Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Has anybody seen a sport column on this yet? An explanation on wiggins Lyles and Stauskas? These guys should have to answer for this
    Wiggins released a quote suggesting he was focusing on preparing for next season with the Wolves looking to start winning and with Thibs in as the new coach. Stauskas said it was to prep for next year as well, which is hilarious because it's Philly. No idea on Lyles.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• well similar to the raptors...here's to counting on the Canada backcourt to carry us to RIO and i'm gonna go on a limb and optimistically call our boy Sim Bhullar the x-factor, breakout player for Canada. Wiggins as the current "face" of Canada Basketball set such a bad example skipping on this & the olympics...his involvement would have definitely swayed Staukas & Lyles decision.

Comment

• http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/r...prelim-roster/

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Wiggins released a quote suggesting he was focusing on preparing for next season with the Wolves looking to start winning and with Thibs in as the new coach. Stauskas said it was to prep for next year as well, which is hilarious because it's Philly. No idea on Lyles.
          I don't get that explanation for either one of them, there's ALWAYS a next season..so are they never gonna play? I don't really care about stauskas he basically sucks at all forms of basketball since leaving Michigan. Wiggins is a huge let down though, wtf changed from last summer to this summer?

It's happening for a lot of team usa too, although they're so deep they could send their c team and be the favorite.

Back in the 90s guys would give their first born child to be a part of the dream team. It's still the same in soccer, hockey...Basketball players just seem so self absorbed now, money money money.

I'm wishing wiggins would face a pretty good backlash for this, but it barely makes a ripple in Canadian sports news. You have to Google it and scroll down to even see anything on it. I didn't have high hopes for a medal maybe a bronze, but I really thought we were building an Underdog that could challenge usa in 2020. Now who knows if anybody gives a shit. Will Murray invest in the program now after the example wiggins has set? Just don't get how things changed so rapidly in led then a year. I was really really excited to cheer for these guys in the next few Olympics...
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Sour grapes talking here.....

Wiggins will be missed, but I have to say in terms of NBA wing players he leaves a lot to be desired. Inefficient scorer (44% and 31% 2pt/3pt shooting percentages), not much of a rebounder, passer, ball handler. Even his defense is is suspect (effort???) and the kicker is that his sophomore stats were not much of a bump from his rookie year stats.

Comment

• Its to bad so much of the up and coming talent are not going to participate.
              Maybe there is the residual effects of the Paul George injury that has the GM's of teams whispering in players ears or maybe its a bit of the Zika virus fear (even though the qualifier is in what Manilla ?) or maybe you take them at face value and they say they want to focus on their career/free agency etc....You do get that choice to make.
              In any event they're not going.... One thing CB could do, if by good fortune we make the Olympics, is that the guys who declined to help the qualification process this year don't get a shot at playing in the 2020 games in Tokyo.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Jun 10, 2016, 08:26 PM.
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

• That troll Steve Simmons will write a critical article on it.

This sucks but I get it. It's a long ass season. Part of me would like to see Corey Jo stay home and shoot 1000 three pointers a day.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  Its to bad so much of the up and coming talent are not going to participate.
                  Maybe there is the residual effects of the Paul George injury has the GM's of teams whispering in players ears... maybe its a bit of the Zika virus fear (even though the qualifier is in what Manilla ?) or maybe you take them at face value and they say they want to focus on their career/free agency etc....
                  In any event they're not going.... One thing CB could do, if by good fortune we make the Olympics, is that the guys who declined to help the qualification process this year don't get a shot at playing in the 2020 games in Toyko.
                  Part of me wishes they could/would do that. The other part of me is too chicken shit to not accept a prime wiggins with open arms. Really he's the only difference maker at the momental. Lyles is getting a lot better but stauskas is replacement level. What scares me is what are the unknowns thinking (if they had the option) the Olynyks Murrays Thompson etc..if they had every opportunity to go like wiggins has, would they be saying yes or no this summer? 2020? Forever?

I just find this whole "preparing for the season" thing bogus and weak as hell. Canada basketball is asking for like 3 weeks of your time, wiggins summer is like 5 months not including camp. I'm sure you're gonna train day in day out for 5 months Andy. If any of these guys are gonna act like they're not going on a vacation someplace warm with an abundance of food and liquor this summer theyre lying. And It's not like they're asking you to come do a hot dog eating tournament, this is great experience and practice too.

Frustrating.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Canada Basketball

The lack of national pride in these guys is disgusting.

If I had the chance to represent Canada in anything, let alone the OLYMPICS, I would do it regardless of the backlash. Smh.

Just look at guys like scola, Manu Parker. These guys play every year, and they're all 100 years old. But they still give it their all and fight with their repsetive teams to play in fiba. I have immense respect for Corey Joseph tho. He had a long playoff run and is still invested in the program, no excuse for Wiggins lyles and stauskas.

Even jv took MAJOR pay cut and signed his extension during the season so he wouldn't be a free agent now, just so he could play for his national team (he woulda been getting max offers this offseason). Smh

I'm utterly dissappinted at their lack of pride for the nation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by yabadabayolo; Sat Jun 11, 2016, 02:37 AM.
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                      The lack of national pride in these guys is disgusting.

If I had the chance to represent Canada in anything, let alone the OLYMPICS, I would do it regardless of the backlash. Smh.

Just look at guys like scola, Manu Parker. These guys play every year, and they're all 100 years old. But they still give it their all and fight with their repsetive teams to play in fiba. I have immense respect for Corey Joseph tho. He had a long playoff run and is still invested in the program, no excuse for Wiggins lyles and stauskas.

Even jv took MAJOR pay cut and signed his extension during the season so he wouldn't be a free agent now, just so he could play for his national team (he woulda been getting max offers this offseason). Smh

I'm utterly dissappinted at their lack of pride for the nation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I really can't disagree, because I would do the same as you. This is the time Team Canada should be coming into their own, and all these guys are choosing to sit.

Yes, they all have their own reasons and choices, but they have the opportunity to be trendsetters and legends in this country.

I believe Steve Nash declining all those years in his prime has something to do with it. They see he can do it, so why not them?

Again, they're free to do what they want, but it's pretty fuckin shitty when we an't get our best to suit up. Most of the Americans would kill for the opportunity to have a chance at their National team.

Comment

• USA basketball has had some notable withdrawals from the so called Dream Team for Rio: Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Aldridge, Chris Paul, Anthony Davis, John Wall so far.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                          USA basketball has had some notable withdrawals from the so called Dream Team for Rio: Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Aldridge, Chris Paul, Anthony Davis, John Wall so far.
                          damn...at this point i'm wondering if this Zika virus, the new "super bacteria" that was found on brazils beaches, the riots/violence in Rio about the Olympics and all the other shit going on there right now has caused these guys to skip out..cause been hearing about athletes from other sports considering pulling out or seeking medical advice before committing.

Comment

• However, still not an excuse for Wiggins, Staukas & Lyles to skip out on Manilla to put us in a position to make that decision for RIO, the thinking behind "I wanna focus on off-season training" is flawed...Wiggins being the #1 option and go to star for team Canada winning a tournament would help his case with Thibs more than any gym sessions, Staukas lighting it up helps his case with Colangelo to be a key piece of Philly's future, Lyles being a key part of the system would help his case for playing time & role in Utah...so frustrating having this young players with still so much to prove in the league not take full advantage and especially not have Canadian pride when they preached that as part of the "Canadian movement"
                            Last edited by RepTdot; Sat Jun 11, 2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
                              damn...at this point i'm wondering if this Zika virus, the new "super bacteria" that was found on brazils beaches, the riots/violence in Rio about the Olympics and all the other shit going on there right now has caused these guys to skip out..cause been hearing about athletes from other sports considering pulling out or seeking medical advice before committing.
                              I was just going to point out the same thing. I think it had people spooked. Would be interesting to see who shows up for the olympics if they actually make it

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
                                Honestly I don't even blame them. I think a lot of our guys (esp. Stauskas and Wiggins) would have played if the games were in a place much more safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X