Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guyroch wrote: View Post
    Steve Nash has to realize that the only success Jay ever had as a coach was with him as his PG and Steve made a lot of people look good .. The Suns coach again only had success with Steve as his PG and now he isn't coaching in the league..

Jay knows his hoops but assistant is best suited for him
    But does Nash know enough about basketball to realize what you do?
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Comment

• Jordan Bachynski named a DLeague AllStar .. that's pretty cool!

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          Jordan Bachynski named a DLeague AllStar .. that's pretty cool!
          right on jordon

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
            Could Nash actually fire Jay ( cause they are friends ) ... He wasn't pleased when Canada Basketball fired him the last time and
            would he do as Canada Basketball say again if they say fire or will he say he is a package deal with Jay ..
            The last time Jay got fired, Basketball Canada took a massive step back and hired Leo. If they fire him and make a significant upgrade, I don't see why not. I do, however, hope that they keep Jay in the program, even if it's not as the head coach. The guy knows his stuff. I just don't think making in game adjustments is a strong skill of his.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              The last time Jay got fired, Basketball Canada took a massive step back and hired Leo. If they fire him and make a significant upgrade, I don't see why not. I do, however, hope that they keep Jay in the program, even if it's not as the head coach. The guy knows his stuff. I just don't think making in game adjustments is a strong skill of his.
              Triano should be an assistant. He isn't good enough to be a head coach
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• While you don't necessarily need a Canadian as coach, I'd like to see a move to Smart or Rana as HC. (Both those guys are taking sabbaticals from the university jobs this year... maybe taking some time off to study up on the international game more?)

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                  While you don't necessarily need a Canadian as coach, I'd like to see a move to Smart or Rana as HC. (Both those guys are taking sabbaticals from the university jobs this year... maybe taking some time off to study up on the international game more?)
                  Ya I think we've got enough capable minds here in Canada to take over the job for sure. I also think the program would be to 'proud' to hire a Foreign Coach. Unlike a program like Puero Rico who really have no business being competitive in International Competition.

Comment

Ya I think we've got enough capable minds here in Canada to take over the job for sure. I also think the program would be to 'proud' to hire a Foreign Coach. Unlike a program like Puero Rico who really have no business being competitive in International Competition.
                    Meh. I think that kind of attitude is stubborn and misguided. It's ridiculous to not hire guys from other countries out of pride, since many of those other countries have had better development programs (for players and coaches) for decades. It not only can be better coaching than they'd get from a Canuck, but could also help improve Canadian coaches by pulling better coaching minds in from the outside.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Meh. I think that kind of attitude is stubborn and misguided. It's ridiculous to not hire guys from other countries out of pride, since many of those other countries have had better development programs (for players and coaches) for decades. It not only can be better coaching than they'd get from a Canuck, but could also help improve Canadian coaches by pulling better coaching minds in from the outside.
                      And I don't necessarily disagree. But I do also think there are some great basketball minds here in Canada that don't get nearly the kudos they should.

I think if we looked closer at guys like David Smart and Greg Francis, or Roy Rana like octothorp mentioned, OR even look for a young guy like Kyle Julius, and put them through the FIBA seminars, hire some good foreign assistant coaches, and really worked to development their Coaching Experience I think we could definitely have a successful Canadian (not named Triano or Rautins) calling the shots.
                      Last edited by Joey; Mon Feb 15, 2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

And I don't necessarily disagree. But I do also think there are some great basketball minds here in Canada that don't get nearly the kudos they should.

I think if we looked closer at guys like David Smart and Greg Francis, or Roy Rana like octothorp mentioned, OR even look for a young guy like Kyle Julius, and put them through the FIBA seminars, hire some good foreign assistant coaches, and really worked to development their Coaching Experience I think we could definitely have a successful Canadian (not named Triano or Rautins) calling the shots.
                        Start developing those guys now, and maybe in 2024 Olympics they're ready to take over. I want a big name NBA or College coach to lead the program.

Comment

• I find it odd that in the National game the head coach doesn't have to be from the same country. A coach is part of the team, so should come from that country as well. But they do that in other sports (gymnast coaches are typically European for example).

I'm not a fan of Triano at all.. doesn't seem like his guys are well prepared when the pressure is really on. Brad Stevens would be an awesome hire - if he was available.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I find it odd that in the National game the head coach doesn't have to be from the same country. A coach is part of the team, so should come from that country as well. But they do that in other sports (gymnast coaches are typically European for example).

I'm not a fan of Triano at all.. doesn't seem like his guys are well prepared when the pressure is really on. Brad Stevens would be an awesome hire - if he was available.
                            It's probably that way to bring more parity to the countries, and to give more opportunities for foreign coaches to ply their trade. How bad would it suck to be the 3rd best gymnastics coach in the world, but unable to get a job because the best gymnastics coach in the world is also from your country. It'd be pretty impossible for countries to start up a new athletic program if they didn't have any qualified coaches in their country (Cool Runnings!).

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              Start developing those guys now, and maybe in 2024 Olympics they're ready to take over. I want a big name NBA or College coach to lead the program.
                              Joey wrote: View Post

why not the best of both worlds....We should be able to support developing coaches just like developing players and in the international game I think it's good to have the national program coach from the same country. One of names I thought of is a Canadian in the Celtics system itself: Scott Morrison- the head coach of both the Maine Redclaws (Celtics d-league) & the Celtics summer league team. He's shortlisted to join Brad Stevens staff next season...That is a candidate to develop for 2024.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...laws/77433676/
                              http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...n-nba-circles/

Comment

• I played against that guy in uni...he was a gunner...man I'm old.
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                                X