Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Trey Lyles is likely our best NBA prospect for the 2015 draft. Should go top 10.

We're a little weak at C but by 2020 somebody will emerge, and we're deep at every other position. I'd actually consider travelling to the Olympics to see the team.
    you forgot Kelly Olynyk, he will start
    Ball Don't Lie

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      No way in hell Wiggins ever plays for USA basketball. Look at us fans, trying to get ourselves worked up over astronomically unlikely scenarios.

On the plus side, I expect Canada to have squad stacked with NBA talent for the Pan Am and Fiba Americas tournaments next summer.

PG: Corey Joseph, Tyler Ennis
      SG: Nik Stauskas
      SF: Andrew Wiggins
      PF: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson
      C: Tristan Thompson

Others to consider: Khem Birch, Robert Sacre, Melvin Ejim, Brady Heslip, Kevin Pagnos, Sim Bhullar

I feel like I'm missing some guys, and I haven't even looked at 2015 NCAA players to see if it is again stacked with Canadian talent.

Realistically, Canada is the only team with a shot of dethroning the US team (should be legit competition by 2020 Olympics). Spain and Argentina had their time, but they haven't injected any new talent into the NBA in forever, while the Canadian talent keeps growing every year.
      Realistically, Canada has an excellent chance of qualifying for Rio in 2016 (not a slam dunk). Having a roster chock full of NBA players does not guarantee very much in the FIBA world (Canada is ranked 25th).

Comment

Our current PG is Corey Joseph. I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it into Rio, and if we do, we won't get far. But Tokyo? We could win it all by Tokyo
        @Boymusic66

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
          Realistically, Canada has an excellent chance of qualifying for Rio in 2016 (not a slam dunk). Having a roster chock full of NBA players does not guarantee very much in the FIBA world (Canada is ranked 25th).
          Was there ever an international team chock full of NBA players that didn't have great success? The only international squads that have challenged the USA had a lot of NBA players.

I think it does guarantee you'll do well in FIBA. Eventually talent wins out when the disparity becomes big enough.

Comment

Last night

N. Stauskas 6 for 8 good efficent night
            A.Wiggins 10 pts 3 steals 2 Blocks
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvyjeMBpKY
            A. Bennett 14 pts

Comment

Was there ever an international team chock full of NBA players that didn't have great success? The only international squads that have challenged the USA had a lot of NBA players.

I think it does guarantee you'll do well in FIBA. Eventually talent wins out when the disparity becomes big enough.
              Chemisty and a great understanding of international rules is important and so Canadian ballers need to give up a lot of their summers . Just ask the U.S who started not taking it seriously for awhile and a roster of NBA allstars in 2002 finished 7th ..Italy has had better sucess internationally before all NBA players started making up their roster ...

Thompson even said it .. It takes awhile to get used to this FIBA game ..
              Last edited by guyroch; Tue Jul 15, 2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Lithuania challenged the usa in 2012. Greece is always top 5 in rank too

Comment

No way in hell Wiggins ever plays for USA basketball. Look at us fans, trying to get ourselves worked up over astronomically unlikely scenarios.

On the plus side, I expect Canada to have squad stacked with NBA talent for the Pan Am and Fiba Americas tournaments next summer.

PG: Corey Joseph, Tyler Ennis
                  SG: Nik Stauskas
                  SF: Andrew Wiggins
                  PF: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson
                  C: Tristan Thompson

Others to consider: Khem Birch, Robert Sacre, Melvin Ejim, Brady Heslip, Kevin Pagnos, Sim Bhullar

I feel like I'm missing some guys, and I haven't even looked at 2015 NCAA players to see if it is again stacked with Canadian talent.

Realistically, Canada is the only team with a shot of dethroning the US team (should be legit competition by 2020 Olympics). Spain and Argentina had their time, but they haven't injected any new talent into the NBA in forever, while the Canadian talent keeps growing every year.
                  I guess, but they are like two years away from being two years away from having a chance to be two years away.. Since US national team started taking preparations seriously, the only team that challenged them was Spain, and Spain had
                  - two legit all stars (Gasols)
                  - multiple quality NBA starters (Ibaka, Rubio, Calderon)
                  - the rest of the roster was filled with NBA role players and Euro stars, who probably could've been in the NBA if they wanted to
                  - and last but not least, they were a very big team that could dominate US in the post. Talent helped, but they were a mismatch too. If they were just a team with a couple perimeter all stars, US probably blows them out.

So my approach is wait and see. Lots of things have to go right for Canada. These prospects have to develop into multiple all stars and NBA starters, stay healthy, commit to national team at the same time, adjust to FIBA rules well, and even that isn't a guarantee that US won't blow them out.

By the way, I'm actually more optimistic about Bennett now than I ever was. When he was in college, I thought he's Brandon Bass. But now he's lost some weight and he actually looks fine in this summer league, he doesn't look lazy, he's showing talent. I'm intrigued about him going into the next season.

Comment

USA teams with NBA rosters finished fifth at FIBA World Championship in 2002, 3rd at the Olympics in 2004, and 3rd in FIBA World Championship in 2006. Greece beat the USA in the FIBA World Championship with zero NBA players. The USA squad included LBJ, Melo, Wade, Bosh, Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard.

Comment

• It would be super cool if Canada hired David Blatt as a coach, he's already coaching 4 canadians, he's one of the best fiba coaches right now, has coached many succesful national teams, but sotuation with coaching a NBA team and a national team could be tricky, dont know if that's even legal...

Comment

• I think that long-term, the potential advantage we're going to have over most teams is our shooting and floor-spacing. Look at the number of stretch big-men we have: Olynyk, Nicholson, Bennett, Powell, and Lyles are all solid floor-stretchers, We've got traditional knock-down shooting wings in guys like Stauskas and Heslip (who I think will be a big part of the team even though he won't make the NBA). Wiggins and Justin Jackson (who'll be a big part of the team by 2020) will have loads of room to go to work in the lane and kick-out to the open guy. Should be a really entertaining brand of basketball.

Comment

• TSF wrote: View Post
                          Our current PG is Corey Joseph. I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it into Rio, and if we do, we won't get far. But Tokyo? We could win it all by Tokyo
                          Joseph looked good in international ball last year. The big problem was that their was nothing behind him. Backup PG was a major problem.

Comment

• I hope Tyler Ennis gets some good development time in.. doesn't look good considering the depth that the Suns have at PG. Hopefully a trade is brewing there.

But if Tyler ends up in the D-League for most of the year or next year he's not going to be that good for Canada and that will be a disappointment.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              I hope Tyler Ennis gets some good development time in.. doesn't look good considering the depth that the Suns have at PG. Hopefully a trade is brewing there.

But if Tyler ends up in the D-League for most of the year or next year he's not going to be that good for Canada and that will be a disappointment.
                              That reminds me, Philip Scrubb (of the Carleton Ravens) is probably in the mix as an option for PG for Canada in the coming years.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                                That reminds me, Philip Scrubb (of the Carleton Ravens) is probably in the mix as an option for PG for Canada in the coming years.
                                Canada's next PG is a Scrubb.

Comment

Working...
                                X