Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

I don't know how people can even gauge the relative talent of Canada vs. other countries to be able to say this is an over-achievement, or it should simply be expected. It's great, but to me this would be more indicative of the rising trend that Canada is bursting with talent depth at this point in time, relative to other nations. It would mirror what we're seeing at the NCAA levels. And ultimately, talent should win out.

I'm also not buying the argument that these other teams haven't been hastily slopped together like Canada. Where are people getting the info to know this kind of stuff? Like how long some of these obscure guys on other national teams have been playing together, especially for an equally obscure and non-important tournament like Americup.
    If you look at the rosters for some of the countries in this tournament they are almost identical to the ones that were playing in the qualifying window. Agentina has the same roster with Campazzo, Deck, Laprovittola, Balmaro, and Delia all suiting up. They are proving to be the class of this tournament, team cohesion and chemistry is above many others .
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I don't know how people can even gauge the relative talent of Canada vs. other countries to be able to say this is an over-achievement, or it should simply be expected. It's great, but to me this would be more indicative of the rising trend that Canada is bursting with talent depth at this point in time, relative to other nations. It would mirror what we're seeing at the NCAA levels. And ultimately, talent should win out.

I'm also not buying the argument that these other teams haven't been hastily slopped together like Canada. Where are people getting the info to know this kind of stuff? Like how long some of these obscure guys on other national teams have been playing together, especially for an equally obscure and non-important tournament like Americup.
      Here is the thing: None of the guys on team Canada ever played together prior to this tournament, other countries have a few veterans that been in their country programs for years. Mexico is full of those guys. This is why also last year a stacked team Canada with a lot more talent feat Wiggins and Barrett lost to the Czech and did not qualify to the Olympics. Team Brazil the one that Canada facing has a few returning faces that played in recent tournaments as well.

It's not exactly bursting with talent and depth on this team when you got that one legit NBA player that is helping to hold it together in very close games. Without Banton this whole team would be 0-3 100% and been already out.

Comment

• Didn’t see the game..

Glancing at the box score… Dalano 1/6 from three isn’t what I’d hope to see…

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Here is the thing: None of the guys on team Canada ever played together prior to this tournament, other countries have a few veterans that been in their country programs for years. Mexico is full of those guys. This is why also last year a stacked team Canada with a lot more talent feat Wiggins and Barrett lost to the Czech and did not qualify to the Olympics. Team Brazil the one that Canada facing has a few returning faces that played in recent tournaments as well.

It's not exactly bursting with talent and depth on this team when you got that one legit NBA player that is helping to hold it together in very close games. Without Banton this whole team would be 0-3 100% and been already out.
          It's also a stretch to call Banton a legit NBA player. More like a legit G League player. He was a raw 2nd round pick that couldn't stick in an NBA rotation last season.

Not trying to poo poo Banton, just pointing that out because it makes Team Canada doing well here even more impressive.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
            Didn’t see the game..

Glancing at the box score… Dalano 1/6 from three isn’t what I’d hope to see…
            He has not shot the 3 well, but like I mentioned in an earlier post, his 2 point field goal percentage is solid and he is making free throws better than he ever has. Put Banton on the floor with a lead guard that can drive, draw, and dish and he gets better looks.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

It's also a stretch to call Banton a legit NBA player. More like a legit G League player. He was a raw 2nd round pick that couldn't stick on a Raptors rotation last season.

Not trying to poo poo Banton, just pointing that out because it makes Team Canada doing well here even more impressive.
              Fixed.

Some teams would have gave Banton enough minutes. Not every NBA team has Nick Nurse's stringent standards.

Even if it's the 10th guy on a bad NBA team is still legit talent and better than most of the South American/central teams.

Also we aren't judging Banton on last season but the player that he is now which wouldn't have lost his rotation spot last season imo.

Comment

• Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Sep 9, 2022, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• When are the semi's?

Comment

• Banton's being coached by Nurse right now in Americup, correct? Nice little feather in his cap leading up to training camp if so.

Comment

• Would be nice if Banton learned to be able to convert more of his great horizontal speed into vertical leap. Not that his finishes aren't already hard to contest with dat length.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        Banton's being coached by Nurse right now in Americup, correct? Nice little feather in his cap leading up to training camp if so.
                        Nope, Nurse coached the team in the qualifiers this summer but not this squad.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

Nope, Nurse coached the team in the qualifiers this summer but not this squad.
                          It's Nate Mitchell the coach who is also Raptors assistant coach so it's all connected.

Comment

• So Canada lost to Brazil in the semi's yesterday:

Looks like Canada crawled back to take the lead, only to lose it at the end. Banton's stats were underwhelming: 12/3/4 and was 4/16 (25%) from the field.

We play the US for 3rd place later today.

Comment

• Is the game today really only on dazn? You'd think paying for sportsnet and tsn would at least get you the medal games.

Comment

• Daily Banton Boxscore --- only 2 players were worse than minus 2 for Canada --- Dalano being one of them, was minus 20...

Perhaps DAZN would've told a particular story, but as I'm not a subscriber, I can only extrapolate that that's ... a disappointing performance. (Again.)

.... Still pulling for the Kipling Express ...

Comment

Working...
                                X