Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octothorp wrote: View Post
    Agreed. Next summer is a really, really important one for Canada. Joseph's experience, and play at both ends of the court is going to be crucial. Right now, I'd actually put Ennis as the third PG on the team behind Joseph and Jermaine Anderson, though Ennis certainly has a chance to move up if given playing time at Phoenix. As much as I'm excited by the young NBAers, Anderson, along with other international vets like Doornekamp and Kendall, probably still have a role to play on this team for at least one more summer. (Less-so Kendall, because he's at our deepest position).

In my opinion, Thompson, Joseph and Wiggins are the three guys who should be guaranteed starting spots next summer, while Olynyk and Heslip should be considered the favorites for the other two spots.
    Heslip is lighting up the D-League, but he is a huge defensive liability and is very one dimensional on O. He may have a spot on the team but I will be pretty upset if he is out starter. I think Carl English still has one more great summer in him if he wants to play, his vet presence with the other young starters would be nice to have. IN the Greek League this year he is putting up 20ppg 5 boards 4 dimes and shooting over 40% from 3.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Joseph and Thompson are restricted free agents next summer. I wonder if they will play at FIBA Americas.

Comment

• Toronto is hosting the Pan AM games and we have FIBA Americas, it will be interesting to see who makes it a priority to play for the National team. While there are a few guys who may be "given" a roster spot when ever they want one, there is a great deal of competition for spots on the team, those that choose to sit out due to contracts or other issues may get left behind come Olympic time.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
          Toronto is hosting the Pan AM games and we have FIBA Americas, it will be interesting to see who makes it a priority to play for the National team. While there are a few guys who may be "given" a roster spot when ever they want one, there is a great deal of competition for spots on the team, those that choose to sit out due to contracts or other issues may get left behind come Olympic time.
          The great thing about this era of Canadian ball is that if a guy Like Tristian says no .. It wouldn't drascially effect our chances for sucess ... I think the type of team we sent to the University Games maybe the same type of team we send to Pan Am games ..

Comment

• Worth noting that Dwight Powell has been getting a legit shot for Dallas the last little bit. Showed something in garbage time in a couple blow-out losses last week, and is now getting used in more situations. Played a bunch in a close fourth-quarter against Memphis today. Now, granted he's picked up 14 fouls in these last 3 games, but he's also been praised for his defense (including playing against Gasol today). Seems like he's being giving a real chance to earn the backup PF position there. Getting traded to Dallas was the best thing possible for him.

Comment

• Sooo all canadians that'll be competing for a spot:

PG: Joseph, Ennis, Anderson, Kabongo
              SG: Heslip, Stauskas, English, Rautins
              SF: Wiggins, Doornekamp, Nicholson, Famutimi
              PF: Thompson, Kendall, Bennett, Birch, Powell, Ejim
              C: Olynyk, Anthony, Dalembert, Bachynski, Bhullar, Sacre

Am I missing anyone?

Comment

• Devoe and Kris Joseph, Phil Scrubb come to mind as getting camp invites.

I don't think Dalembert is interested in participating with the program, given the bad blood.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                  Devoe and Kris Joseph, Phil Scrubb come to mind as getting camp invites.

I don't think Dalembert is interested in participating with the program, given the bad blood.
                  Didn't think Kris Joseph would but as far as Dalembert goes he might change his mind now that we actually have talent. Don't see him getting minutes of he makes the roster though, I'd rather play both Olynyk and Anthony

Comment

• Offensively the probably starting 5 of Joseph, Wiggins, Thompson, Olynyk and Heslip/Stauskas/English will be solid. Couple floor stretchers, Thompson down low, Wiggins slashing and Joseph penetrating. Defensively we won't be too good, all SG's are below average, Thompson below average, Olynyk below average. Wiggins and Joseph will have to step up.

Comment

• Cannot wait for Wiggins to shit on the other teams while repping team Canada!
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                        Sooo all canadians that'll be competing for a spot:

PG: Joseph, Ennis, Anderson, Kabongo
                        SG: Heslip, Stauskas, English, Rautins
                        SF: Wiggins, Doornekamp, Nicholson, Famutimi
                        PF: Thompson, Kendall, Bennett, Birch, Powell, Ejim
                        C: Olynyk, Anthony, Dalembert, Bachynski, Bhullar, Sacre

Am I missing anyone?
                        Pangos, Hanlan, Wiltjer, Lyles, Mo Walker, Pierre...

Also, Nicholson should be slotted in as a 4 while Ejim is more suited as a 3.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Things are looking bright for Canada Basketball.

Comment

Didn't include any of those guys because none are drafted. I was talking about the roster this summer.

Seeing as it's international they'll probably have both playing the 4.

Comment

Sheppard ... Has a lot of FIBA experience ..

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                                Didn't include any of those guys because none are drafted. I was talking about the roster this summer.

Seeing as it's international they'll probably have both playing the 4.
                                While I don't think any of those guys will realistically be on the team next summer, it's not unheard of to have college guys at international tournaments (see Heslip last FIBA, for example). That said, as our depth gets better, it'll happen less.

Comment

Working...
                                X