Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octothorp wrote: View Post
    Looking at where Canada ranks compared to other teams, I think Australia is capable of moving into the upper tiers in the next few years too (not for 2016, but by 2020). A core of Bogut (if he can avoid the sort of injuries that plague aging big men), Delladova, Mills, Exum, Simmons, Maker, McCarron, plus a solid, growing, domestic league. If Exum, Simmons, and Maker all come close to their ceilings and they surround them with good secondary talent, that's a dangerous team down the road.
    Kyrie Irving?

Comment

• GuiJaeger wrote: View Post
      Well, this was not Brazil's A team either. Nene, Barbosa, Splitter, Raul Neto & Huertas were all out. Plus, barring Murray, Wiggins and Thompson, Canada's not that impressive on talent alone. Not saying Brazil is, but we obviously have a better team system in place. Ruben Magnano is a great basketball coach. He steered Argentina's golden generation (Ginobili, Scola, Prigioni) to a lot of titles. We were very fortunate to get him.

And no Bruno wouldn't go to the Olympics team. Bebe might. But I don't think so either.
      Since you obviously follow the program, can you explain what's going on with Brazil's olympic spot? I had thought they had an automatic berth, but it now seems like FIBA may make them qualify via the FIBA Americas? If they are forced to go the qualifying route, will most of those A-team players be available?

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
        so we made it to the olympics
        No.

Qualifying happens at the FIBA Americas tournament in September.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Since you obviously follow the program, can you explain what's going on with Brazil's olympic spot? I had thought they had an automatic berth, but it now seems like FIBA may make them qualify via the FIBA Americas? If they are forced to go the qualifying route, will most of those A-team players be available?
          I think it is a matter of paperwork at this point. Brazil will get an automatic bid.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• meductic wrote: View Post
            Kyrie Irving?
            He's already played for US at senior, international level.

Comment

• GuiJaeger wrote: View Post
              Well, that's also why I meant that Canada will probably have an easier time in the future. But right now, Spain can still count on guys like Llull, Navarro, Fernandez and the Gasols, for the Olympics for example. Plus they have Rubio, Mirotic and Ibaka who are all pretty young.
              Yeah, the Canadian squad lacks a lot of the mature polish to their game that the Spanish and Argentinian vets bring to the table, but if we're talking talent alone, the Canada basketball has a lot of very talented young players coming up. And by that I mean other than the obvious names like Wiggins, Murray and Thompson. And guys like Pau, Calderon, Manu and Scola, who have meant so much to their programs are getting pretty long in the tooth.

Comment

• CJ/Murray/Pangos or Cadougan
                Staus/Heslip/Murray
                Wiggins/Ejim
                Thompson/Nicholson/Bennett
                Olynck/Sacre/Lyles/Birch

I'd say we have a great group at the moment, I'm so excited for Fiba americas
                Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Mon Jul 27, 2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                  I think it is a matter of paperwork at this point. Brazil will get an automatic bid.
                  It's not a slam dunk. FIBA is expecting a payment from Brazil in exchange for automatic bids.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11469576

Comment

• FromDeep wrote: View Post
                    Yeah, the Canadian squad lacks a lot of the mature polish to their game that the Spanish and Argentinian vets bring to the table, but if we're talking talent alone, the Canada basketball has a lot of very talented young players coming up. And by that I mean other than the obvious names like Wiggins, Murray and Thompson. And guys like Pau, Calderon, Manu and Scola, who have meant so much to their programs are getting pretty long in the tooth.
                    I don't even think Manu will go to be honest. But the FIBA rules and measurements make it easier on the body of the players, and they benefit guys like Pau and Scola. Scola, especially, has always been a monster for the Argentina's national team.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      CJ/Ennis/Murray
                      Staus/Murray/English
                      Wiggins/Ejim
                      Olynck/Lyles/Anthony

Is it because Nik Stauskas was drafted in NBA the reason people have him a lock on their lists .... I would have Andy Rautins and Heslip over English ... English did nothing in the Pan Am games that would scream a call for August ... It was often the bench backcourt that had to get the Canadian team back in the game ..

Defensively Tristan will do wonder for Canada's team defense .. Hope he gets his contract worked out ...

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                        Is it because Nik Stauskas was drafted in NBA the reason people have him a lock on their lists .... I would have Andy Rautins and Heslip over English ... English did nothing in the Pan Am games that would scream a call for August ... It was often the bench backcourt that had to get the Canadian team back in the game ..

Defensively Tristan will do wonder for Canada's team defense .. Hope he gets his contract worked out ...
                        Stauskas was also amazing in college playing in a really tough conference and started to come on in the NBA towards the end of the season. There's no doubt he's the most talented Canadian SG (assuming Murray is a PG, cause Murray is awesome), and his game is tailor made for FIBA.

I agree with Heslip over English. English's career on Team Canada should be done now, I don't see room for him on the FIBA America's roster or any "A" team Canada roster moving forward.

Comment

CJ/Ennis/Murray
                          Staus/Murray/English
                          Wiggins/Ejim
                          Olynck/Lyles/Anthony

Yeah I like Heslip and Hanlan off the bench over English. Also put Sacre over Lyles and Anthony at this point.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

CJ/Ennis/Murray
                            Staus/Murray/English
                            Wiggins/Ejim
                            Olynck/Lyles/Anthony

I've read that Ennis is out for the summer with his shoulder surgery. Which is okay, I don't mind Murray as back up PG, but probably need another PG added to the roster... maybe Cadougan or Pangos.

I'd go with Olynyk/Sacre/Birch at C.

Comment

I've read that Ennis is out for the summer with his shoulder surgery. Which is okay, I don't mind Murray as back up PG, but probably need another PG added to the roster... maybe Cadougan or Pangos.

I'd go with Olynyk/Sacre/Birch at C.
                              I'm fine with Bhullar being on the team as a 3rd C. Would be useful if the opposing team has a really large big man. Bhullar's defense and shot blocking are pretty legit, like every time I saw a guard drive towards him I knew it was going to be an easy blocked shot. It's also an auto-dunk if you can get him the ball within 3 feet of the basket. I haven't seen Sacre or Birch with the national team though so I can't really say who Bhullar should replace there. I'm excited to see what the FIBA roster ends up being.

Comment

• Hanlan can't play unless he gets a guarantee and Ennis just had surgery. Makes me mildly worried about the bench. No way English should be on the team. I agree Heslip is way more important. Pangos would be a good addition, but again, he needs a guarantee somewhere. Khem Birch is an interesting option at the 4/5 as well.

Even if TT doesn't get his contract sorted on time, the frontcourt options are way better than past teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X