Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    He could be on Team Canada some day. I don't think he's good enough to make Team Canada, but I'm sure we could get him citizenship to play for us ala Samuel Dalembert.
    He has and continues to state that he feels Australian, loves Australia, and will do whatever it takes to keep playing for Australia. Plus he's already played for Australia. Plus when he plays in the hoop summit his jersey says Australia. Plus he lived way longer in Australia.

You never know, but signs seem to be pointing down under
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
      He has and continues to state that he feels Australian, loves Australia, and will do whatever it takes to keep playing for Australia. Plus he's already played for Australia. Plus when he plays in the hoop summit his jersey says Australia. Plus he lived way longer in Australia.

also, is he even good?

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
        also, is he even good?
        Imagine what Magic Johnson was like at 17-18 years old (Thon is 19), but at 7 feet
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• Thon Maker's representing Australia

Comment

I don't think he'd ever even make Team Canada if he wanted to, we have plenty of big men much better than Thon. The hype is all BS with him, he's just tall and that's it. Probably why he wants to avoid college, so no one sees that the emperor has no clothes.

Comment

I don't think he'd ever even make Team Canada if he wanted to, we have plenty of big men much better than Thon. The hype is all BS with him, he's just tall and that's it. Probably why he wants to avoid college, so no one sees that the emperor has no clothes.
              Well he's pretty raw right now. But his game, what he already has of it, at least, is incredible. He can shoot, pass, run an offense, good weak side and 1on1 defense, he's the prototypical big man needed in today's game. His hype isn't totally hot air, but a lot comes f m the fact that he is so raw yet shows flashes of skills that are elusive to big men and hard to teach at this level

Comment

Well he's pretty raw right now. But his game, what he already has of it, at least, is incredible. He can shoot, pass, run an offense, good weak side and 1on1 defense, he's the prototypical big man needed in today's game. His hype isn't totally hot air, but a lot comes f m the fact that he is so raw yet shows flashes of skills that are elusive to big men and hard to teach at this level
                He's looked like shit in every showcase he's played in. Where has his play impressed you? Tall, that's it.

Comment

He's looked like shit in every showcase he's played in. Where has his play impressed you? Tall, that's it.
                  Tall, can shoot, has ok defensive instincts, can pass relatively well. Would he benefit from some experience at higher levels? Certainly.
                  Is he wrong to cash in on his hype and potential while he still can? No way.

Btw: I'm not saying this guys a top talent. Just saying, in the right situation, he can be molded into something never before seen in the NBA.

Comment

Tall, can shoot, has ok defensive instincts, can pass relatively well. Would he benefit from some experience at higher levels? Certainly.
                    Is he wrong to cash in on his hype and potential while he still can? No way.

Btw: I'm not saying this guys a top talent. Just saying, in the right situation, he can be molded into something never before seen in the NBA.
                    No way man. He's looked like crap against other high schoolers, yet you think he'll be some transcendent talent? Every time he plays against good talent he doesn't look good.

Comment

No way man. He's looked like crap against other high schoolers, yet you think he'll be some transcendent talent? Every time he plays against good talent he doesn't look good.
                      Whoa, I never said he'd be a transcendent talent. Just something we've never seen in the NBA. Not necessarily meaning the best player ever in the whole world. But like a 7 footer who can stroke it from deep, run your offense, and be a rim protector... Where else has that been seen? (Honest question, I may have missed out on some older players)

Comment

Whoa, I never said he'd be a transcendent talent. Just something we've never seen in the NBA. Not necessarily meaning the best player ever in the whole world. But like a 7 footer who can stroke it from deep, run your offense, and be a rim protector... Where else has that been seen? (Honest question, I may have missed out on some older players)
                        Because he can't do any of that. He doesn't stroke it from deep, he can't run an offense, and he's not a rim protector. He is 7 feet, I give him that.

Draftexpress has a great breakdown of Thon published yesterday. They list his strengths as Physical Tools (tall, good not great athlete, poor length relative to height, small hands, pencil thin legs, narrow frame), Motor (he runs the floor), and capable shooter (not a skilled shooter, but can hit a wide open shot sometimes).

Weaknesses include bobbling easy passes, poor feel for the game on both ends, struggles to make plays inside the arc and not a consistent perimeter threat. Poor shooting mechanics, poor touch. Slow to react on defense, average awareness, average rebounder due to lack of length and small hands.

He left a bad impression at the Basketball Without Borders camp, he left a bad impression at the Nike Hoops Summit. This quote from draftexpress says it all: "Long-term he is likely better suited for a role as an energy-giving big man rather than the superstar he was being hyped as. May need a few years in college to continue to improve his skill-level and frame."

Comment

Because he can't do any of that. He doesn't stroke it from deep, he can't run an offense, and he's not a rim protector. He is 7 feet, I give him that.

Draftexpress has a great breakdown of Thon published yesterday. They list his strengths as Physical Tools (tall, good not great athlete, poor length relative to height, small hands, pencil thin legs, narrow frame), Motor (he runs the floor), and capable shooter (not a skilled shooter, but can hit a wide open shot sometimes).

Weaknesses include bobbling easy passes, poor feel for the game on both ends, struggles to make plays inside the arc and not a consistent perimeter threat. Poor shooting mechanics, poor touch. Slow to react on defense, average awareness, average rebounder due to lack of length and small hands.

He left a bad impression at the Basketball Without Borders camp, he left a bad impression at the Nike Hoops Summit. This quote from draftexpress says it all: "Long-term he is likely better suited for a role as an energy-giving big man rather than the superstar he was being hyped as. May need a few years in college to continue to improve his skill-level and frame."
                          Again, not saying he's transcendent by any means. And would without a doubt benefit from 1-2 (maybe 4) years of college. But he's definitely shown flashes of ability to do all those things I mentioned, and with more development, he could become consistent in those categories. He's basically Bruno at this stage, except he shows a bit more knowledge of the game.

Comment

Again, not saying he's transcendent by any means. And would without a doubt benefit from 1-2 (maybe 4) years of college. But he's definitely shown flashes of ability to do all those things I mentioned, and with more development, he could become consistent in those categories. He's basically Bruno at this stage, except he shows a bit more knowledge of the game.
                            Bruno has NBA skills in 3PT shooting, rebounding, and shot blocking. Thon doesn't show any NBA skills yet.

Comment

Bruno has NBA skills in 3PT shooting, rebounding, and shot blocking. Thon doesn't show any NBA skills yet.
                              Bruno has also been in the league for 2 years. When he came in all he really had going for him was his physical tools too.

I don't disagree with you. But whereas I am saying "hes not good now, but has shown potential which can be improved" it seems like you're just saying "he's not good."

Comment

Bruno has also been in the league for 2 years. When he came in all he really had going for him was his physical tools too.

I don't disagree with you. But whereas I am saying "hes not good now, but has shown potential which can be improved" it seems like you're just saying "he's not good."
                                I don't think he'll ever pan out. Short wing span relative to height, tiny hands, rail thin, narrow frame, poor jump shot, poor mechanics, poor feel for the game. Bruno had a lot more upside in my eyes with the freakish wingspan and excellent mechanics. Thon's arms and hands aren't going to start growing all of a sudden, and he's not going to beef out with that frame, so short of becoming a sniper from deep I don't think he sticks in the league. I think he's the classic 7 footer doing great against high school kids where the opposing center is often just over 6' tall.

Comment

Working...
                                X