Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceez
    replied
    basically at Deng's price point i'd like a player who's a little more elite at any one skill, also slightly younger.

Leave a comment:

• IROR
    replied
    Sure, Deng "fits" the Raptors. I could see him getting along great on and off the court in TO.

But at 10 mil a year (give or take) do the Raptors need Deng to maintain their success? No, this team has shown it can win games with Ross starting, and Ross is still developing.

For half the price and term we could bring in Thabo Seflosha AND Mike Miller to stabilize our weak point off the bench (just examples, thinking with analytics here, please don't crucify me) and have the same success -- with considerable more flexibility to address other areas from now til 2018.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Hannibal Lecter
    replied
    First let me say Great Vid,nice find.
    Tribute 2 Nelson Mandela,nice touch,well Done Musai Ujiri.
    As for Loul Deng crap,the guy is from Sudan..he came 2 support the cause.
    Player can't even go 2 event's and social media blows up for no reason.

Leave a comment:

• TrossTheBOSS
    replied
    I'd like deng but he won't be cheap

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Would the math work if Clevland signed Deng then traded him to us for Ross and parts? Would hate to give up Ross but if Deng comes over he has to start and I can't see him at PF full time. Plus Getting Ross would make Waiters expendable for them.
    The math could work. The logic would not IMO. Would not give up Ross for Deng.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• yabadabayolo
    replied
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Would the math work if Clevland signed Deng then traded him to us for Ross and parts? Would hate to give up Ross but if Deng comes over he has to start and I can't see him at PF full time. Plus Getting Ross would make Waiters expendable for them.
    I don't want deng but wouldn't it make more sense to just sign him upright? He's a ufa. Ross isn't that big a contract that you need to get rid of him to make room for deng.

Leave a comment:

• Mediumcore
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    can't look at stats in a vacuum either. Chicago has had a nightmare at the point of attack for the last two years. He has often played first or second option on a team with terrible offensive flow and spacing. Chicago is literally known for beating the shit out of you.

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    I think Deng will do just fine here. He doesn't have to play 40 minutes a night and wont carry the offensive burden here. He is not overrated defensively. He is a great team player and individual defender. The only way we can get him though will be a sign and trade if my math skills hold up.

I'd do 3 years 33 million 3rd year team option and going 12,11,10

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
    Deng is a terrific defender and has the ability to score from the 3 position. He is a great player and a great teammate as well, from all accounts. He would fit in well on the Raptors. However, Luol Deng is going to be a highly coveted free agent this summer, and will likely be receiving a large contract, one which the Raptors will not likely be willing to give in order to entice him to come to Toronto.
    Deng can't shoot consistently from 3 any better than derozan can. You're sacrificing the best shooter in your starting line up, Ross for someone that shot 33% from 3 last year. Putting in Deng is exactly like having Rudy Gay but better defense and less shots from the 3. The spacing is terrible and it's an inefficient team.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    I don't think Deng would have the same outcome from a personality or work ethic standpoint but the end result screams "HEDO!" for me.

I definitely don't want any short sighted moves that are just as likely to hinder success as advance it.

So many known "names" being thrown around here who are guys looking for one more big contract. Forget them.

Start looking at the guys coming off rookie deals or young 3rd contract guys in 2015 and 2016. Tobias Harris, Maurice Harkless as two examples of rookie deal guys and Batum as an example of a young 3rd contract FA (27 in 2016) off the top of my head.

But the reality is forget 2014 if you want GV, PP, and KL back. Personally, I do. They were huge parts of a 48 win team and if you're trying to build on what you have, you can't be losing pieces for other pieces that are unknown and expensive. By waiting 1 more year you keep what you have (KL, DD, TR, JV, PP, GV, 2014 picks, 2015 pick, cheap 2014 FA signing, resign Amir) and have more than likely have enough cap space to throw around a max contract.

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    If we're going to sign a small forward in free agency for long-term money, it needs to be someone who's still young and can get better. They also need to be able to pass well, rebound well and shoot the ball well. Aside from LeBron and Melo who we're obviously not getting. The only small forward in this class that I would give a lucrative long-term deal to is Hayward. Yes his efficiency was down this year due to being the #1 option, but put him back in his proper role as the #3 guy after DeMar and Lowry and you're going to have a very efficient 15-5-5 small forward.

Aside from that, the other options to me are as follows:
    - Draft a small forward
    - Take a flyer on a vet that might come cheap: Marion, Marvin Williams, PJ Tucker, Mike Miller, Caron Butler, etc
    - Take a flyer on a younger guy that might be better than he's shown: Aminu, Xavier Henry, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Hamilton, etc

But please for the love of God, no 8 figure long-term deals to guys like Deng. PLEASE. BC Era needs to end now.

Leave a comment:

• tenforthewin
    replied
    Deng would be good but it would cost a lot to acquire him, I would keep with what we have and resign Lowry, Deng can sign with a contender, possibly the Jazz or the Pistons

Leave a comment:

• YoungGunRaptor
    replied
    Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    Please tell me how Deng "fits" in Toronto.

Deng is a terrific defender and has the ability to score from the 3 position. He is a great player and a great teammate as well, from all accounts. He would fit in well on the Raptors. However, Luol Deng is going to be a highly coveted free agent this summer, and will likely be receiving a large contract, one which the Raptors will not likely be willing to give in order to entice him to come to Toronto.

Anyways, I think that Deng did come to attend the event, since he was born in Africa.Maybe he and Masaii talked basketball sometime before or after the event, but Deng was certainly there due to his African Heritage.

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Let's hope Masai DOESN'T have ulterior motives. Deng is likely gonna command damn near 8 figures per year. Even if we could somehow get far enough under the cap to pay him that I have no interest in doing so. Not efficient, defense is overrated and isn't a particularly good shooter. He's also 30 next season.

I would only consider signing Deng to like a 1+1 deal (1 year with a team option) and he's obviously not going to accept a contract like that at this stage of his career when teams like Dallas and possibly even Phoenix or LA are going to give him more lucrative offers.

Let's stay far far away from diminishing assets like Luol Deng on a long-term deal, thanks. Stop letting Joe Johnson's playoff post-ups cloud your judgment guys.
    This exactly.

We don't have room for him in our starting lineup and it would be stupid to pay a guy at least 10 mil per for multiple seasons in order to lead my bench.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X