointing to the physicality, rules & reffing - basically saying that FIBA is real basketball where players are allowed to actually make contact and saying this is a perfect example that exposes how NBA badly the has watered down the game to dramatically favor offensive players with the ability to arbitrarily give FTs to star players of their choice.

Does this roster lack ( like Canada ) a floor general . We have PG's but no Chris Paul or Jason Kidd and or Lowry .. They are playing like a NBA all star game . Also they have a NBA coach who has very little experience in the FIBA game ..

Comment

• watch US go undefeated after this.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    watch US go undefeated after this.
                    Yeah, if they can adjust to the physicality... USA should be good. NBA stars have become experts at not giving AF about NBA regular season games, let alone FIBA warmups.

Comment

• Much like a lot of squads throughout this NBA playoffs, Team USA could’ve benefited greatly from the presence of a Kyle Lowry.

Comment

I agree with this to some extent. There are lots of plays every game where a guy flies into the lane completely out of control (sometimes intentionally) and gets bailed out by the refs, especially the star players, which doesn't happen as much in FIBA play. Not sure it's that players are 'soft', rather, they are used to playing a certain way in the lane and it can be hard to adjust the mindset in 20-30 minutes of on-court time.

Still think the US will be fine but it isn't going to be as easy as it used to be for them.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I agree with this to some extent. There are lots of plays every game where a guy flies into the lane completely out of control (sometimes intentionally) and gets bailed out by the refs, especially the star players, which doesn't happen as much in FIBA play. Not sure it's that players are 'soft', rather, they are used to playing a certain way in the lane and it can be hard to adjust the mindset in 20-30 minutes of on-court time.

Still think the US will be fine but it isn't going to be as easy as it used to be for them.
                          Yeah, it's the NBA reward system that encourages players to learn foul-baiting techniques. Mastering those tricks could be literally worth millions.

Harden and San Antonio Spurs shooting guard DeMar DeRozan, childhood friends who grew up playing basketball together in Los Angeles, have had discussions about the art of drawing fouls. DeRozan admits he has borrowed some tricks from his former AAU teammate, such as extending his arms on drives.

"That was something we always talked about, joked about," DeRozan says. "Especially in the summertime, just messing around playing and coming up with different ideas on how to get fouled and get to the free throw line."
                          https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ry-unstoppable

Comment

Yeah, it's the NBA reward system that encourages players to learn foul-baiting techniques. Mastering those tricks could be literally worth millions.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ry-unstoppable
                            Look, they are virtually unbeatable since 1992 so it's not like this is some insurmountable issue for them. I think the bigger factor is simply that other teams are better than ever and there's a lot more competition than even 5-6 years ago. There a lot of good teams that didn't even make the Olympics this time around. Lesson in there.

Comment

• I'm surprised USA is went so small here.. Bam, Draymond and KD are their only bigs?

But yeah they should medal. I don't know about gold, as it won't be easy. It's a bubble with no fans. The celebrity life style that they will want won't be there. They won't be treated like rock stars. It's not going to be fun for a lot of them being away from their families.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Look, they are virtually unbeatable since 1992 so it's not like this is some insurmountable issue for them. I think the bigger factor is simply that other teams are better than ever and there's a lot more competition than even 5-6 years ago. There a lot of good teams that didn't even make the Olympics this time around. Lesson in there.
                                Oh, for sure they are going to turn it on when it matters. Just piling on the comments I've been reading elsewhere about FIBA not rewarding stars for the same ticky-tack fouls they're used to getting in the NBA. Once Team USA adjusts and actually plays a game that matters, we'll see a different team.

Comment

Working...
                                X