Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guyroch wrote: View Post
    Brady Heslip may have got his Euro gig for how he played for Team Canada then how he played in last years summer league .. With Toronto having a D-League next year .. I can see Pangos playing for that team if he can't get drafted ..

I can't see Spurs with all the time invested in Joseph ( his development ) that he won't at least been signed for 1 more year ..
    In referring to Joseph, I was thinking that his contract situation may not be resolved in time to play at the Pan Am Games and/or FIBA Americas, with the risk of injury as a free agent.

Comment

• I expect a few of the big names to skip the Pan Ams, but everyone to play in the FIBA Americas, which is the only tournament that matters. Pan Am = Practice. FIBA Americas = Olympic Qualifier. Also, the FIBA Americas doesn't conflict with summer league and is after free agency, so all our guys should have contracts by then, and if not, FIBA will be their best way to showcase themselves for a contract somewhere.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
        In referring to Joseph, I was thinking that his contract situation may not be resolved in time to play at the Pan Am Games and/or FIBA Americas, with the risk of injury as a free agent.
        Free agency moratorium is July 1-9 (when the negotiating happens), and teams may begin signing free agents on July 10th. FIBA Americas doesn't start until August 31st, so everyone who is going to be signed will be signed by then. I'd expect the guys looking for deals to skip the Pan Am games though.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
          Thompson's agent is also Lebron's agent ... I think he doesn't have to be worried about his next contract .. Lebron will make sure Cavs will take care of him ...

Is it just me but is Tristian becoming a bit overrated ? I love his energy and his game but the money associated to him is kind
          of crazy ... He rebounds , blocks but has no offensive game ..
          Probably. He's great for rebounding and put backs, but that's it. He's an average to slightly below average defender and takes 66% of this shots within 3 feet, and all of his shots within 10 feet. He saw a nice uptick in efficiency this year by lowering his usage, shot attempts, and minutes. We'll see what kind of contract he ends up with, but he's not worth a max, even when the new cap comes into play and max is more like a $13M per year deal is today.

Comment

• It's not such a bad thing for some of our second-tier (non-nba) guys to get extra experience in the program. With the idiotic changes to FIBA qualifying, we may need to rely on our international players more than we would like, simply to get to the FIBA Worlds, and then hope our NBA players can take over for Olympic Qualifying.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
              It's not such a bad thing for some of our second-tier (non-nba) guys to get extra experience in the program. With the idiotic changes to FIBA qualifying, we may need to rely on our international players more than we would like, simply to get to the FIBA Worlds, and then hope our NBA players can take over for Olympic Qualifying.
              FIBA Worlds was last summer (we didn't make it). We qualify for the Olympics is we finish top 2 in the FIBA Americas this summer, and we qualify for the FIBA World Olympic Qualifier if we finish 3-5 at FIBA Americas. So everyone better play in the FIBA Americas it will be a lot easier to qualify for the Olympics there then it will be in the Qualifier.
              Last edited by Primer; Tue Jun 2, 2015, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• While there are a few guys that we all consider locks for spots with the senior men's team, we have a bunch of quality guys on the bubble that may think it best to commit to the Pan Am games team to help them earn a spot for FIBA Americas.

Bigs

Dwight Powell
                Andrew Nicholson
                Olynyk
                Sacre
                Bennet
                Kendall
                Bachynski
                Owen Klassen
                Lyles

Guards/Wings

English
                Shepherd
                Ejim
                Phil Scrubb
                Heslip
                Hanlan
                Pangos
                Anderson
                Rautins
                Devoe Joseph

Plus a few other young guys still in school and some other guys that have experience with the senior team not mentioned makes for a tough team to crack.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                  While there are a few guys that we all consider locks for spots with the senior men's team, we have a bunch of quality guys on the bubble that may think it best to commit to the Pan Am games team to help them earn a spot for FIBA Americas.

Bigs

Dwight Powell
                  Andrew Nicholson
                  Olynyk
                  Sacre
                  Bennet
                  Kendall
                  Bachynski
                  Owen Klassen
                  Lyles

Guards/Wings

English
                  Shepherd
                  Ejim
                  Phil Scrubb
                  Heslip
                  Hanlan
                  Pangos
                  Anderson
                  Rautins
                  Devoe Joseph

Plus a few other young guys still in school and some other guys that have experience with the senior team not mentioned makes for a tough team to crack.
                  You forgot Khem Birch. He killed it in the DLeague. Not sure if he has a summer league invite or not.

Comment

• I know Joseph is an RFA but San Anotonio usually isn't picky about letting their players play international unless they're older and need rest (manuuuuu).

And I'm not overly concerned with Pan Am. I just care about the Fiba Americas. Would be nice to get as many of our guys into the Pan Am just so they develop chemistry but if not, it's fine.

We SHOULD have enough talent to out talent teams in the Fiba games.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      FIBA Worlds was last summer (we didn't make it). We qualify for the Olympics is we finish top 2 in the FIBA Americas this summer, and we qualify for the FIBA World Olympic Qualifier if we finish 3-5 at FIBA Americas. So everyone better play in the FIBA Americas it will be a lot easier to qualify for the Olympics there then it will be in the Qualifier.
                      No, I'm talking about the changes after this Olympics, where FIBA Americas becomes irrelevant, and we must qualify for FIBA worlds through six qualifying tournaments, which may occur during the NBA season, and the only way to qualify for the Olympics is through FIBA worlds.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                        I know Joseph is an RFA but San Anotonio usually isn't picky about letting their players play international unless they're older and need rest (manuuuuu).

And I'm not overly concerned with Pan Am. I just care about the Fiba Americas. Would be nice to get as many of our guys into the Pan Am just so they develop chemistry but if not, it's fine.

I do care about the Pan Am games, they are on home soil and I think some of our main guys need to experience winning. We need to develop an attitude winning.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                          While there are a few guys that we all consider locks for spots with the senior men's team, we have a bunch of quality guys on the bubble that may think it best to commit to the Pan Am games team to help them earn a spot for FIBA Americas.

Bigs

Dwight Powell
                          Andrew Nicholson
                          Olynyk
                          Sacre
                          Bennet
                          Kendall
                          Bachynski
                          Owen Klassen
                          Lyles

Guards/Wings

English
                          Shepherd
                          Ejim
                          Phil Scrubb
                          Heslip
                          Hanlan
                          Pangos
                          Anderson
                          Rautins
                          Devoe Joseph

Has Lyles said he wants to play for Canada? I know he played for the States before. I guess now that I think about it, there's no way he makes any US team so Canada is the only choice.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                            Has Lyles said he wants to play for Canada? I know he played for the States before. I guess now that I think about it, there's no way he makes any US team so Canada is the only choice.
                            Lyles was in camp for the US, but he's more recently played for Canada. He's currently in the Basketball Canada program.

EDIT: It's confusing as hell. I've asked people here and elsewhere -- it appears that he's committed to Basketball Canada.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              Probably. He's great for rebounding and put backs, but that's it. He's an average to slightly below average defender and takes 66% of this shots within 3 feet, and all of his shots within 10 feet. He saw a nice uptick in efficiency this year by lowering his usage, shot attempts, and minutes. We'll see what kind of contract he ends up with, but he's not worth a max, even when the new cap comes into play and max is more like a $13M per year deal is today.
                              I remember watching him for the first time with the Canadian team and saying to myself this NBA player is going to dominate the Jamaica team but I was so wrong .. His offensive game was ugly and started the game 0 for 8 ... He is Dennis Rodman and the fact he was learning to shoot with another hand made it seem even more ugly ..

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                                I know Joseph is an RFA but San Anotonio usually isn't picky about letting their players play international unless they're older and need rest (manuuuuu).

Your so right about the Spurs .. Tony Parker can barely get through a NBA season but is playing this summer for France

Comment

Working...
                                X