X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Hanlan will play in Europe this season.
    http://www.sltrib.com/home/2817655-1...anlan-signs-in
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Hanlan's name and picture are on Jazz' official roster page on nba.com.

Comment

• I could see the depth chart looking like this:

C: Olynyk / Sacre / Bhullar

PF: Nicholson / Bennett / Powell

SF: Wiggans / Bennett / Ejim

SG: Stauskus / English

PG: Joseph / Murray / Heslip

CUT: Hanlan, Doornekamp, Scrubb

Bennett would be the first forward off the bench, English would provide an international veteran presence, Powell/Ejim would give them versatility for matchups, Sacre/Bhullar provide depth (fouls) in the middle, and Heslip would slide into the #2 PG spot if Murray is unavailable for the entire tournament.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Aug 11, 2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• I would have Hanlan over English. Not sure what vet presence really means with so many players with NBA experience on the team. Also, I like Nicholson and Bennett starting together like in the Pan Am Games. That would create some continuity. Ideally Murray would start beside Joseph, but I won't be surprised if he gets cut because of NCAA requirements. I would put Scrubb, whose been with the national team for a long time, in that spot (not starting, off the bench).

As it was last major tournament, backup PG looks like a significant problem. Heslip is definitely a small 2 and not a 1.

Comment

• Hanlan ? Weird never heard of this guy but with so many Canadians playing in the NCAA it maybe hard to keep up on them ...

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            I would have Hanlan over English. Not sure what vet presence really means with so many players with NBA experience on the team. Also, I like Nicholson and Bennett starting together like in the Pan Am Games. That would create some continuity. Ideally Murray would start beside Joseph, but I won't be surprised if he gets cut because of NCAA requirements. I would put Scrubb, whose been with the national team for a long time, in that spot (not starting, off the bench).

As it was last major tournament, backup PG looks like a significant problem. Heslip is definitely a small 2 and not a 1.
            In order to start both Nicholson and Bennett, would you ask Wiggans to play SG? Would they both have started if Wiggans was on the roster?

I like the floor-spreading that Stauskus brings to the lineup from the SG spot, which bumps Wiggans to the SF spot, effectively bumping one of Nicholson/Bennett from the starting unit.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I could see the depth chart looking like this:

C: Olynyk / Sacre / Bhullar

SF: Wiggans / Bennett / Ejim

SG: Stauskus / English

PG: Joseph / Murray / Heslip

CUT: Hanlan, Doornekamp, Scrubb

Bennett would be the first forward off the bench, English would provide an international veteran presence, Powell/Ejim would give them versatility for matchups, Sacre/Bhullar provide depth (fouls) in the middle, and Heslip would slide into the #2 PG spot if Murray is unavailable for the entire tournament.
              If English makes the team I'll be really disappointed. He looked like shit in the Pan Ams and that was a way lower level of comp. He's old, he's had his run (an incredibly unsuccessful run), time to move on. Most of these guys already have international experience, we don't need English there.

You also listed 13 guys, but only 12 make the team.

Comment

• Here's my guess at depth chart:

PG: Joseph, Murray, Hanlan

SG: Stauskas, Heslip

SF: Wiggins, Powell, Ejim

PF: Nicholson, Bennett

C: Olynyk, Sacre

Wouldn't be surprised to see Doornekamp in there instead of Hanlan.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                  If English makes the team I'll be really disappointed. He looked like shit in the Pan Ams and that was a way lower level of comp. He's old, he's had his run (an incredibly unsuccessful run), time to move on. Most of these guys already have international experience, we don't need English there.

You also listed 13 guys, but only 12 make the team.
                  Fair enough. As has been stated in previous posts, the backup PG spot (especially with the uncertainty surrounding Murray) is really the weak link. The 12th man would likely be a 3rd PG, assuming Murray makes the team as the backup PG.

In that case, I think the following are locks:
                  C: Olynyk / Sacre
                  SF: Wiggans / Ejim
                  SG: Stauskus
                  PG: Joseph

The battles could be:
                  SG(2): English/Heslip
                  PG(2): Murray/Hanlan/Scrubb (likely Murray)
                  12th man: 5 remaining players (I think most likely either 3rd PG or Bhullar)
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Aug 11, 2015, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Fair enough. As has been stated in previous posts, the backup PG spot (especially with the uncertainty surrounding Murray) is really the weak link. The 12th man would likely be a 3rd PG, assuming Murray makes the team as the backup PG.

In that case, I think the following are locks:
                    C: Olynyk / Sacre
                    SF: Wiggans / Ejim
                    SG: Stauskus
                    PG: Joseph

The battles could be:
                    SG(2): English/Heslip
                    PG(2): Murray/Hanlan/Scrubb (likely Murray)
                    12th man: 5 remaining players (I think most likely either 3rd PG or Bhullar)
                    Heslip over English all day and twice on Sundays. Heslip has been phenomenal for Team Canada going back to the last FIBA Americas.

I agree we could use the PG depth, so Hanlan or Scrubb probably make the team in addition to Murray who is a lock if he is allowed to play (I'm assuming the camp invite means he's allowed to play).

I'd like Bhullar as the 12th man since they're not likely to get minutes regardless of who it is, but they may go with Doornekamp who looked good at the Pan Ams.

Comment

Heslip over English all day and twice on Sundays. Heslip has been phenomenal for Team Canada going back to the last FIBA Americas.

I agree we could use the PG depth, so Hanlan or Scrubb probably make the team in addition to Murray who is a lock if he is allowed to play (I'm assuming the camp invite means he's allowed to play).

I'd like Bhullar as the 12th man since they're not likely to get minutes regardless of who it is, but they may go with Doornekamp who looked good at the Pan Ams.
                      Sounds like the 12th spot will likely come down to Scrubb & Hanlan fighting for the 3rd PG spot, after Murray and Heslip likely take the 10th & 11th spots.

Bhullar is in camp to push Sacre for the backup C spot. English is in camp to push Heslip for the backup SG spot. Doornekamp seems like the longest shot, given the big names ahead of him on the C/PF depth chart.

Comment

Sounds like the 12th spot will likely come down to Scrubb & Hanlan fighting for the 3rd PG spot, after Murray and Heslip likely take the 10th & 11th spots.

Bhullar is in camp to push Sacre for the backup C spot. English is in camp to push Heslip for the backup SG spot. Doornekamp seems like the longest shot, given the big names ahead of him on the C/PF depth chart.
                        Doornekamp is a SF, not a PF/C, he's only 6'6" and has always played SF. We're pretty thin there so I could see him grab a spot.

Comment

In order to start both Nicholson and Bennett, would you ask Wiggans to play SG? Would they both have started if Wiggans was on the roster?

I like the floor-spreading that Stauskus brings to the lineup from the SG spot, which bumps Wiggans to the SF spot, effectively bumping one of Nicholson/Bennett from the starting unit.
                          I see what you're saying. That makes a lot of sense. I'm trying to see if they could generate some continuity between Pan Am and Olympic qualifying, but breaking that up for more guys like Stauskas and Wiggins would probably be beneficial. Maybe start with 2 PFs instead of having a big C? Having Olynyk coming off the bench might work. That would push Bhullar off the team.

Comment

Doornekamp is a SF, not a PF/C, he's only 6'6" and has always played SF. We're pretty thin there so I could see him grab a spot.
                            Do you think he might push Ejim for the 3rd SF spot?

Comment

Do you think he might push Ejim for the 3rd SF spot?
                              Ejim can play SF/PF
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                Ejim can play SF/PF
                                Is Wiggins really 6-8? Looks like he could play SF/PF as well. We are really deep in the front court

Comment

Working...
                                X