Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    Canadian women really gave away the Serbia game. Was up for work and watched the 4th quarter - they couldn't throw it in the ocean. That team has consistently put itself in good positions only to come up short of the big breakthrough time and again. Tough spot now.

As for the US men, maybe Krzyzewski should get a lot more credit than he has received. 75-1....
    Further to Coach K's record... this interesting article is trying to make the argument that full-time NBA head coaches simply don't have enough time to do all the things necessary to properly prepare a national team for international competitions, as a part-time gig.

What is indisputable, however, is that this is the fourth time in the past two decades that a serving NBA head coach has been in charge of the United States senior men’s team for a competition. international major. In the previous three, the United States placed sixth (2002 World Championship), third (2004 Olympics) and seventh (2019 World Cup). The United States record in these three events plus the current Olympics is 17-9: a winning percentage of 0.653.

When the United States “redeemed” their senior men’s program by installing Duke Hall of Famer Mike Krzyzewski as head coach, the United States went 50-1 in six major championships, a winning percentage of. 980.

How can we pretend it’s a coincidence?
    https://goodwordnews.com/after-franc...f-the-us-team/

Comment

• I'm a big fan of the 'pros talk logistics' concept but it seems like a convenient excuse here. Coach K is vastly underrated by NBA-land.

Comment

• Coaching an international team is an excellent feather in your cap for college recruiting. Makes sense college coaches put in more effort and tend to do better.

Comment

• Do you think the CEBL and the NBLC will ever merge?

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
            Do you think the CEBL and the NBLC will ever merge?
            The problem with that is that the two leagues do not run at the same time. The CEBL would lose some of its draw to players if they played a winter season. there is just not enough money in it to draw top talent away from other leagues. Also, the CEBL would not be able to have the Usport players participate in a winter season. The NBLC has been hanging on as a league but seems to be lacking growth in fans. It would be nice if there was a way to see the NBLC teams have a chance for a CONCACAF Champions League type competition. I think that could help all the pro leagues in North and South America that are not the NBA. Something closer to the Euro model.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

The problem with that is that the two leagues do not run at the same time. The CEBL would lose some of its draw to players if they played a winter season. there is just not enough money in it to draw top talent away from other leagues. Also, the CEBL would not be able to have the Usport players participate in a winter season. The NBLC has been hanging on as a league but seems to be lacking growth in fans. It would be nice if there was a way to see the NBLC teams have a chance for a CONCACAF Champions League type competition. I think that could help all the pro leagues in North and South America that are not the NBA. Something closer to the Euro model.
              That's too bad. It would be a nationwide league if they ever considered merging and a huge win for Canada basketball.

Comment

• Well France beats Czech by 20 .. Blake Schilb who looked like Kobe against Canada scored zero points ..

Comment

• Kelly Olynyk have agreed to a three-year deal worth $37 million with Pistons ( which means he will be a free agent when next Olympics come around .. Pistons also sign Trey Lyles agree to two-year, $5 million deal .. and Cory Joseph ..Shai Gilgeous-Alexander agrees to five-year, $172M extension with Thunder

So that means we will have Murray and Shai with no excuse of free agency when Olympics come around next but that doesn't mean there won't be other excuses .

Comment

• With the terrible news on Baynes, I have no issues with guys with uncertain contract situations sitting out. Missing Olynyk, Birch, and Boucher hurt our chances of making the Olympics, but I get it.

I feel sorry for Baynes. No new contract and then a year (potentially career) ending injury suffered at the olympics is a nightmare scenario.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                      With the terrible news on Baynes, I have no issues with guys with uncertain contract situations sitting out. Missing Olynyk, Birch, and Boucher hurt our chances of making the Olympics, but I get it.

I feel sorry for Baynes. No new contract and then a year (potentially career) ending injury suffered at the olympics is a nightmare scenario.
                      Baynes in this case probably had to rebuild his value around the league since had such a bad season last season. So getting time in the Olympics was a way to do that.

I don't think Patti Mills (bronze) or Evan Fournier (silver) regret going to the Olympics.. and they were both free agents.

Comment

• Canada moves up 3 spots to 18th in the World !! Just 1.1 point out of 17th ...

FIBA World Ranking Presented by NIKE, men - FIBA.basketball

Comment

• I think we will see a another jump after the next window of World Cup qualifying...if we win the games we are supposed to.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                            Canada moves up 3 spots to 18th in the World !!

Comment

• Nick's staying as coach. Just announced on Tim and Friends. Will be there for the Paris games. So until 2024.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Nick's staying as coach. Just announced on Tim and Friends. Will be there for the Paris games. So until 2024.
                                You're underselling this. Nurse also has basically said if you aren't interested in next summer and world cup then check back in 2025. If they stick to that, it could pay big dividends. Qualifying for the Olympics at the world cup would solve a lot of Canada's issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X