Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    The thing that rang true for me was that despite all the NBA experience few of the Canadians had playoff experience. I think that's what showed. Other than CoJo none of those guys have taken a truly meaningful shot outside of NCAAs. The next game, who stepped up with 2 clutch shots? CoJo. This may become a real issue if Canada's NBA contingent remains shipwrecked on the dredges of NBA failure.

I'm not sure that a coach can resolve that. Yes, he was out coached. That bench should have been a lot shorter in the semis -- a lot of small things should have been corrected. But, I don't think that was the biggest issue.
    Every time I think of that game I get pissed ... You are right .. How many young teams in the NBA ( ie Raptors ) with talent
    often get knocked off in first round ... How many Raptor teams lose game one of the playoffs but unlike NBA playoffs you get to bounce back in game two .

When your talking about experience I am wondering the experience of big games did that ref have ?

Comment

• Battle between Bargs and Jonas going into overtime ..

http://live.fibaeurope.com/www/Game....D=70578&lng=en

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
        Well while you were watching Popeye his son was watching the Leafs and became a NHL lottery pick ..
        How did this guy ever find someone to reproduce with?! Haha

I hear his son is pretty damn good though. Is he considered Canadian?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          How did this guy ever find someone to reproduce with?! Haha

I hear his son is pretty damn good though. Is he considered Canadian?
          No, his son has played already for the American juniors.

Comment

• Jordan Bachynski Agrees To Non-Guaranteed Camp Deal With Pistons

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
              Jordan Bachynski Agrees To Non-Guaranteed Camp Deal With Pistons
              An invite from a team that guaranteed Aaron Gray

Comment

• Greece and Italy won tonight and booked places in qualifying tournament.

There are rumours swirling around that Greece's big names are done with national team. Mmm.

Comment

• Is Canada eligible to host an Olympic qualification tournament next July?

18 teams in total will be involved according to FIBA and 12 teams have already qualified for the 2016 qualifiers: France, Italy, Greece, Serbia, Czech Rep., Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Angola, Tunisia, Senegal and New Zealand. FIBA Asia will add 3 more teams to make it 15.

The remaining 3 teams TBA are referred to as "Olympic Qualifying Tournament Hosts" which as I read it means teams that didn't make the cut in regional FIBA tournaments. That could be Croatia, Turkey, Uruguay, Germany, and Slovenia just to name a few.

http://www.americas2015.com/en/rio.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_F...nament_for_Men

Comment

• France, Italy, Greece, Serbia. Fuck. FIBA should really think about giving an olympic spot to 3rd place winner of Eurobasket. It's not fair to play against France or Serbia in last chance qualifying tournament.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                      Is Canada eligible to host an Olympic qualification tournament next July?

18 teams in total will be involved according to FIBA and 12 teams have already qualified for the 2016 qualifiers: France, Italy, Greece, Serbia, Czech Rep., Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Angola, Tunisia, Senegal and New Zealand. FIBA Asia will add 3 more teams to make it 15.

The remaining 3 teams TBA are referred to as "Olympic Qualifying Tournament Hosts" which as I read it means teams that didn't make the cut in regional FIBA tournaments. That could be Croatia, Turkey, Uruguay, Germany, and Slovenia just to name a few.

http://www.americas2015.com/en/rio.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_F...nament_for_Men
                      Yes, Canada can be a host, but since we already qualified on merit that would free up a spot for another country that didn't, like Croatia. I have no idea how the criteria for choosing from the best of the rest works, although since it's FIBA it's safe to assume the process is akin to selecting popes and shrouded in secrecy. lol.

Comment

• I had not seen it officially. ESPN confirms Canada's interest in hosting a 2016 Olympic qualification tournament.

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/i...ith-nba-owners

One issue under close scrutiny is host rights for July 2016’s three qualifying tournaments for the 2016 Rio Olympics, with ESPN.com learning Turkey has become the latest country to express an interest, joining other possible contenders such as Germany and Canada.

Hosts will have to pay a minimum fee of €1.75 million (the equivalent of $2 million U.S.). Some argue that, with the bidding open even to countries who have not secured automatic berths in the tournament, it allows wealthier nations to buy their way back into the race to the Olympics.
                        According to ESPN, FIBA is willing to share revenues for FIBA events with NBA owners. Nothing is mentioned about players being paid.

Comment

I had not seen it officially. ESPN confirms Canada's interest in hosting a 2016 Olympic qualification tournament.

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/i...ith-nba-owners

According to ESPN, FIBA is willing to share revenues for FIBA events with NBA owners. Nothing is mentioned about players being paid.
                          bold: come again?

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                            If Glen Taylor profits from a FIBA event, why not Andrew Wiggins? FIFA World Cup footballers do get paid.
                            Last edited by stretch; Sat Sep 19, 2015, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              I believe any NBA revenue is being shared through the CBA with NBPA. So all the players WILL get paid, that's where the system messes up.

Comment

If Glen Taylor profits from a FIBA event, why not Andrew Wiggins? FIFA World Cup footballers do get paid.
                                Do they?

FIFA don't pay salary. They pay PRIZE money or DEVELOPMENT payments to the countries.

Every football federation has some type of match fee ( low, usually 1k per match ) + competition winning bonus system. For example, England is paying 1.5k for match win, 1k for a draw, 500 for a defeat. Players usually donate their "fees". FA also promised 750k to every player if they win EURO 2016.

Match fee + winning competition bonus is the system that is being used by every big nation in FIFA.

Why do you think international FIBA players get paid for playing for their own country? It's interesting topic, I always thought they don't get paid at all. [ Just winning bonus ]
                                Last edited by rocwell; Sat Sep 19, 2015, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X