Game #13: Toronto Raptors 132 - Charlotte Hornets 96

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I'm team RHJ over team Norm. So if there is a legit beef, let's ship Norm to Kyrgyzstan
    Well can just attribute this to the fact that Norm is not the sharpest tool in the 'ol shed...

Comment

• Game Recap: The spirit of Tom Sterner lives on....

"They came out and asserted themselves," Williams said of the Raptors. "They imposed their will on us and we were never able to recover."
      https://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401160833

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
        I really wonder what the rotation will look like once we’re all healthy again.

Ibaka and Norm are obviously the 6th/7th guys, then I’d imagine Rondae and Davis would be next in the pecking order. Nurse does seem to love McCaw, so I doubt he’ll fall out of the rotation completely, but that then leaves Boucher and Thomas as the 11th/12th guys and not getting playing time?

A good problem to have I guess
        A good problem indeed. I wouldn't mind seeing Nurse experiment with FVV coming off the bench once Lowry gets back. TD is showing he is a capable SG, and I'd can imagine how good our bench could be with FVV leading Ibaka, Boucher, Hollins and Norm.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

A good problem indeed. I wouldn't mind seeing Nurse experiment with FVV coming off the bench once Lowry gets back. TD is showing he is a capable SG, and I'd can imagine how good our bench could be with FVV leading Ibaka, Boucher, Hollins and Norm.
          I don't think that will happen. Nurse just likes Fred too much. The only way to get TD in the starting line up would be to trade Fred, and even then I think Norm gets first crack assuming Lowry is back.

Comment

Ibaka and Norm are obviously the 6th/7th guys, then I’d imagine Rondae and Davis would be next in the pecking order. Nurse does seem to love McCaw, so I doubt he’ll fall out of the rotation completely, but that then leaves Boucher and Thomas as the 11th/12th guys and not getting playing time?

Oh, god, it's going to be even more painful having to watch McCaw be terrible all over the court knowing we have this depth that should be playing in front of him rather than just being 90% sure we had this depth that should be playing in front of him.

Thomas will likely get short spurts each game to help boost some bench unit shooting for short spurts, and if there are nights where Norm is struggling you might see more Davis and Thomas to eat into those minutes. But Boucher will be in tough for minutes with two Cs in the rotation and RHJ likely getting the backup PF minutes.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I don't think that will happen. Nurse just likes Fred too much. The only way to get TD in the starting line up would be to trade Fred, and even then I think Norm gets first crack assuming Lowry is back.
              Not sure how FVV would take it if he was moved to the bench, but at some point having him as our starting SG is going be a disadvantage due to the size difference. Not that TD is huge, but he's got a bit more size and is an improving defender.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Not sure how FVV would take it if he was moved to the bench, but at some point having him as our starting SG is going be a disadvantage due to the size difference. Not that TD is huge, but he's got a bit more size and is an improving defender.
                FVV struggled mightily when he was tasked to lead the bench mob last year.... so Nurse had to scrap the bench mob. Fred is significantly better when he's surrounded with more talented players, ideally knock-down 3pt shooters and playmakers. This year's bench mob is looking it will come in 2 flavours: Lowry + Bench & Pascal + Bench. In hindsight, Pascal + Bench was probably the reason for the success of the 2017-18 vaunted 5-man unit.
                Last edited by golden; Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

After the top 7, RHJ is definitely going to keep getting minutes - he's not only been excellent defensively but he's productive and he makes impact plays. McCaw is going to be the default 9th guy until he loses the job or gets injured. Davis will get opportunities as will Thomas. I think Boucher will be in tough for minutes, though, at some point, Gasol is probably going to get some nights off, so they will need another big for those games.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

FVV struggled mightily when he was tasked to lead the bench mob last year.... so Nurse had to scrap the bench mob. Fred is significantly better when he's surrounded with more talented players, ideally knock-down 3pt shooters and playmakers. This year's bench mob is looking it will come in 2 flavours: Lowry + Bench & Pascal + Bench. In hindsight, Pascal + Bench was probably the reason for the success of the 2017-18 vaunted 5-man unit.
                    As opposed to all those players who are significantly better when surrounded by shitty players?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

As opposed to all those players who are significantly better when surrounded by shitty players?
                      Lowry has consistently elevated role players. Pascal looks like he can do it too. What have you been watching for the last 7-8 years?

Comment

Lowry has consistently elevated role players. Pascal looks like he can do it too. What have you been watching for the last 7-8 years?
                        Stars and superstars make the guys around them better? You don't say? My word, I think you might be onto something!

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Stars and superstars make the guys around them better? You don't say? My word, I think you might be onto something!
                          Pascal wasn't a star or superstar in 2017-18. He was a role player. But he made the bench better - and he's doing it again this year. Somebody mentioned Fred leading a bench of: Ibaka, RHJ & Boucher, but we don't have evidence of that being able to work without Pascal or Lowry.

Comment

• With both Lowry and FVV in the game we are at a huge disadvantage size wise. It's not uncommon teams SG is 6'5" - 6'7". If that's the case maybe try Norm at SG paired with Lowry to start. I think with injuries, load management etc there will be lots of playing time for top 11 - 12 guys over the course of a long NBA season.

Comment

100% this. Pascal is the reason our bench was so good back then. Nobody knew it at the time, but we had a legit future MVP candidate coming off the bench, feasting on scrubs. Sure he wasn't as good back then as he is now, but he was head and shoulders better than the people he was playing against.

Comment

Working...
                              X