No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FIBA Americas is set up to be a test of endurance and will. If things go as hoped for Canada plays 10 games in 12 days in making it to the final and Olympic qualification.

The schedule: http://www.fibaamericas.com/mex2015/...ndario.asp?w=1

Comment

• http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2015/08...ls=nbahpsplit2Nice little vid with Andrews workout. It is easy to understand how stong he is for such a slim guy
      Last edited by rightsideup; Fri Aug 28, 2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• We should definitely finish First amongst our Group. With Mexico, Brazil and Dominican all in Group A, Canada should have no troubles handling Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina and Venezuela.

Comment

• http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/trac...d-start-canada
          http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/trac...o-marchand-cup

The wolves are monitoring there canuck lads

Comment

• The roster is official. No surprises, Hanlan was cut...

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/canada-anno...oster-1.352725

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              The roster is official. No surprises, Hanlan was cut...

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/canada-anno...oster-1.352725
              They barely even played him. What's the point in even bringing him if there gonna bench him and cut him
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                They barely even played him. What's the point in even bringing him if there gonna bench him and cut him
                Experience moving forward is huge, he got to gel with potential future teammates and the coaching staff got to know him better, all good things for both sides.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                  Experience moving forward is huge, he got to gel with potential future teammates and the coaching staff got to know him better, all good things for both sides.
                  Yeah makes sense but I highly doubt he's gonna be making the team later on even. Once Ennis comes back and Murray is available theres no room for him

Comment

Yeah makes sense but I highly doubt he's gonna be making the team later on even. Once Ennis comes back and Murray is available theres no room for him
                    Ennis is still a wild card, also Stauskas did not look like the future starting 2 guard (yet) and Heslip is a one trick pony that can shoot you into games but his defense can cost you some. There could very well be a place or Hanlan moving forward, no one should feel they are a lock to make the team in the future. It will come down to fit and skill level, not just being a first round pick.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• the PG spot is kinda thin with only Joseph and Scrubb

Comment

• Rick Pitino says that there is much to learn coaching this summer for the Puerto Rican national team.

Pitino said what he has learned the most from watching teams such as Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela has been eye-opening and will benefit him and his Louisville teams going forward.

"We've already put in an offensive set from each of those three teams," Pitino said. "I've learned so much offensively already."

Remember, this man is 62, a Hall of Famer, and has a college coaching career winning percentage of .740. He's won two national championships and been to the Final Four seven times. What does he have to learn?

That initial rag-tag group that got blown out was made up primarily of anonymous players. Most didn't even make the roster for the Olympic qualifier (the better players were still playing in pro leagues at the time of the Pan Am Games). But he was able to use those games as an opportunity to scout opposing teams and watch how teams such as Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela ran their offenses.

"The way they pass the ball," Pitino said. "They move the ball, and have a lot of guys who can shoot the 3. Their ball movement, cutting and passing is terrific."

Pitino said each of the three sets he has already implemented into Louisville's system is based on players moving and cutting, along with paint touches, which ultimately enables someone to get an uncontested shot.

"The NBA is a lot of isolation, but a lot of what you see with the international teams is a lot what the San Antonio Spurs do," Pitino said.

"I've given up a couple months of my life. But it's been a worthwhile experience. I've loved the ability to learn new things at this stage of my career. I'll get another chance to take a vacation, but I might never get another opportunity like this."
                        Pitino on the physicality of FIBA ball:

While Pitino admittedly has picked up plenty on the offensive side of the ball, that hasn't quite been the case on the other end of the floor.

"I've learned very little defensively," he said. "It's completely ridiculous. In FIBA, there are a lot of illegal screens, pushing, it's three times more physical than the NBA.

"Guys get fouled five or six times every possession," he added. "There aren't as many spectacular plays because when you go to the basket for a dunk, you get taken out."
                        On the Canadian team:

Pitino did say two players who thrived in the Pan Am Games -- and also the Tuto Marchand Cup, a tune-up for the FIBA Americas Championship -- were Canadians Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett.

"Wiggins is becoming much tougher because of the way the game is played," Pitino said. "And Bennett's confidence is coming back because he enjoys the physical play."
                        Full story: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...-fiba-americas

Comment

• Canada's going to win this tournament.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I'm pumped! Hope the men can join the women's team in the Olympics!
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Saw Uruguay beat Brasil by 12 or so earlier. Brasil looked horrible, they certainly didn't play like the team that killed Canada during the Pan Ams

Comment

Saw Uruguay beat Brasil by 12 or so earlier. Brasil looked horrible, they certainly didn't play like the team that killed Canada during the Pan Ams
                                Punters went really heavily on Uruguay win tonight. Not sure why.

Comment

Working...
                                X