Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    I don't think he'll ever pan out. Short wing span relative to height, tiny hands, rail thin, narrow frame, poor jump shot, poor mechanics, poor feel for the game. Bruno had a lot more upside in my eyes with the freakish wingspan and excellent mechanics. Thon's arms and hands aren't going to start growing all of a sudden, and he's not going to beef out with that frame, so short of becoming a sniper from deep I don't think he sticks in the league. I think he's the classic 7 footer doing great against high school kids where the opposing center is often just over 6' tall.
    Pretty crazy. This guy was being hyped as the next Kevin Garnett when he first came to Canada.
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      He could be on Team Canada some day. I don't think he's good enough to make Team Canada, but I'm sure we could get him citizenship to play for us ala Samuel Dalembert.
      I be mighty pissed if he gets to play for Canada and the Red Rocket had to wait for years ( don't even know if it ever happened ) and Red Rocket even had a Canadian bride ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
        I be mighty pissed if he gets to play for Canada and the Red Rocket had to wait for years ( don't even know if it ever happened ) and Red Rocket even had a Canadian bride ..
        Lack of continuous residency was the reason Bonner never got citizenship. You need to be actually living in Canada for 4 out of 6 years, and Bonner wasn't on the Raptors long enough, and then just living in Canada in the offseason wasn't enough either.

If Thon Maker did get drafted by the Raptors, he could probably get citizenship in a few years. I don't see why he'd be all that interested in playing for team Canada vs. Australia though (and honestly, I think he should play for them and not us, because they put the work into him). The FIBA process for getting reclassified from one nationality to another is complex too, and he might be hard-pressed to actually get playing time on Team Canada.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
          Lack of continuous residency was the reason Bonner never got citizenship. You need to be actually living in Canada for 4 out of 6 years, and Bonner wasn't on the Raptors long enough, and then just living in Canada in the offseason wasn't enough either.

I understand your reasoning but his occupation didn't allow him too should have been a factor ... His home was Toronto but job caused him to travel .. The fact he is married to a Canadian and his grandfather was Canadian ...

It is amazing how far Canadian Basketball has come in such a short time ... It wasn't that long ago that our Canadian hopes were
          often clinging on two guys named Samual and Red Rocket ..

Comment

• Back on topic.

Stefan Jankovic has declared for NBA draft http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-and-reaction

6'11" shooter who had a nice redshirt junior year at Hawaii. He is very mobile for his height and could be a sleeper at workouts.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
              Back on topic.

Stefan Jankovic has declared for NBA draft http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-and-reaction

6'11" shooter who had a nice redshirt junior year at Hawaii. He is very mobile for his height and could be a sleeper at workouts.
              Just learning about this guy ... very interesting prospect. Big West Player of the Year, nice.

However, this from his Wikipedia:
              Janković considers himself to be Serbian, the country he was born in. Although he was brought up in Mississauga, Ontario, he has no national pride for the country of Canada. As of 2013, Janković was not familiar with the national anthem of Canada, nor did he consider joining the Canada national basketball team.
              Lame. They can keep him.

Comment

• [QUOTE=WJF;614261]Back on topic.

Stefan Jankovic has declared for NBA draft [url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2629008

Is he Canadian ? I have never heard of him ..

Comment

• [QUOTE=guyroch;614304]
                  WJF wrote: View Post
                  Back on topic.

Stefan Jankovic has declared for NBA draft [url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2629008

Is he Canadian ? I have never heard of him ..
                  ore so than Thon MAker
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    Just learning about this guy ... very interesting prospect. Big West Player of the Year, nice.

However, this from his Wikipedia:

Lame. They can keep him.
                    It is Wikipedia....grain of salt. My Daughter is 5 and knows the anthem just from listening to it. I am sure we all can sing most of the USA anthem as well..
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Andrew Wiggins hsd almost finish his second full year ... Does anyone have a read on him ? Is his upside Rudy Gay ie a good scorer on bad teams or can he be closer then Durant a scorer on any occasion .. Although to put it into perspective ... Durant second year he lead his team to 23-59 ...

Comment

Andrew Wiggins hsd almost finish his second full year ... Does anyone have a read on him ? Is his upside Rudy Gay ie a good scorer on bad teams or can he be closer then Durant a scorer on any occasion .. Although to put it into perspective ... Durant second year he lead his team to 23-59 ...
                        He is more like Paul George than Durant. PG has better handles though. Wiggins has an awkwardness in his game. But I guess he will improve with more time.

Comment

Andrew Wiggins hsd almost finish his second full year ... Does anyone have a read on him ? Is his upside Rudy Gay ie a good scorer on bad teams or can he be closer then Durant a scorer on any occasion .. Although to put it into perspective ... Durant second year he lead his team to 23-59 ...
                          I've watched a few T'Wolves games, including last night and their previous game against GS (a close loss), and I have a hard time getting a read on Wiggins. I watch him and I can't help but feel disappointed, then you see his stats and he's quietly put up a solid game (last night: 32 points on 11/19 & 2/3 shooting, 8/9 from the line, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 steals).

Just like when he was at Kansas, he doesn't seem to demand the ball in crunch time and doesn't appear to have that killer instinct. I think that's just his personality; quiet, unassuming, good teammate, effortless scorer. Plus he's still very young, only in his second season, and he just seems like a nice kid. I could see his demeanor and approach changing over time, as he gains NBA experience and confidence in his own game.

I think Wiggins would be an amazing 2nd option, much like Pippen was to Jordan. Jordan was the leader (with words and through actions) with the killer mentality, while Pippen was the quiet, effective, well-rounded sidekick.

If Minnesota can add another top 3-5 pick to their young core (Wiggins, KAT, etc...), they could be scary good in a couple seasons.

Comment

• They cannot bring back Sam Mitchell though.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Looks like Xavier Rathan-Mayes has put his name in to the draft, I think this would be more of a test the water thing.
                              http://www.tomahawknation.com/2016/4...-florida-state
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                                Looks like Xavier Rathan-Mayes has put his name in to the draft, I think this would be more of a test the water thing.
                                http://www.tomahawknation.com/2016/4...-florida-state
                                With the new rules players are allowed to put their name in and return to school if they think that is better for them (must withdraw well before the draft itself of course) so we'll see a lot more guys putting their hats in the ring for the interview and workout process.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X