Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJF wrote: View Post
    Some talk out there right now that Thompson will not be suiting up for Canada this summer. He had a very long season and I am sure could use the rest and recovery. Add his contract negotiations on top of that and I think he deserves the pass. Will be a loss though, but it does provide an opportunity for someone to step up.
    He is 24 and tourney doesn't start till Aug 31st ... That is 2 months to rest and contract will be settled by then ... Heck old guys like Dirk and Parker still answer the call when country calls ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
      He is 24 and tourney doesn't start till Aug 31st ... That is 2 months to rest and contract will be settled by then ... Heck old guys like Dirk and Parker still answer the call when country calls ..
      The FIBA Americas tournament is a much tougher grind, more physically taxing event than the NBA finals. Canada has a bye on the first day of competition then plays four games on consecutive days right off the bat starting Sept. 1. Sept. 5 is a day off then, assuming Canada qualifies for the second round, Canada will play on 4 consecutive days. Sept. 10 is another day of no competition then the semis and final are on Sept. 11 and 12.

If Canada makes it to the final and thereby qualifies, that will be 10 games in 12 days.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
        The FIBA Americas tournament is a much tougher grind, more physically taxing event than the NBA finals. Canada has a bye on the first day of competition then plays four games on consecutive days right off the bat starting Sept. 1. Sept. 5 is a day off then, assuming Canada qualifies for the second round, Canada will play on 4 consecutive days. Sept. 10 is another day of no competition then the semis and final are on Sept. 11 and 12.

If Canada makes it to the final and thereby qualifies, that will be 10 games in 12 days.
        regardless...it is 2 months rest with a settled contract and playing for a shot at the Olympics...definitely know TT & Joseph (min.) will miss Pan Am with don't see any of them missing the FIBA tourney

Comment

• soo is that Clevelanddotcom report correct? TT will not play for Canadian National Team? Bummer.

Comment

• Ducking a FIBA event is as easy as saying the word "no." I understand the reasoning in that a NBA player would decline.

Comment

With the depth of big man and some games being gimmies games ( blow outs ) it's not like Tristan will be asked to carry this team like he had to with the Cavs ..If it is a tough grind for Tristan then it will be a tuff grind for everyone participating and so everyone should say no ... With Cavs getting Varejao , Love back to start next season and Mozgov in the mix then it's not like his work load will be as high as it was in the playoffs..

stretch wrote: View Post
              Ducking a FIBA event is as easy as saying the word "no." I understand the reasoning in that a NBA player would decline.
              This tourney is for an Olympic berth ... Olympics is a big thing for even NBA players ...
              Last edited by guyroch; Wed Jun 17, 2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• TT lost me when he blamed not knowing whether he was a lefty or righty on growing up playing in Canada.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Eurobasket (the European equivalent to FIBA Americas) is just as grueling of a schedule, yet old men like Gasol, Parker, and Dirk are already committed. Tristan is only 24, he needs to man the fuck up and represent his country so we can get an Olympic birth.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                    Eurobasket (the European equivalent to FIBA Americas) is just as grueling of a schedule, yet old men like Gasol, Parker, and Dirk are already committed. Tristan is only 24, he needs to man the fuck up and represent his country so we can get an Olympic birth.
                    Post of the day ...

Comment

• Triano says they will all be at FIBA Americas:

In reference to the Pan Ams

“So it looks as though we’re going to have a couple of guys who will have to go through that free agency process. So we’re not going to have Tristan (Thompson of the NBA finalist Cleveland Cavaliers), and we’re not going to have Cory (Joseph of the San Antonio Spurs). But they’ll be there for qualifications.

“If fact, I think every single Canadian will be there for the qualification, as far as I know.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Te...563/story.html

Comment

Not true!

Eurobasket teams 5 games in 6 days in the opening round. Then after a rest 1-2 days off, the 16 qualifying teams go right to elimination play with 2 days off between each round. FIBA Americas plays a second round of round robin play with 4 consecutive game days before the top 4 teams get to elimination play.

The top 2 finishers in Eurobasket play 9 games in 16 days. The top 2 at FIBA Americas will play 10 games in 13 days, 10 games in 12 days for Canada if they go all the way to the final as they open the tournament with a bye.

Comment

• Sounds like we got a little screwed in having a first-day bye. But then on the other hand, we're playing our biggest game of the opening round against Venezuela, coming in fully rested while they're on a back-to-back after playing a potentially competitive Puerto Rico team the day before.

Comment

Triano says they will all be at FIBA Americas:

In reference to the Pan Ams

“So it looks as though we’re going to have a couple of guys who will have to go through that free agency process. So we’re not going to have Tristan (Thompson of the NBA finalist Cleveland Cavaliers), and we’re not going to have Cory (Joseph of the San Antonio Spurs). But they’ll be there for qualifications.

“If fact, I think every single Canadian will be there for the qualification, as far as I know.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Te...563/story.html
                            Something tells me they will use the Pam Am games for a tryout ie young roster and see who shines and gets a chance for Septembers tourney ... I remember Heslip did so well in the University games one summer and that got him a invited to the Senior team ..
                            Last edited by guyroch; Wed Jun 17, 2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

There will always be reason's ( excuses for not playing ) for not playing ... If you want to play for your country there will be no reason's not to go ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                                There will always be reason's ( excuses for not playing ) for not playing ... If you want to play for your country there will be no reason's not to go ..
                                Not true. There can be insurance issues, NBA teams not allowing you to play, and many other reasons. You can't just make a blanket statement and pass it off as fact.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X