No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just 3 games in and Wiggins has struggled. 24 minutes a game with a PER of 5.64. Anthony Bennett has played very well, 19.62 PER and a field goal % of 63%.

Comment

• All the Canadian young vets except Nicholson are doing well. All the rookies are struggling a bit. No surprises with any of those things.

Heslip decided to go the d-league route and was drafted 11th overall in the annual d-league draft. I really thought he'd be a natural fit for Europe, as he seems a long-shot for the NBA, but maybe he's been told by scouts that it's worth sticking around in North America and staying on the radar.

So, a roundup of the prominent young guys not in the NBA:
      Heslip: Reno, D-league (Sacramento affiliate)
      Bhullar: Reno
      Birch: Sioux Falls, D-league (Miami affiliate)
      Kabongo: Ft Wayne, D-league (not a good situation, because Ft Wayne will be stacked with NBA send-downs, and he'll get little playing time)
      Bachynski: Oline Erdine, Turkey
      Devoe Joseph: Turk Telekom, Turkey
      Ejim: Virtus Roma, Italy
      Cadougan: Sidugas, Italy
      Kris Joseph: JDA Chalon, France

My list of guys to watch in the NCAA this year:
      Incoming:
      Lyles (Kentucky)
      Rathan Mayes (Florida State)
      Egi (Harvard)
      Gill-Ceasar (Missouri)
      Shayok (Virginia)
      Brooks (Oregon)

Returning:
      Hanlan (BC)
      Pierre (Dayton)
      Pangos (Gonzaga)
      Notice (USC)
      Chery (Baylor)

Coming of redshirt/transfer years:
      Wiltjer (Gonzaga)
      Edwards (Kansas State)
      Bhullar (NMSU)
      Jankovic (Hawaii)
      Webster-Chan (Hawaii)

edit: oh, and of course Philip Scrubb is going to be interesting to watch: final year at Carleton, can he get on the NBA radar?
      Last edited by octothorp; Mon Nov 3, 2014, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the update. Gill Caesar is at Missouri.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
          All the Canadian young vets except Nicholson are doing well. All the rookies are struggling a bit. No surprises with any of those things.

Heslip decided to go the d-league route and was drafted 11th overall in the annual d-league draft. I really thought he'd be a natural fit for Europe, as he seems a long-shot for the NBA, but maybe he's been told by scouts that it's worth sticking around in North America and staying on the radar.

So, a roundup of the prominent young guys not in the NBA:
          Heslip: Reno, D-league (Sacramento affiliate)
          Bhullar: Reno
          Birch: Sioux Falls, D-league (Miami affiliate)
          Kabongo: Ft Wayne, D-league (not a good situation, because Ft Wayne will be stacked with NBA send-downs, and he'll get little playing time)
          Bachynski: Oline Erdine, Turkey
          Devoe Joseph: Turk Telekom, Turkey
          Ejim: Virtus Roma, Italy
          Cadougan: Sidugas, Italy
          Kris Joseph: JDA Chalon, France

My list of guys to watch in the NCAA this year:
          Incoming:
          Lyles (Kentucky)
          Rathan Mayes (Florida State)
          Egi (Harvard)
          Gill-Ceasar (Missouri)
          Shayok (Virginia)
          Brooks (Oregon)

Returning:
          Hanlan (BC)
          Pierre (Dayton)
          Pangos (Gonzaga)
          Notice (USC)
          Chery (Baylor)

Coming of redshirt/transfer years:
          Wiltjer (Gonzaga)
          Edwards (Kansas State)
          Bhullar (NMSU)
          Jankovic (Hawaii)
          Webster-Chan (Hawaii)

edit: oh, and of course Philip Scrubb is going to be interesting to watch: final year at Carleton, can he get on the NBA radar?
          Wow great work .. Thanks ..

A lot of NBA'er in the NBA but who do you think will be the first allstar ? Or will not come from this bunch ?

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
            Wow great work .. Thanks ..

A lot of NBA'er in the NBA but who do you think will be the first allstar ? Or will not come from this bunch ?
            I'll take the half empty glass. I predict none of the current NBA group and none of the Canucks currently in the NCAA will become all stars. Remember it's a tough challenge to make it to that level. For instance, of the hundreds of players that have been on the Raptors roster over 20 seasons only four have ever made it: Vince, Antonio Davis, Bosh and DD.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
              I'll take the half empty glass. I predict none of the current NBA group and none of the Canucks currently in the NCAA will become all stars. Remember it's a tough challenge to make it to that level. For instance, of the hundreds of players that have been on the Raptors roster over 20 seasons only four have ever made it: Vince, Antonio Davis, Bosh and DD.
              You're not taking into account that there have been back to back Canadian 1st overall draft picks. Since 1979, only 8 1st overall picks haven't made the All-Star game, 2 of which are Wiggins and Bennett. The only time in that 45 year span that back to back 1st round draft picks haven't made an All-Star game was Greg Oden and Andrea Bargnani. Bennett and Wiggins are both much better than those two, and they're poised to be the star players for their team. I think it's a safe bet at least one of them makes an All-Star game.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                Wiggins will end up better than derozan not a doubt in my mind.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Yeah, I feel very confident Wiggins will get there eventually; he's not a flashy as some incoming players, but he the skills and style of play that coaches love, and that will make him an allstar. Bennett's got an outside shot at it. He might not be typical first-overall talent, but he's a lot better than last year showed. I see him likely being an above-average but sub-allstar player, but he's definitely still got all-star upside.

Comment

Yeah, I feel very confident Wiggins will get there eventually; he's not a flashy as some incoming players, but he the skills and style of play that coaches love, and that will make him an allstar. Bennett's got an outside shot at it. He might not be typical first-overall talent, but he's a lot better than last year showed. I see him likely being an above-average but sub-allstar player, but he's definitely still got all-star upside.
                    It's hard to predict with Wiggins ... He will be as great as he wants to be ie the work he spends in offseasons and how much he wants to be great .. He has all the tools all we have to find out is if he has the toolbox .. Last night effienct 17 point night ... Wolves exciting to team to watch ..

Comment

• Great little run by the Canadians, as three different Canadians have scored 17 points or more within a 48 hour span (Wiggins, Olynyk yesterday, Joseph today).

Comment

Great little run by the Canadians, as three different Canadians have scored 17 points or more within a 48 hour span (Wiggins, Olynyk yesterday, Joseph today).
                        Joseph good night but assist totals zero confusing ... Will he be the PG to lead this next gerneration of Canadian ballers ?

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                          Joseph good night but assist totals zero confusing ... Will he be the PG to lead this next gerneration of Canadian ballers ?
                          i like ennis more unfortunately hes stuck 4th on the phoenix "why the hell did u draft a pg" suns
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• brady heslip on fire

Anyone notice Brady Heslip had 40 and 38 points in his first 2 games for Reno Bighorns? NBA looming?

Comment

• This dude can shoot!

Comment

• It's too easy! There were a few assists from David Stockton, former Gonzaga point guard.

Comment

Working...
                                X