No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the training camp date for the last chance qualifiers? Will fellows with potential long playoff runs have scheduling issues of fatigue factors.

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
      What is the training camp date for the last chance qualifiers? Will fellows with potential long playoff runs have scheduling issues of fatigue factors.
      All I know is it takes place basically right before the Olympics, so quite a while after the nba playoffs are decided.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
        Murray is the best player at UK this year...leading the team at 18.5/g which is in the top 5 of the conference and he's the highest scorer for his games played to date in the John Callipari era at UK. I mentioned this in another post but almost everyone connected to Canadian Basketball whether its Canada Basketball, Prep Schools, NLBC etc speak of Murray rated higher than Wiggins over the long run and scouts are predicting he could leap into the #2-#3 pick depending on his March Madness performance. Problem with UK peformance so far and their small ball lineup is just cause their prized recruit and potential Raptors pick Skal Labisserie has been a big flop so far and is coming off the bench.

well technically the best team on paper would be all the NBA Canadians which has not happened so far...I hope the roster for Manilla looks along the lines of
        PG: Cory Joseph, Tyler Ennis
        SG: Staukas, Murray
        SF: Wiggins, Bennett, Lyles
        PF: Thompson, Nicholson
        C: Olynk, Powell

Sacre or Heslip rounding off.

I personally love the fact that the National Canada Basketball team has a Canadian coach and based on Canada Basketball's stated goals and his relationship with Nash...Jay Triano is not going anywhere unless Canada does not qualify for the 2020 Olympics.
        Lyles and Bennet are both 4's, look for a guy like Melvin Ejim to crack the roster to add wing depth. My dark horse pick could be the Brooks kid from Oregon and Kevin Pangos, he is having a great rookie year inEurope for a top club.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          ^2020 is way too long to wait. 2020 is our best shot at contending. By 2024 most of these guys will be on the wrong side of 30 and even Wiggins will be old-ish

I agree with others that the mentality for Canada basketball has to change. We're no longer just happy to be there. Jay triano- such a nice guy, great character, buddies with Steve..enough. put up or shut up, and fast. You wanna run with the big dogs? Well expect a goal medal game to have coach k, steph curry and durant across the court. This isnt time for loyalty and nice guys..I think we've all heard where nice guys finish.
          I agree, I would go with the best available coach...Canadian coach is a nice touch but I know a Brad Stevens for eg would be a great fit and probably more succesful to a young team/program like ours, however the reality is we lost our best chance at Rio 2016 in Mexico so even if we don't qualify i'm guessing Triano is sticking around till 2020 unless he resigns.

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          All I know is it takes place basically right before the Olympics, so quite a while after the nba playoffs are decided.
          the tournament is from July 4-10 no idea when the training camp starts but yea its long after the season is done, only concern I see is the NBA draft is on June 23 so if training camp conflicts with that...no chance Murray risks an injury at a FIBA camp before getting drafted and cleared.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
            Lyles and Bennet are both 4's, look for a guy like Melvin Ejim to crack the roster to add wing depth. My dark horse pick could be the Brooks kid from Oregon and Kevin Pangos, he is having a great rookie year inEurope for a top club.
            Ejim provided rebounding and energy last year.

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
              I agree, I would go with the best available coach...Canadian coach is a nice touch but I know a Brad Stevens for eg would be a great fit and probably more succesful to a young team/program like ours, however the reality is we lost our best chance at Rio 2016 in Mexico so even if we don't qualify i'm guessing Triano is sticking around till 2020 unless he resigns.

the tournament is from July 4-10 no idea when the training camp starts but yea its long after the season is done, only concern I see is the NBA draft is on June 23 so if training camp conflicts with that...no chance Murray risks an injury at a FIBA camp before getting drafted and cleared.
              I think Triano is toast if we don't qualify. We have arguably the 2nd most talented roster in the world, certainly top 5, not qualifying would be like the Cavs missing the playoffs last year. Triano had his best shot in Mexico and blew it.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                I know the coach's nationality doesn't matter, but I feel like the only reason Triano is coach is because he's Canadian, some favoritism there, when there shouldn't be. I feel like we could get a Budenholzer, Kerr, or Steven's to coach our team. If you wanna go college, a Calipari, Izzo, or Pitino. Basically, whatever big names are left off the USA coaching squad.
                The only reason he is coach cause Nash loves the guy

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                  The only reason he is coach cause Nash loves the guy
                  I was fine with Nash giving him a shot, but he already blew his best chance at Olympic qualification, so it's do or die time this summer.

Comment

I was fine with Nash giving him a shot, but he already blew his best chance at Olympic qualification, so it's do or die time this summer.
                    Could Nash actually fire Jay ( cause they are friends ) ... He wasn't pleased when Canada Basketball fired him the last time and
                    would he do as Canada Basketball say again if they say fire or will he say he is a package deal with Jay ..

Comment

• so Bennett, Nicholson & Powell are likely not playing in the qualifiers as they are FAs till July 1 at min. and Murray's selection is up in the air till after the draft on June 23...the window between NBA Draft->Free agency and FIBA roster selections->training camp->tournament is reall tight with a lot of variables so Canada better be preparing a roster potentially w/o those 4.

Comment

• Absolutely MASSIVE article from Ian Thomsen at NBA.com. Really great read about the rise of Basketball in Canada.

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/02/11/a....html?rss=true

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                          Could Nash actually fire Jay ( cause they are friends ) ... He wasn't pleased when Canada Basketball fired him the last time and
                          would he do as Canada Basketball say again if they say fire or will he say he is a package deal with Jay ..
                          Just like in business or politics, if you're fucking up and you're friends with all your bosses, they will have a polite conversation with you and ask you to respectfully resign with dignity.

Comment

• Imagine convincing Brad Stevens to coach team Canada...we would be Punking teams left and right
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Imagine convincing Brad Stevens to coach team Canada...we would be Punking teams left and right
                              I think it's entirely doable. Freaking Puerto Rico got Pitino to coach them. Makes me even more pissed we have a shitty coach who has had success approximately nowhere ever.

Comment

I think it's entirely doable. Freaking Puerto Rico got Pitino to coach them. Makes me even more pissed we have a shitty coach who has had success approximately nowhere ever.
                                Steve Nash has to realize that the only success Jay ever had as a coach was with him as his PG and Steve made a lot of people look good .. The Suns coach again only had success with Steve as his PG and now he isn't coaching in the league..

Jay knows his hoops but assistant is best suited for him

Comment

Working...
                                X