No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think team Spain is the model that Canada should emulate.

The Gasol brothers are long gone and the Hernangomez brothers are not exactly star players in the NBA but yet they play hard and smart with the rest of their euroleague team-mates and they make it work.

If Canada wants to go deep in the World Cup 2023 , it will need some of that high IQ scrapers type players as well that care about winning and won't treat this mildly. Players like Lu Dort, Dillon Brooks, Kelly Olynyk types are much more important to winning at the international scene.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      ...If Canada wants to go deep in the World Cup 2023 , it will need some of that high IQ scrapers type players as well that care about winning and won't treat this mildly. Players like Lu Dort, Dillon Brooks, Kelly Olynyk types are much more important to winning at the international scene.
      Players that have opportunities to play together consistently. Something to be said for continuity. Like what the Raptors have a lot of this season.

Comment

I think team Spain is the model that Canada should emulate.

The Gasol brothers are long gone and the Hernangomez brothers are not exactly star players in the NBA but yet they play hard and smart with the rest of their euroleague team-mates and they make it work.

If Canada wants to go deep in the World Cup 2023 , it will need some of that high IQ scrapers type players as well that care about winning and won't treat this mildly. Players like Lu Dort, Dillon Brooks, Kelly Olynyk types are much more important to winning at the international scene.
        Well Giannis Antetokounmpo couldn't carry his team past Germany today and so just having Giannis doesn't guarantee even a semi final birth in Eurobasketball and Nikola-Jokic couldn't get his team even to the Quarters ... This Canadian team with SGA and Murray at the World stage can do some damage .. SGA without some of our big guns made easy work out of Argentina and Argentina is strong opponent .

I think with Nick Nurse getting these guys to play D and we have sharp shooters like SGA and Murray then I think we do well . Last summer although we had Wiggins and Barrett we didn't have our big guns at PG and had to rely on Cory . Last summer it was a brick feast shooting
        from 3 at times in the games .

Comment

• We've learned the secret to defending Giannis...

Comment

• do the games in november matter?

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
              We've learned the secret to defending Giannis...

Throw a bunch of Germany guys at him. We got Bonga, just need 4 more
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Throw a bunch of Germany guys at him. We got Bonga, just need 4 more
                Or one Kawhi.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                  do the games in november matter?
                  The magic number is 2 ... Any combination of Canada winning or opponents losing totally 2 and they are
                  in .

FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 Americas Qualifiers - FIBA.basketball

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

The magic number is 2 ... Any combination of Canada winning or opponents losing totally 2 and they are
                    in .

FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 Americas Qualifiers - FIBA.basketball
                    They will get in no problem. They still have a game against Panama to play for example. We beat them by like 50 and that was without Shai. It's seeding that's a bit of a concern. If we can keep the #1 or #2 seed after the qualifiers it should help ensure we are in a better pool for the world cup.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

They will get in no problem. They still have a game against Panama to play for example. We beat them by like 50 and that was without Shai. It's seeding that's a bit of a concern. If we can keep the #1 or #2 seed after the qualifiers it should help ensure we are in a better pool for the world cup.
                      In theory winning or losing in GL League isn't very important and so I don't know why more GL players participate in these Nov and Feb games ? Dalano Banton can get some big minutes in these two games instead of sitting on a Raptors bench and waving a towel ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

Well Giannis Antetokounmpo couldn't carry his team past Germany today and so just having Giannis doesn't guarantee even a semi final birth in Eurobasketball and Nikola-Jokic couldn't get his team even to the Quarters ... This Canadian team with SGA and Murray at the World stage can do some damage .. SGA without some of our big guns made easy work out of Argentina and Argentina is strong opponent .

I think with Nick Nurse getting these guys to play D and we have sharp shooters like SGA and Murray then I think we do well . Last summer although we had Wiggins and Barrett we didn't have our big guns at PG and had to rely on Cory . Last summer it was a brick feast shooting
                        from 3 at times in the games .

The biggest problem vs the Czechs last summer was defense. We left them wide open from 3, letting their scrubs get hot AND we allowed their bigs roll to the paint for dunks and uncontested layups. Can’t give up both. There was a lot of mis-communication on D, until it was too late.

Comment

• Accurate assessment of Banton.

Banton excels in the open court and he didn’t have too many opportunities to show that in these slow-paced games. Still, we saw glimpses of his improved half-court play, where he was able to get to the paint (especially in the first few games) and finish nicely with his length, long strides, and sneaky athleticism, as well as shoot it some from 3 and from mid-range. Most of all though, his passing acumen was on full display here and his assist numbers don’t even fully show it due to his teammates often not converting.

But a couple of questions still loom large. First, the shooting. Except for one game against Colombia, he didn’t shoot well (didn’t cross the 30% mark in any of the other games). To his credit, he continues taking the shots without hesitation and some of these were end-of-clock desperation shots, which he’s not likely to be taking with the Raptors. I don’t think he’ll ever be a good or even average shooter. But he’ll probably have to become a 30%+ shooter from 3 to stay on the court.

The other somewhat worrying issue is the limited explosiveness, which together with a handle that remains a bit shaky and his slender body, limit his ability to turn the corner against good strong defenders. This, in turn, really puts in question his potential of ever becoming a starting PG and main creator in the NBA, even if the shot does improve dramatically. But I’m less worried about this as a backup PG. Here he mainly has to operate well in the P&R and be able to make good reads, either attacking the rim when the lane is open or finding the rolling big or the corner 3-point shooter at the right time. I thought he did that pretty well last year in the G and in this tournament. And I actually really like his potential matching with Chris Boucher for a Canadian duo of skinny lengthy freaks of nature. Boucher is great at rolling and making himself available and I think the two can develop great chemistry. But, as I said, for this to happen Banton will have to limit his TOs, improve his decision-making and shooting (especially the C&S), and stay assertive and focused whenever he gets a chance.

Not all of the question marks have to already be answered next year. I’d be happy with some further baby steps toward the player he could eventually be. A steady spot in the Raptors rotation would be great and if he can lead the second unit for stretches, that would be awesome.

Comment

Accurate assessment of Banton.

Dalano has some serious work to do.
                            Needs to work on his strength and explosiveness.
                            If he can't be a good shooter, at least he can be a good defender.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

If he can't be a good shooter, at least he can be a good defender.
                              Limited defender.

Banton due to his slender and slim body (like Boucher) has problems defending near the paint when smaller players will use their bodies to push him.

More effective as a perimeter defender.

His 3 point shot will probably determine how long he would stay in a game this season.

Comment

Accurate assessment of Banton.

That scouting report sounds like a Dollarama Poku. lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X