Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    Lithuania has roughly 1/10th of the population of Canada.

On another note, Venezuela is pulling a real stinker against Serbia tonight. Down 21 at the half. Saric and Hezonja are not on the Serbian roster. Jokic is the only NBAer.
    Lithuania Serbia Venezuela wow. Three power houses that actually qualified for the Olympics. Our failure to even qualify is embarrassing.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
      I just think it's too easy to let the non-injured Canadian NBA players off the hook...I love the fact that Tristan Thompson showed up to player after the NBA finals.
      Tristan and Corey had built-in reasons to stay home after going deep into the playoffs. Stauskas and Wiggins don't. Both were healthy and fresh. Any player can hide behind, "Oh, well I have to prepare for the upcoming season". I just thought after crapping the bed against Venezuela that they would be raring to prove everyone that ethered them afterward wrong. Of course, Canada Basketball would never call them out for it, nor will the media, especially when it comes to Wiggins.

Comment

• Honestly even without Wiggins and Stauskus (lol) I don't know why the men's team can't make the Olympics. Smaller countries are there. Countries with fewer NBA players are there. They've been working on improving the program's consistency for a few years now. They have NBA calibre coaching. The women can make it. What gives?
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Lithuania Serbia Venezuela wow. Three power houses that actually qualified for the Olympics. Our failure to even qualify is embarrassing.
          You call Venezuela a power house?

Comment

I don't know where you are going with this. Serbia and Lithuania have been top basketball countries for decades. Venezuela I am actually upset got in instead of us...
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I just think it's too easy to let the non-injured Canadian NBA players off the hook...I love the fact that Tristan Thompson showed up to player after the NBA finals.
              But last year when they had a real chance to make the Olympics, didn't come because he held out all summer long to get the biggest contract possible. Even if everyone shows up this competition for that last spot was much tougher than last year.

They had a pretty full turn out for the original qualifier, crapped the bed. What are you going to do?
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                Lithuania has roughly 1/10th of the population of Canada.

On another note, Venezuela is pulling a real stinker against Serbia tonight. Down 21 at the half. Saric and Hezonja are not on the Serbian roster. Jokic is the only NBAer.
                My error. Saric and Hezonja are actually Croatian and are playing in Rio.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Honestly even without Wiggins and Stauskus (lol) I don't know why the men's team can't make the Olympics. Smaller countries are there. Countries with fewer NBA players are there. They've been working on improving the program's consistency for a few years now. They have NBA calibre coaching. The women can make it. What gives?
                  I think, as far as the game vs. Venezuela, shit just happens. USA lost to Puerto Rico a couple times in early 2000s.

It's also a young team, it should get much better.

As for comparison vs. countries like France or some other countries from Europe, or Australia, I think many countries just have deeper traditions and more depth.

I wouldn't underrate Euroleague players and such, there are many solid veteran players who make half a mil, a mil, two mils in Europe, tax free, and there's little reason for them to go to the NBA. Good players. Plus they are better used to FIBA rules than Canadians.

Notice how there are very few Euro players who make minimum salary in the NBA, or play on 10 day contracts or part season contracts, or in D-league waiting for a call. That's not because Europe can't produce such lower end NBA players, they just mostly play in Europe.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                    I think, as far as the game vs. Venezuela, shit just happens. USA lost to Puerto Rico a couple times in early 2000s.

As for comparison vs. countries like France or some other countries from Europe, or Australia, I think many countries just have deeper traditions and more depth.

I wouldn't underrate Euroleague players and such, there are many solid veteran players who make half a mil, a mil, two mils in Europe, tax free, and there's little reason for them to go to the NBA. Good players. Plus they are better used to FIBA rules than Canadians.

Notice how there are very few Euro players who make minimum salary in the NBA, or play on 10 day contracts or part season contracts, or in D-league waiting for a call. That's not because Europe can't produce such lower end NBA players, they just mostly play in Europe.
                    These guys who choked against Venezuela should have been in Manila this year. I'm looking at you, Wiggins.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post

Not only do they have deeper traditions, when the stars or NBA players don't compete for the national team, the domestic media tears them apart for it, regardless of who it is. Saying no to the national team is difficult for them because of how much it means to their country. Its just not the same here yet with basketball.

Comment

• So far Fiba america's other then U.S not doing well

Comment

• Hey guys, where can I watch the Olympic basketball best online?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                            Hey guys, where can I watch the Olympic basketball best online?
                            http://olympics.cbc.ca/online-listing/

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              I don't know where you are going with this. Serbia and Lithuania have been top basketball countries for decades. Venezuela I am actually upset got in instead of us...
                              Dan I really hope you comment on the failure of Wiggins and Staukas to play in qualifiers and Olympics --if had qualified , in your next column. Media writers need to call these guys out. Coddling by media has got to end. Re my power house comment I was being sarcastic. As a country now producing higher number of NBA caliber players we as basketball fans and as citizens of Canada need to instil in them the importance of representing your country.

Comment

• Wiggins excuse was the lamest "focus on the upcoming season" the best focus and preparation will be against real and tough competition, nothing else comes close in the off season then this. You would think Wiggins would want to show his coach Thibs what could he do against him in the Olympics if Canada we're to qualify and reach the Olympics. Wiggins critics always bring out that he doesn't always has a "competitive nature" or "he lacks focus" so instead of proving the naysayers wrong he does the exact thing they expected.

I fully expect to hear stories coming out of Minnesota this season that Wiggins will be in the dog house a few times with coach Thibs cause he doesn't put up with bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X