Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guyroch wrote: View Post
    Heslip is a lock ... His game was made for FIBA basketball and will have Euro and FIBA experience ...
    I think it comes down to how content they are to have Olynyk and Thompson as the C's, or whether they prefer to have another big body to bang against the bigger Euro teams. In that case, Powell might be the odd man out, due to the depth at the PF spot with Thompson, Bennett and Nicholson. If they're happy with the C spot and prefer having more versatile players and different options for small-ball lineups, then Sacre is definitely on the outs.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      Don't jinx it man or we will choke on that salami. Venezuela plays a rough basketball with plenty of hits and cheapshots, they won't go down without a fight so hopefully team Canada won't be rattled.
      Meh. Don't believe in jinxes.

Canada is the SUPERIOR team. I'm expecting another blowout win. 25+ points.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Yeah, Canada vastly outclasses every team in talent in this tournament, except maybe Argentina. They've shown that by blowing teams out even in some sloppy games, including one a bit like that against Venezuela earlier this tournament.

Canada should win easily, and if they don't it would be disappointing. Even a close win would be kind of disappointing. But then I actually don't care too much about the finals. Just need to make sure they qualify. Next summer will be the real test. They need to measure themselves against the real crop of top teams in the world.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I think it comes down to how content they are to have Olynyk and Thompson as the C's, or whether they prefer to have another big body to bang against the bigger Euro teams. In that case, Powell might be the odd man out, due to the depth at the PF spot with Thompson, Bennett and Nicholson. If they're happy with the C spot and prefer having more versatile players and different options for small-ball lineups, then Sacre is definitely on the outs.
          I think we stick with Thompson and Olynyk at C (Bennett played some C too), rather than have the vastly less talented Sacre just because he's taller and weighs more. From what I've seen Sacre is the worst player on this team.

Comment

• My ideal lineup for Rio would be

Joseph - Ennis
            Stauskas - Murray - Heslip
            Wiggins - Ejim
            Bennett - Lyles - Powell
            Thompson - Olynyk
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• It will be interesting see if ennis gets any burn in league. I hope so

Comment

• Through the group stages Canada has looked really good, scoring 707 points while only allowed 572 for a point differential of 135. They did lose their first game to Argentina probably due to nerves and unfamiliarity with the physicality of FIBA games.

That's the second best point differential in the last 10 years, only losing to the 2007 USA team. That team won all 7 group stage games, scoring 791 while allowing 541, point differential 250! They also blown out Argentina twice. Granted they had two of the best players in the world on that team, Lebron and Kobe.

It's nice to see that Canada is narrowing the gap.

Comment

• I think it's unreal that starting next year, canada is gonna be cutting NBA players every year for the near future.
                  Next generation is probably gonna be cutting all-stars like the US

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                    My ideal lineup for Rio would be

Joseph - Ennis
                    Wiggins - Ejim
                    Bennett - Lyles - Powell
                    Thompson - Olynyk
                    I think Khem Birch potentially makes enough noise to potentially replace Doornekamp. I see Murray either starting at the 2 or backing up Joseph. Ennis is going to have to earn that spot against Rathan-Mayes, Scrubb, Hanlan and others. I highly doubt Trey Lyles is ready, plus Nicholson has Senior Fiba experience.

It's going to be an interesting competition for those last few roster spots.

First things first though, they got to beat Venezuela before this becomes something worth debating.

Comment

Joseph - Ennis
                      Wiggins - Ejim
                      Bennett - Lyles - Powell
                      Thompson - Olynyk
                      I'd start Olynyk over Bennett.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Joseph - Ennis
                        Wiggins - Ejim
                        Bennett - Lyles - Powell
                        Thompson - Olynyk
                        Interesting Lyles would have to do well to beat out nickelson

Comment

Joseph - Ennis
                          Wiggins - Ejim
                          Bennett - Lyles - Powell
                          Thompson - Olynyk
                          Would be pretty sweet if Lyles can outplay Nicholson. The other swaps we're speculating about seem fairly obvious. Nicholson not making the team would show how serious the talent level is getting.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                            Would be pretty sweet if Lyles can outplay Nicholson. The other swaps we're speculating about seem fairly obvious. Nicholson not making the team would show how serious the talent level is getting.
                            How can he outplay him ? You mean by NBA season ? Nicholson experience with National team should give him a slight advantage over Lyles ... Lyles is young we can use him for future Worlds or Olympics

Comment

• Ennis hasn't played much basketball since Syracuse. Scrubb has a better shot, is a better defender, and is stronger with the ball.

Comment

• I'm worried that TT won't show up to play in Rio.. he'll most likely sign the QO with Cleveland so would become a UFA in the summer next year. If he didn't play in this tourney why would he play next season when he's got his next contract to worry about?

Comment

Working...
                                X