Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

How much do they matter? Every country sent a trash squad so clearly not that much.
    The top teams don’t care. Us ranked number 1. Canada has a low world ranking and if we can pump it up go for it.

Comment

• Gonzz wrote: View Post

The top teams don’t care. Us ranked number 1. Canada has a low world ranking and if we can pump it up go for it.
      Talent-wise, Canada is so deep that we should be no worse than top 3 in the world in any major tournament. Seeding shouldn’t matter that much, unless we draw Team USA in an early elimination game.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Talent-wise, Canada is so deep that we should be no worse than top 3 in the world in any major tournament. Seeding shouldn’t matter that much, unless we draw Team USA in an early elimination game.
        Watching highlights of the Serbia/Greece game from a couple of days ago, the insane play of Giannis and Jokic tells me that Team Canada likely still has a distance to go...

I feel like maybe I've become a bit desensitized over the last couple of years with the fantastic level of parity the NBA is presently enjoying... but watching clips of that game reminds one, it's still a superstar's game. (I'm not saying the Raps don't have enough depth to go far ..... Team Canada though, as much as there is to be excited about there... I think we still have to gain more talent to easily take down those kind of countries... and yeah, not to be all Demo-shift about it (Much love, Demo) but we may need more than we got for big bodies, cause the Giannis/Jokic's of the world are gonna BULLY us ...

Or maybe I'm wrong. (GO CANADA)

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Watching highlights of the Serbia/Greece game from a couple of days ago, the insane play of Giannis and Jokic tells me that Team Canada likely still has a distance to go...

I feel like maybe I've become a bit desensitized over the last couple of years with the fantastic level of parity the NBA is presently enjoying... but watching clips of that game reminds one, it's still a superstar's game. (I'm not saying the Raps don't have enough depth to go far ..... Team Canada though, as much as there is to be excited about there... I think we still have to gain more talent to easily take down those kind of countries... and yeah, not to be all Demo-shift about it (Much love, Demo) but we may need more than we got for big bodies, cause the Giannis/Jokic's of the world are gonna BULLY us ...

Canada's weakness is at the big position and in every big game they come across it seems there is a big body they have a hard time containing .

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

But Team Canada has the Superstar of all Superstars: Nicky Nurse! He's a well established Giannis, Steph & Embiid Killer. How could you forget that, my gold brotha?

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

Canada's weakness is at the big position and in every big game they come across it seems there is a big body they have a hard time containing .
              thats why zach edey is valuable when he plays

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

thats why zach edey is valuable when he plays
                He's got long way's to go. Sure he can play well against other bigs from South America but will be eaten alive by NBA or Euroleague bigs. I think if you want to win against top European talent (Greece, Serbia, Lithuania, France, Slovenia, Germany) you are going to have to play a faster pace basketball cause they would want to slow things down defensively and eliminate Canada's spacing where Nick Nurse will opt to play small ball.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

He's got long way's to go. Sure he can play well against other bigs from South America but will be eaten alive by NBA or Euroleague bigs. I think if you want to win against top European talent (Greece, Serbia, Lithuania, France, Slovenia, Germany) you are going to have to play a faster pace basketball cause they would want to slow things down defensively and eliminate Canada's spacing where Nick Nurse will opt to play small ball.
                  yeah I mean he is good for now... I like him on the roster but I agree our best play is with him off the floor against top top talent

Comment

• Canada will face Mexico in the quarter finals. Winnable game.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                      Canada will face Mexico in the quarter finals. Winnable game.

Unusual results from them ... They Beat the U.S but barely beat Panama ...

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

Unusual results from them ... They Beat the U.S but barely beat Panama ...
                        They were more motivated to beat the U.S but the states best player is Norris Cole and Banton is better than him.

Comment

• Canada will advance to the semi-finals. A top 4 finish for this group is a huge accomplishment. They will face the winner of Brazil/DR.
                          https://www.fiba.basketball/americup...a#tab=boxscore
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Canada will advance to the semi-finals. A top 4 finish for this group is a huge accomplishment. They will face the winner of Brazil/DR.
                            Well said ... This team just thrown together with no exhibition games and still manages a top 4 finish with a chance of more .

Comment

Canada will advance to the semi-finals. A top 4 finish for this group is a huge accomplishment. They will face the winner of Brazil/DR.
                              If they manage to get into the podium and actually get a medal, I would say that is a great overachievement for this group.

Sometimes its not only talent that counts but the will to give it all and take this very seriously.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

If they manage to get into the podium and actually get a medal, I would say that is a great overachievement for this group.

Sometimes its not only talent that counts but the will to give it all and take this very seriously.
                                I don't know how people can even gauge the relative talent of Canada vs. other countries to be able to say this is an over-achievement, or it should simply be expected. It's great, but to me this would be more indicative of the rising trend that Canada is bursting with talent depth at this point in time, relative to other nations. It would mirror what we're seeing at the NCAA levels. And ultimately, talent should win out.

I'm also not buying the argument that these other teams haven't been hastily slopped together like Canada. Where are people getting the info to know this kind of stuff? Like how long some of these obscure guys on other national teams have been playing together, especially for an equally obscure and non-important tournament like Americup.

Comment

Working...
                                X