No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, with Boston College getting eliminated today, the Olivier Hanlan watch begins again. I think he'll declare this year. He made a big improvement to his assist numbers (while not significantly increasing his turnover numbers), continued to develop his 'clutch' reputation with his best games coming in the heart of the ACC schedule and against ranked teams. I think he projects best as an off-the-bench, scoring PG. One concern I'd have about him is that a lot of his scoring comes from the line, and he's unlikely to get a favourable whistle while trying to establish himself in the NBA. He's still defensively weak, but if he can make the case that he can fit at PG, at least he has size and length in his favour.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
      That video "Defining the Bad Boys" has a number of sucker hits by the Pistons and some by the Celtics also.
      Detroit sucker hits always makes me think of this. You do not mess with Larry Bird.

Comment

• Rathan-Mayes dropped 30 today on Clemson in FSU's ACC tournament game. Clemson was trailing by 13 with just 1:39 to go in the game and had a shot to win the game at the end and missed. FSU plays first seed Virginia tomorrow.

Comment

• Rathan Mayes can play some point guard. I think he has potential to play for the national team in the near future. He's the same age as Wiggins and Ennis. I have mostly watched his scoring highlights so I don't know if he plays defense much, though.

Comment

• Wow the last time Wiggins was at the ACC he was a teenager cheering the Raptors and last night the guy is playing against those guys ....

Comment

• March Madness’s Canadian Content.

Twenty-eight Canadians will compete in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament starting this week — and odds are, some of them should advance pretty far. In the East Region, the three top-ranked teams — Villanova, Virginia and Oklahoma — all have a Canadian on their roster, as does No. 1 Kentucky in the Midwest. When it comes to quantity, no one beats New Mexico State. The 15-seed in the Midwest has five Canadians on its roster. Gonzaga, No. 2 in the south, and Harvard, No. 13 in the West, each have three.

EAST REGION
              No. 1 Villanova
              Dylan Ennis (G), Brampton, Ont.

No. 2 Virginia
              Marial Shayok (F), Ottawa

No. 3 Oklahoma
              Dinjiyl Walker (G), Thornhill, Ont.

No. 6 Providence
              Junior Lomomba (F), Montreal

No. 11 Dayton (**must beat Boise State in a play-in game Wednesday to qualify)
              Dyshawn Pierre (F), Whitby, Ont.

No. 14 Albany
              Richard Peters (C), Pickering, Ont.

No. 16 Lafayette
              Jake Newman (G), Surrey

WEST REGION
              No. 3 Baylor
              Kenny Chery (G), Montreal, Que.

No. 8 Oregon
              Dillon Brooks (F), Mississauga, Ont.

No. 13 Harvard
              Chris Egi (F), Markham, Ont.
              Agunwa Okolie (F), Ajax, Ont.
              Patrick Steeves (F), Montreal

MIDWEST REGION

No. 1 Kentucky
              Trey Lyles (F), Saskatoon

No. 12 Buffalo
              Jarryn Skeete (G), Brampton, Ont.
              Rodell Wigginton (F), Dartmouth, N.S.

No. 13 Valparaiso
              Max Joseph (G), Montreal
              Tevonn Walker (G), Montreal

No. 15 New Mexico State
              Tanveer Bhullar (C), Toronto
              Rashawn Browne (G), Toronto
              Daniel Mullings (G), Toronto
              Jalyn Pennie (F), Ajax, Ont.
              Matthew Taylor (F), Brampton, Ont.

SOUTH REGION
              No. 2 Gonzaga
              Kevin Pangos (G), Holland Landing, Ont.
              Dustin Triano (G), Tsawwassen
              Kyle Wiltjer (F), Portland, Ore.*

No. 3 Iowa State
              Naz Long (G), Mississauga, Ont.

No. 5 Utah
              Dallin Bachynski (C), Calgary

No. 8 San Diego State
              Kevin Zabo (G), Gatineau, Que.

*Holds dual Canadian-American citizenship

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                March Madness’s Canadian Content.

Twenty-eight Canadians will compete in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament starting this week — and odds are, some of them should advance pretty far. In the East Region, the three top-ranked teams — Villanova, Virginia and Oklahoma — all have a Canadian on their roster, as does No. 1 Kentucky in the Midwest. When it comes to quantity, no one beats New Mexico State. The 15-seed in the Midwest has five Canadians on its roster. Gonzaga, No. 2 in the south, and Harvard, No. 13 in the West, each have three.

EAST REGION
                No. 1 Villanova
                Dylan Ennis (G), Brampton, Ont.

No. 2 Virginia
                Marial Shayok (F), Ottawa

No. 3 Oklahoma
                Dinjiyl Walker (G), Thornhill, Ont.

No. 6 Providence
                Junior Lomomba (F), Montreal

No. 11 Dayton (**must beat Boise State in a play-in game Wednesday to qualify)
                Dyshawn Pierre (F), Whitby, Ont.

No. 14 Albany
                Richard Peters (C), Pickering, Ont.

No. 16 Lafayette
                Jake Newman (G), Surrey

WEST REGION
                No. 3 Baylor
                Kenny Chery (G), Montreal, Que.

No. 8 Oregon
                Dillon Brooks (F), Mississauga, Ont.

No. 13 Harvard
                Chris Egi (F), Markham, Ont.
                Agunwa Okolie (F), Ajax, Ont.
                Patrick Steeves (F), Montreal

MIDWEST REGION

No. 1 Kentucky
                Trey Lyles (F), Saskatoon

No. 12 Buffalo
                Jarryn Skeete (G), Brampton, Ont.
                Rodell Wigginton (F), Dartmouth, N.S.

No. 13 Valparaiso
                Max Joseph (G), Montreal
                Tevonn Walker (G), Montreal

No. 15 New Mexico State
                Tanveer Bhullar (C), Toronto
                Rashawn Browne (G), Toronto
                Daniel Mullings (G), Toronto
                Jalyn Pennie (F), Ajax, Ont.
                Matthew Taylor (F), Brampton, Ont.

SOUTH REGION
                No. 2 Gonzaga
                Kevin Pangos (G), Holland Landing, Ont.
                Dustin Triano (G), Tsawwassen
                Kyle Wiltjer (F), Portland, Ore.*

No. 3 Iowa State
                Naz Long (G), Mississauga, Ont.

No. 5 Utah
                Dallin Bachynski (C), Calgary

No. 8 San Diego State
                Kevin Zabo (G), Gatineau, Que.

*Holds dual Canadian-American citizenship
                Thanks a lot for this. Will make it more fun to watch the games since none of my teams made the tourney. Now I can root for the Canadian players on each team and envision them winning gold at the Olympics in 2020.

Comment

• Dylan Ennis also holds dual citizenship (Jamaica/Canada). I believe Trey Lyles has dual citizenship as he grew up in Indianapolis and was named to the 2011-12 USA Developmental National Team.

Comment

Dylan Ennis also holds dual citizenship (Jamaica/Canada). I believe Trey Lyles has dual citizenship as he grew up in Indianapolis and was named to the 2011-12 USA Developmental National Team.
                    Pretty confusing -- Trey Lyles is currently in the Basketball Canada system

http://www.basketball.ca/trey-lyles-...yer/trey-lyles

How is that possible?

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      Pretty confusing -- Trey Lyles is currently in the Basketball Canada system

http://www.basketball.ca/trey-lyles-...yer/trey-lyles

How is that possible?
                      He had been in the US national development system, but the Canadian program (including Nash) made a big recruiting pitch for him and convinced him to join the Canadian program. My understanding is that because he competed for Canada in a major FIBA tournament after turning 18, he's now committed to the Canadian program (there are rare cases where a player can switch national programs, but I don't know if any of these would apply to Lyles).

(He played for Canada at both the 2012 U18 Americas and the 2013 U19 World tournaments).
                      Last edited by octothorp; Tue Mar 24, 2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• The Trey Lyles story from a recent Globe and Mail article:

Lyles’s father, Thomas, an Indianapolis native, came to Canada to play for the Saskatoon Storm, a pro basketball team that competed in the World League in the early 1990s. There he met his wife, Jasenka, a Saskatoon native. Trey was born in 1995, and eventually dabbled in hockey, like many boys in Saskatchewan, playing a little basketball on the side at the park with his Dad.

His father, by then a musician, moved the family back to Indiana in 2002, where every kid on the playground was dribbling a basketball. Father and son began playing there day and night.
                        http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle23532004/

Comment

The Trey Lyles story from a recent Globe and Mail article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle23532004/
                          saw a segment on TSN .. Trey left Canada when he was 6 years old but is so proud to be Canadian ...

Comment

• Andrew Wiggins ROE for 2015 ... Yes / Maybe .. Chicago's Mirotic is putting a late push that can't be ignored .. Last 5 game stretch avg 25 pts 7 boards for a playoff team .. He is 24 and has played pro ball in Europe and so wonder if voters will make that a negative point for voting for him ..

Comment

• Steve Nash announced his retirement ... Do you hold it against him that he said no to Canada on a number occasions or are you like me he played for Canada until he was 30 ( that is a twelve year span ) ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                                Steve Nash announced his retirement ... Do you hold it against him that he said no to Canada on a number occasions or are you like me he played for Canada until he was 30 ( that is a twelve year span ) ..
                                If every Canadian player gave what Nash did to the program, Canada would have a higher international profile, and possibly a better program (more success in the 90's and early to mid 2000's could have lead to more interest from youngsters) than it does now. And Nash is continuing to give to the program, only in a different capacity, when he could be simply focusing on his own business. You can't diss Nash for his contributions.

Comment

Working...
                                X