No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what is our roster looking like. Is Tristan in?? Is Olynk back from injury? Additionally, will Murray be eligible for the qualifier and will he play in the olympics? I have a feeling Murray won't be available for either but we will find out. Nik Stauskas as backup PG again.

Comment

• I don't expect that the team headed for the Philippines will have anything close to the 9 NBA players that the National team had in Mexico. Olynyk is out. Murray has Summer league obligations. The NBA free agents Nicholson, Sacre, Powell will have to pay their own insurance or get a sponsor to pony up. Stauskas and Bennett baled on the team for the third place game in Mexico. Will they be asked or want to come back? Hopefully Trey Lyles and Tyler Ennis are on board.

Andrew Wiggins is non committal.

Scrubb was the back up point guard before. Heslip is a valuable guy and Triano's nephew. Perhaps some D Leaguers like Birch and Kabongo (there's a name that used to get a lot of run on this forum) or one of the Bachynskis will be on the roster.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
        I don't expect that the team headed for the Philippines will have anything close to the 9 NBA players that the National team had in Mexico. Olynyk is out. Murray has Summer league obligations. The NBA free agents Nicholson, Sacre, Powell will have to pay their own insurance or get a sponsor to pony up. Stauskas and Bennett baled on the team for the third place game in Mexico. Will they be asked or want to come back? Hopefully Trey Lyles and Tyler Ennis are on board.

Andrew Wiggins is non committal.

Scrubb was the back up point guard before. Heslip is a valuable guy and Triano's nephew. Perhaps some D Leaguers like Birch and Kabongo (there's a name that used to get a lot of run on this forum) or one of the Bachynskis will be on the roster.
        Tbh. I don't understand how these guys can be non committal or how some guys don't want to play for the national team

Representing your country at the olympics is one of the most prestige and gratifying things someone can do in their lives. I just don't understand how some basketball players don't feel the same way
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
          Tbh. I don't understand how these guys can be non committal or how some guys don't want to play for the national team

Representing your country at the olympics is one of the most prestige and gratifying things someone can do in their lives. I just don't understand how some basketball players don't feel the same way
          cause its a business and lively hood at the end of the day and these guys have to make smart decisions...Nicholson, Sacre, Powell, Bennett all playing without insurance and the security of a contract as borderline players risk their NBA future if they sustain an injury...Murray is a rookie who has no leverage with whatever team drafts him and has to put NBA obligations ahead of FIBA and Thompson is in a Finals overlap with training camp and exhibition games that start in 2 days. I mentioned in an earlier post its best to prepare without those guys in mind. However if Joseph, Ennis, Staukas, Lyles and most importantly Wiggins commit...we're competitive for the qualifiers and come RIO all the other guys situations should be sorted out.

Comment

• Let's boycott 2016 Olympics. #zika

Comment

because it's not what they get paid for. And it doesn't have the same cache as something like the Fifa world cup where guys pour their hearts into it.

Honestly, if i were a young player who hadn't signed his big contract yet i'd be pretty wary as well. it's not the same as the USA guys who can pretty much expect to play a light role with limited minutes.

Comment

• Two things that have soured international basketball for me:

1. Losing to Venezuela in the FIBA Americas. It happened but I'm still trying to fathom what an utter disaster it was Canada Basketball.

2. FIBA has changed the qualifying rules for future Olympics and World Cups to home and home matches that occur for the most part during the NBA season.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                  Two things that have soured international basketball for me:

1. Losing to Venezuela in the FIBA Americas. It happened but I'm still trying to fathom what an utter disaster it was Canada Basketball.

2. FIBA has changed the qualifying rules for future Olympics and World Cups to home and home matches that occur for the most part during the NBA season.
                  Fuck the FIBA man.. They're trying to look so relevant, so powerful but we all know they suck. They are not FIFA. The money is different. It's time for a major change.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                    Fuck the FIBA man.. They're trying to look so relevant, so powerful but we all know they suck. They are not FIFA. The money is different. It's time for a major change.
                    FIBA is a joke since nobody has a chance against USA. All these teams can have the confidence they want but if USA wants to win they will win. There's no competition lol. I'm not angry about it, it's just a reality.
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      because it's not what they get paid for. And it doesn't have the same cache as something like the Fifa world cup where guys pour their hearts into it.

Honestly, if i were a young player who hadn't signed his big contract yet i'd be pretty wary as well. it's not the same as the USA guys who can pretty much expect to play a light role with limited minutes.
                      Hockey guys don't get paid either and 99% of them accept and would do anything to play for their country.

It's kinda weird how it's trending lately for north American nba players, a lot of Americans are backing out too.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Hockey guys don't get paid either and 99% of them accept and would do anything to play for their country.

It's kinda weird how it's trending lately for north American nba players, a lot of Americans are backing out too.
                        i wouldn't go to brazil at this time either.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

When your making your point ... Are you talking about the Olympics or World Championships ? Cause to get a " A " type player to go to the World's in hockey is almost impossible ... Sid played once in the World's in 2006 and 10 years later he said yes again ( cause I assume it was in T.O ) ..

Comment

• [QUOTE=stretch;657367]Two things that have soured international basketball for me:

/QUOTE]

Everytime I think about it I get pissed ,,,

Comment

I wonder if Wiggins is a bit pissed for how Jay played him against Venezuela

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                                When your making your point ... Are you talking about the Olympics or World Championships ? Cause to get a " A " type player to go to the World's in hockey is almost impossible ... Sid played once in the World's in 2006 and 10 years later he said yes again ( cause I assume it was in T.O ) ..
                                I'm talking about the Olympics which is what they are playing this summer in basketall
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X