No announcement yet.

Luol Deng in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't look at stats in a vacuum either. Chicago has had a nightmare at the point of attack for the last two years. He has often played first or second option on a team with terrible offensive flow and spacing. Chicago is literally known for beating the shit out of you.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Would the math work if Clevland signed Deng then traded him to us for Ross and parts? Would hate to give up Ross but if Deng comes over he has to start and I can't see him at PF full time. Plus Getting Ross would make Waiters expendable for them.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        Would the math work if Clevland signed Deng then traded him to us for Ross and parts? Would hate to give up Ross but if Deng comes over he has to start and I can't see him at PF full time. Plus Getting Ross would make Waiters expendable for them.
        I don't want deng but wouldn't it make more sense to just sign him upright? He's a ufa. Ross isn't that big a contract that you need to get rid of him to make room for deng.
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          The math could work. The logic would not IMO. Would not give up Ross for Deng.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd like deng but he won't be cheap

Comment

First let me say Great Vid,nice find.
              Tribute 2 Nelson Mandela,nice touch,well Done Musai Ujiri.
              As for Loul Deng crap,the guy is from Sudan..he came 2 support the cause.
              Player can't even go 2 event's and social media blows up for no reason.
              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Sure, Deng "fits" the Raptors. I could see him getting along great on and off the court in TO.

But at 10 mil a year (give or take) do the Raptors need Deng to maintain their success? No, this team has shown it can win games with Ross starting, and Ross is still developing.

For half the price and term we could bring in Thabo Seflosha AND Mike Miller to stabilize our weak point off the bench (just examples, thinking with analytics here, please don't crucify me) and have the same success -- with considerable more flexibility to address other areas from now til 2018.

Comment

basically at Deng's price point i'd like a player who's a little more elite at any one skill, also slightly younger.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

@ceez and there are a lot of FA SFs that fit that bill this offseason. Especially wing defenders.

Comment

I think Deng would be a good fit in Toronto. They need that 2nd/3rd scoring punch who can create his own shot, and can handle the ball in crucial moments in the game. Deng is a proven veteran who has the intangibles, good basketball IQ and a team first personality. He's been a consistently above average defender (104 DRtg) and big enough to guard the likes of Lebron and KD.

Wont come cheap? Probably not. But most likely wont come expensive either. He's coming off the worst season of his career with the Cavs (which technically is not his doing) and he was traded by a team who was having a superb season without their franchise player and still managed to do all this after trading him (Deng). Also, he's most likely looking for that long term contract on a team where he can still contribute, but not that much to rely on him to play for 35-40mins a game because of his age and past injuries. It would probably fair for him to ask between 7-9mil a season, in the range Monta, Teague got.

I think at this point where the Raptors are, Deng would be perfect. He still has 3-4 good years left in him, just enough to get the Raptors to a point where they'll get used to winning. JV and Ross are only into their 3rd year in the league, and by the time Deng's contract expires, these two will be young seasoned veterans good enough to welcome those young guns who will come in to help them win a championship.
                      Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed Jun 25, 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

No to Deng. He is a poor 3pt shooter, his FG% is in decline and no longer good for his position, his defense is overrated and bound to decline with his age (30 next season), and most importantly, he will cost over $10M per season. I'd much rather spend $5M per season on someone like Aminu who is still young with upside, even though he has the same flaws as Deng.

Comment

Aminu was actually having a great to start the year starting in NO. Was having a career year before injuries. I'd be more excited with him off the bench than Deng starting.

Comment

Even though deng is from Africa, it still seems somewhat random that he was there. Also heard second hand on the fan tonight that he has family in toronto. Hmmmmm...,,

Comment

Add a poll I wanna see how many guys want deng

Comment

TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
                                Add a poll I wanna see how many guys want deng
                                I don't. Don't think he'll be worth the price. He's gotta be looking for a good deal. I vaguely remember their being issues with Chicago not wanting to offer him what he wanted, which is part of the reason he was traded. Not sure if the number is right, but I remember 3-year $30M being an offer he didn't want.

My guess is he'd want more years at least, if not also more yearly dollars. I don't want him for 4 years, and I don't want him for $9-10 M a year....So yeah, pass.

Now, if by some miracle he signed for like 2 years $15-16M total, I'd be ok with that. But that's pretty damn unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                                X