Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    The injury issue and money cut are related, but different.

Injury-wise, NBA franchises do care alot about what players do in their spare time. In player's contracts franchises have full rights to veto certain spare-time activities (like who was it that got injured riding a mo-ped, awhile back, lol?). If you recall, this actually happened with the Raptor's Young Guns (DD, Weems, Ed Davis) when they were playing pickup against local scrubs and Davis got injured. Those pickup games ended pretty quick right after that.

I suspect that each situation is case-by-case with the player having to approach the franchise for approval. Injury wise, the franchise would assess the risk-reward of having the player use the Drew League to stay in shape. They would look at the level of competition and how professionally run the whole setup is and decide if the benefits outweigh the risk.

Economically, the Drew League is just too small potatoes for the NBA to even care about. Cuban is really targeting the IOC, which is basically a multi-billion dollar conglomerate that accesses it's product (professional athletes) at no cost. The IOC competes with the NBA for big ticket sponsorship dollars and without NBA players, I doubt the Olympics would attract the same number of eyeballs and advertising revenue that it does now. That's what the NBA wants (and deserves, IMO) a piece of.
    I'm only addressing injuries but it seemed like you equated the NBA teams getting paid as compensation for risking injury during international competition. If it's just about teams being compensated for IOC making money off their players in the offseason, that's a whole different issue and not a terribly important one in my mind (e.g. should we be compensating billionaires for their players volunteering to play for their country).

My main point is NBA players need to be playing basketball at a high level year round so they're going to be playing basketball during the summer whether they play for their international team or not. Injuries are a risk every time you step on the court. I'd argue international ball is safer than the alternative because at least you have pro medical and training staffs working with the players and ready to help if something happens. The Paul George or Exum situations could have been a lot worse if they happened at Drew League or in a pickup game.

I know guys are banned from high risk stuff like motorcycles, but they can't ban them from playing any kind of basketball in the offseason. I don't see how playing international ball is inherently more risky than any other thing they'd be doing to stay in shape and get better in the offseason.

Comment

• Michael Grange
      Michael Grange – Verified account ‏@michaelgrange

Breaking: agent Rich Paul tells @Sportsnet Tristan Thompson will sign 1yr Qualifying offer with Cavs and be a free agent in 2016 /1.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        Michael Grange
        Michael Grange – Verified account ‏@michaelgrange

Breaking: agent Rich Paul tells @Sportsnet Tristan Thompson will sign 1yr Qualifying offer with Cavs and be a free agent in 2016 /1.
        Interesting! Will the Raptors be in the picture as a free agent signing next July?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          I'm only addressing injuries but it seemed like you equated the NBA teams getting paid as compensation for risking injury during international competition. If it's just about teams being compensated for IOC making money off their players in the offseason, that's a whole different issue and not a terribly important one in my mind (e.g. should we be compensating billionaires for their players volunteering to play for their country).

My main point is NBA players need to be playing basketball at a high level year round so they're going to be playing basketball during the summer whether they play for their international team or not. Injuries are a risk every time you step on the court. I'd argue international ball is safer than the alternative because at least you have pro medical and training staffs working with the players and ready to help if something happens. The Paul George or Exum situations could have been a lot worse if they happened at Drew League or in a pickup game.

I know guys are banned from high risk stuff like motorcycles, but they can't ban them from playing any kind of basketball in the offseason. I don't see how playing international ball is inherently more risky than any other thing they'd be doing to stay in shape and get better in the offseason.
          Exum suffered a left knee injury on Aug. 4 while competing for the Australian National Team in a game against the Slovenian National

It was such a innocent play, a play you might have seen him do 1000 times and it could have happened anytime it just happened at a FIBA event
          Last edited by guyroch; Mon Aug 10, 2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Damn that's too bad. No TT for Canada this year!
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• "All I know is on TT Qualifying Offer will be His Last year with the Cavs" - Rich Paul on Tristan Thompson Negotiations.

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                Damn that's too bad. No TT for Canada this year!
                If you can have a nudge nudge wink wink with Kevin Love that he will get a max contract then why isn't this the case with TT ? Sign the qualifying offer ( which will help in team Tax ) and get the max next summer ...

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                  If you can have a nudge nudge wink wink with Kevin Love that he will get a max contract then why isn't this the case with TT ? Sign the qualifying offer ( which will help in team Tax ) and get the max next summer ...
                  I dunno Grange is saying he will definitely not be playing cause of contract impasse. From reading in between the lines it sounds like they ain't agreeing on shit more than a "wink wink".
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Damn that's too bad. No TT for Canada this year!
                    Isn't Jamual Murray and Tristian Thompson in the same situation ( although TT is in a better situation goes he knows he is at least getting money this year ) but one is trying to do what ever it takes to play for Canada and the other is already saying no ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                      Isn't Jamual Murray and Tristian Thompson in the same situation ( although TT is in a better situation goes he knows he is at least getting money this year ) but one is trying to do what ever it takes to play for Canada and the other is already saying no ..
                      That's what I thought at first too but everyone is reporting otherwise. If he's got his guaranteed money for the year than why isn't he playing? Maybe they're scared of a Exum type injury since it's only for one season? Can someone clarify?
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

That's what I thought at first too but everyone is reporting otherwise. If he's got his guaranteed money for the year than why isn't he playing? Maybe they're scared of a Exum type injury since it's only for one season? Can someone clarify?
                        When your agent is also Lebron's agent ... Doesn't that say you will be taken care of and not be screwed ?

His agent even said in no circumstances will he be playing for Canada this summer ...

Comment

• Didn't the Cavs organization draft this guy in the 4th slot way above any mock draft he was projected for ? This agent isn't negotiating he is just saying max or no ..

Comment

• Fortunately this is the position where we can most afford to have one of our NBA players sit out. Nicholson, Bennett, and Powell (or something similar) does not suck by any means, although I would have liked to have Thompson's experience and leadership there.

Comment

• Signing a QO is a BIG gamble on yourself .. if ANYTHING goes wrong this year for TT he could be losing on out ALOT of millions of dollars .. I don't really blame him. Would be nice to have him, but I think we can do ok without him.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                                Fortunately this is the position where we can most afford to have one of our NBA players sit out. Nicholson, Bennett, and Powell (or something similar) does not suck by any means, although I would have liked to have Thompson's experience and leadership there.
                                Its actually possible that Nicholson and Bennet are better suited for this type of tourney than TT is as well .. Nicholson can stretch the floor and hit the outside J, keep defenses honest .. TT can't really offer that.

Comment

Working...
                                X