Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    I didn't watch but I read that Gasol was 5 of 12 from the line.
    probably, didn't shoot them well. when i said choked, i was referring to 2 free throws with a few seconds left. if he makes them, they are up 3. he missed both, Brazil made a layup and won the game.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
      Gasol choked at the end of both games so far. He looked great otherwise, i feel a bit bad for him.
      I don't if he choked .. He has been in so many Big games that I can't see him being phased by game two of this tourney .

Comment

• Funny hearing the Canadian National team players in volleyball tell how happy they are to be in these Olympics and how all the hard work is finally being rewarded but in basketball it is oh well enjoying the summer and glad we don't have to do tat Olympic thing .

Comment

• To me there is parity in FIBA basketball ... 1st place clearly U.S but second and third is a toss up between 5 to 7 teams .. Jonas team narrowly beat Nigeria and U.S destroyed them .

Comment

• Argentina destroyed Nigeria also. Nigeria just played much better against Lithuania. Lithuania is doing just fine, in the hunt for a medal.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
              Funny hearing the Canadian National team players in volleyball tell how happy they are to be in these Olympics and how all the hard work is finally being rewarded but in basketball it is oh well enjoying the summer and glad we don't have to do tat Olympic thing .
              That's because volleyball players dedicate their lives to Olympics. Nba players dedicate their lives to nba. I'm not defending wiggins but there's a clear difference here.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                That's because volleyball players dedicate their lives to Olympics. Nba players dedicate their lives to nba. I'm not defending wiggins but there's a clear difference here.
                Euro NBA players also dedicate their lives to Olympics ...

Comment

Euro NBA players also dedicate their lives to Olympics ...
                  They don't, it's still pro sports first. It used to be like that (Olympics above anything else) in the Soviet union and yugoslavia, but that's a long time ago. China is still this way though, judging by Yao.

Comment

They don't, it's still pro sports first. It used to be like that (Olympics above anything else) in the Soviet union and yugoslavia, but that's a long time ago. China is still this way though, judging by Yao.
                    I keep seeing Gasol and Parker whose bodies can't last a full season and then when country calls they are their to answer the bell

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      I get the excuses/reasons, they just don't add up for me. If Canada can produce enough talent to be the second best represented country in the NBA after the US, we should be able to field a national team that can qualify for the Olympics. Period. There's enough expertise at the top and talent on the floor. Honestly I think not making it is kind of acceptable in the Canada basketball culture. 2004 was unacceptable to the US and they made big changes to remedy it. The Australian swim team had a very disappointing London Olympics, I heard they canned 2/3 of the staff in the program afterwards and overhauled the whole thing. Canadian men's basketball team fails to qualify, chokes against a much less talented Venezuela team, and there's pretty much no response other than "Oh well, that's too bad. Hope we get some good volunteers next time!". Instead of just crossing your fingers for your highest profile guys to join up, the program needs higher standards and more self-respect. The best team isn't necessarily the biggest names, something the US program knows after Athens and the Canadian hockey program has known since Nagano.

A lot of countries are missing some key guys, they always are. He'll, Venezuela didn't even have Vasquez when they beat Canada.
                      Everybody cringes when you blame coaching, but it could be the smoking gun here; to which Jay Triano will always counter with lack of experience with the Canadian NBA players. It's the age-old debate: young talent vs. savvy veteran. I'm not 100% sold on that excuse, especially last summer when Canada was simply steamrolling the competition at the FIBA Americas until they choked when it counted.

It would seem that in a very close game against Venezuela and a jittery young squad, that would have been the perfect opportunity for Jay Triano to showcase a his vast international coaching experience with a savvy tactical adjustment, play call or motivational ploy. One single play ended up making the difference.

Comment

I keep seeing Gasol and Parker whose bodies can't last a full season and then when country calls they are their to answer the bell
                        They also miss some tournaments.

Lots of Euro players miss national teams because they have no pro contracts, or need to rest.

Comment

They also miss some tournaments.

Lots of Euro players miss national teams because they have no pro contracts, or need to rest.
                          I wonder if they have any regrets ie the Canadian players ... Watching the games and saying we could have beaten those guys or
                          just seeing the Olympic spirit

Comment

• U.S men got a scare from the Aussies ... Australia did have a lead late in the game ... I do think just talent can't beat U.S ie if Canada has their dream team ... Talent and Chemistry which the second I doubt can happen cause that would mean a group of five playing together for long stretches of time ... Some of these teams on the other side of the ocean start training camp real early in the summer and the guys really now each other on the court ...

Comment

• No idea when Aussies start to train, but it helps that they are a veteran team, and they've mostly been together for a number of years now.

Comment

• https://www.google.ca/search?q=2016+...gXoQiv5usXM%3A

Anyone notice something about our Volley ball national team and I wonder why is it ..

Comment

Working...
                                X