Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    Honestly even without Wiggins and Stauskus (lol) I don't know why the men's team can't make the Olympics. Smaller countries are there. Countries with fewer NBA players are there. They've been working on improving the program's consistency for a few years now. They have NBA calibre coaching. The women can make it. What gives?
    I think many people look at this the wrong way. Our loss in international competition is experience and to some degree talent. We have had many nba players at last years america's tournament but the player's with the world class talent physically such as AW really have not won at the highest level (college and nba for andrew) I love cory but how much did he actually play for the spurs during there playoff runs. He did seem to be one of the least impacted player's when the pressure comes though in international.A Lot of our issues is that almost everone does need more seasoning and there is room for improvement for almost all of our players

Comment

• Croatia just beat Spain. This group is fire for basketball fans

Last second block by Saric tho..

Last edited by rocwell; Sun Aug 7, 2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• that block looked impressive in game but even more impressive in that still shot. i like Saric, even though i haven't seen much of him yet

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
          These guys who choked against Venezuela should have been in Manila this year. I'm looking at you, Wiggins.
          Totally with you on that one. If I was Wiggins, I'd definitely want a chance to redeem myself, especially since he arguably choked the hardest last summer. In that one game winner-take-all vs. France, Wiggins definitely could have made a difference, as it ended up being a close game.

Comment

• I get the excuses/reasons, they just don't add up for me. If Canada can produce enough talent to be the second best represented country in the NBA after the US, we should be able to field a national team that can qualify for the Olympics. Period. There's enough expertise at the top and talent on the floor. Honestly I think not making it is kind of acceptable in the Canada basketball culture. 2004 was unacceptable to the US and they made big changes to remedy it. The Australian swim team had a very disappointing London Olympics, I heard they canned 2/3 of the staff in the program afterwards and overhauled the whole thing. Canadian men's basketball team fails to qualify, chokes against a much less talented Venezuela team, and there's pretty much no response other than "Oh well, that's too bad. Hope we get some good volunteers next time!". Instead of just crossing your fingers for your highest profile guys to join up, the program needs higher standards and more self-respect. The best team isn't necessarily the biggest names, something the US program knows after Athens and the Canadian hockey program has known since Nagano.

A lot of countries are missing some key guys, they always are. He'll, Venezuela didn't even have Vasquez when they beat Canada.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I get the excuses/reasons, they just don't add up for me. If Canada can produce enough talent to be the second best represented country in the NBA after the US, we should be able to field a national team that can qualify for the Olympics. Period. There's enough expertise at the top and talent on the floor. Honestly I think not making it is kind of acceptable in the Canada basketball culture. 2004 was unacceptable to the US and they made big changes to remedy it. The Australian swim team had a very disappointing London Olympics, I heard they canned 2/3 of the staff in the program afterwards and overhauled the whole thing. Canadian men's basketball team fails to qualify, chokes against a much less talented Venezuela team, and there's pretty much no response other than "Oh well, that's too bad. Hope we get some good volunteers next time!". Instead of just crossing your fingers for your highest profile guys to join up, the program needs higher standards and more self-respect. The best team isn't necessarily the biggest names, something the US program knows after Athens and the Canadian hockey program has known since Nagano.

A lot of countries are missing some key guys, they always are. He'll, Venezuela didn't even have Vasquez when they beat Canada.
              Good post. Good points.

Comment

• Well, Canada should be there but they shit the bed against Venezuela in a game they should have won by 20 pts.

Unfortunately, the new FIBA format makes me wonder whether Canada has any hope going forward to even play in any major international tourneys - their only hope will be to buy their way into the Olympic qualifying tourneys.

Comment

• Our women's team got lucky against the Serbs. Serbia should never have lost that game but their guards couldn't handle a simple man-to-man press at all in the fourth - they were just throwing the ball blindly around the floor. It looked like they had never seen a team play a full court defense before. The Serbian coach is just sitting there in stunned disbelief, along with their fans. That was embarrassing.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    Our women's team got lucky against the Serbs. Serbia should never have lost that game but their guards couldn't handle a simple man-to-man press at all in the fourth - they were just throwing the ball blindly around the floor. It looked like they had never seen a team play a full court defense before. The Serbian coach is just sitting there in stunned disbelief, along with their fans. That was embarrassing.
                    Agreed. The Serbian guards were dribbling themselves into trouble too. Up 12, they had to know a press was coming. And it helps having Kia Nurse. She was unstoppable. Puzzling that the Serbians didn't force someone else to beat them and send a second defender to get the ball out of her hands.

Comment

I get the excuses/reasons, they just don't add up for me. If Canada can produce enough talent to be the second best represented country in the NBA after the US, we should be able to field a national team that can qualify for the Olympics. Period. There's enough expertise at the top and talent on the floor. Honestly I think not making it is kind of acceptable in the Canada basketball culture. 2004 was unacceptable to the US and they made big changes to remedy it. The Australian swim team had a very disappointing London Olympics, I heard they canned 2/3 of the staff in the program afterwards and overhauled the whole thing. Canadian men's basketball team fails to qualify, chokes against a much less talented Venezuela team, and there's pretty much no response other than "Oh well, that's too bad. Hope we get some good volunteers next time!". Instead of just crossing your fingers for your highest profile guys to join up, the program needs higher standards and more self-respect. The best team isn't necessarily the biggest names, something the US program knows after Athens and the Canadian hockey program has known since Nagano.

Well said. It's a joke that we didnt qualify for the 2016 Olympics, either this year or last. Oh well, pretty much all of our nba players are under 25 so 2020 is the year...although I heard qualifying will be done in season from now on?
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Venezuela showed for one quarter against U.S why Canada may have lost to a non NBA roster

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                          Venezuela showed for one quarter against U.S why Canada may have lost to a non NBA roster
                          I seem to recall the FIBA Americas infinitely rougher basketball than this Olympic tournament.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                            I seem to recall the FIBA Americas infinitely rougher basketball than this Olympic tournament.
                            Looks like FIBA America's teams doing the zone proud .. Brazil presently beating Spain going into the 4th quarter ..

Comment

• Gasol choked at the end of both games so far. He looked great otherwise, i feel a bit bad for him.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                                Gasol choked at the end of both games so far. He looked great otherwise, i feel a bit bad for him.
                                I didn't watch but I read that Gasol was 5 of 12 from the line.

Comment

Working...
                                X