Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Presti has shut down SGA for the final game. Can't have too many pros on Canada, it was actually starting to work!
    Shai looked to really enjoy playing for team Canada.

Do you think this move could help the chances of Shai requesting a trade to come play for the Team Canada coach full time?!?!

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

Shai looked to really enjoy playing for team Canada.

Do you think this move could help the chances of Shai requesting a trade to come play for the Team Canada coach full time?!?!
      No he already signed a big contract last year and the extension is kicking in this season.

I can see it in maybe 2 years if the OKC still stuck at being a middle road team, that Shai might be looking to move out and part ways.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

No he already signed a big contract last year and the extension is kicking in this season.

I can see it in maybe 2 years if the OKC still stuck at being a middle road team, that Shai might be looking to move out and part ways.
        I know his big contract is kicking in. Does a guy like that want to be constantly loosing.

It seems to me that OKC wants to win a Championship with Rookie scale contracts. Once a player hits the big numbers they can't swallow all of them. So they rinse and repeat.

The longer it goes on, the more Shai doesn't fit with that projection.

I can totally see Shai staying for another year. See if they land Victor.

I could also see a player like Shai to want to stop loosing.

Comment

• Shai will be coveted by a lot of teams in the NBA. He's Canadian sure, but he's also really good. So if OKC is willing to move him, I think they could get a pretty good bidding war.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Shai will be coveted by a lot of teams in the NBA. He's Canadian sure, but he's also really good. So if OKC is willing to move him, I think they could get a pretty good bidding war.
            Fair.

But one I would be willing to put my hat in.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

I know his big contract is kicking in. Does a guy like that want to be constantly loosing.

It seems to me that OKC wants to win a Championship with Rookie scale contracts. Once a player hits the big numbers they can't swallow all of them. So they rinse and repeat.

The longer it goes on, the more Shai doesn't fit with that projection.

I can totally see Shai staying for another year. See if they land Victor.

I could also see a player like Shai to want to stop loosing.
              I don't really see that with OKC. The Thunder tried to win after Durant left with George and Westbrook but George demanded a trade then Russ. It wasn't until Paul wanted out that they really went scorched earth the last 2 seasons. People act like OKC has been tanking for ages but this is a pretty short rebuild window for a NBA team all things considered.

They should be okay this year if Giddey keeps improving and SGA has a big season. Maybe the get Holmgren going at some point. I can see them fighting for a play-in spot.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't really see that with OKC. The Thunder tried to win after Durant left with George and Westbrook but George demanded a trade then Russ. It wasn't until Paul wanted out that they really went scorched earth the last 2 seasons. People act like OKC has been tanking for ages but this is a pretty short rebuild window for a NBA team all things considered.

They should be okay this year if Giddey keeps improving and SGA has a big season. Maybe the get Holmgren going at some point. I can see them fighting for a play-in spot.
                Fair point, I guess my opinion goes back to them getting rid of Harden before they had to pay him. With as many picks as they have the next few years, if they hit a few times, that's a bunch of rookie max contracts.

Personally I think the George, Russ situation made them revisit what will work in OKC. Those two guys leaving was a blessing in disguise. (Russ's contract especially was/is brutal)

Be bad = Pick High.
                Keep your payroll low (but not too low like last year where everyone got a bonus at the end of the season).
                Take on bad expiring contracts with picks attached.
                Convert picks into young stars.
                Try to be relevant with young players.
                Nurse injuries to keep picks high.
                Sell the fans on potential.
                If everything goes right have a long playoff run or even a championship. (Maybe at this point they rethink your thought process, but as a small market team a payroll like Golden State would cripple them).
                More likely they trade one of their older star players for more picks, use the cap space to resign one of their younger star players and repeat process.

Comment

• I'm sure Shai is a guy that Masai has a long term plan to try and acquire. Just like with Giannis there is a realistic chance we could get him and need to be ready. It didn't work with Giannis (he stay) but it could with Shai. Giannis stayed because they were on the cusp of the title, proven true by winning it. Does Shai feel that way about OKC. Certainly not now, and if not in 2 years Shai starts grumbling and we pounce. I think it's a fantastic thing that Nurse is coaching team Canada and building a multi year close repoir with Shai. He'll probably be one of the first guys Shai calls if he decides he wants out of OKC.
                  Last edited by Primer; Thu Sep 1, 2022, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• It’d be a pretty cool journey/story for Shai — cause if we could keep this core and add him — imo, he’d be the missing element to win another chip north of the border.

Good for legacy.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                      It’d be a pretty cool journey/story for Shai — cause if we could keep this core and add him — imo, he’d be the missing element to win another chip north of the border.

Good for legacy.
                      He doesn't have much mileage on those legs cause the Thunder keep tanking and shut him down a lot .

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                        It’d be a pretty cool journey/story for Shai — cause if we could keep this core and add him — imo, he’d be the missing element to win another chip north of the border.

Good for legacy.
                        I know he's a really good player, but I've never thought of Shai as the type of superstar player needed to win a championship. Even Tatum who is probably a tier below guys like Curry, Kawhi, KD etc. couldn't elevate his team in the finals. Not sure if Shai is on the Tatum level yet.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I know he's a really good player, but I've never thought of Shai as the type of superstar player needed to win a championship. Even Tatum who is probably a tier below guys like Curry, Kawhi, KD etc. couldn't elevate his team in the finals. Not sure if Shai is on the Tatum level yet.
                          Not disagreeing with you, but a committed stable of 1Bs might be more effective than a 1A and a 1B and a 1C. Raptors seem to be going for five 1Bs.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                            I'm sure Shai is a guy that Masai has a long term plan to try and acquire. Just like with Giannis there is a realistic chance we could get him and need to be ready. It didn't work with Giannis (he stay) but it could with Shai. Giannis stayed because they were on the cusp of the title, proven true by winning it. Does Shai feel that way about OKC. Certainly not now, and if not in 2 years Shai starts grumbling and we pounce. I think it's a fantastic thing that Nurse is coaching team Canada and building a multi year close repoir with Shai. He'll probably be one of the first guys Shai calls if he decides he wants out of OKC.
                            So if we don’t get Shai then we blame Nurse, right?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Puffer said it with the 1A vs 1B — I don’t think we absolutely need a Kawhi or Giannis to pull it off… I think if we added Shai to the existing core that we have as they continue to develop and if we got a healthy/fortunate run… we could certainly win it all.

(This doesn’t of course take into account who we’d have to give to get him / how and when that could happen … more musing than anything, unfortunately.)

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Not disagreeing with you, but a committed stable of 1Bs might be more effective than a 1A and a 1B and a 1C. Raptors seem to be going for five 1Bs.
                                You might be able to use this last seasons version of the Celtics as an example of a group of 1B's, and they did make it all the way to the finals. At the end of the day though, it was the team with the 1A which prevailed.

Looking forward to what Masai has planned for this team.

Comment

Working...
                                X