No announcement yet.

Luol Deng in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deng will be the best wing after James and Carmelo. Wonder if he ends up with a stupid Gay type contract because of it. Teams creating cap space who get denied by James/Carmelo might swoop in and grab Deng. Someone like Dallas probably.

Comment

Dallas would actually be better off with Deng over Carmelo...
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        I don't think Deng would have the same outcome from a personality or work ethic standpoint but the end result screams "HEDO!" for me.

I definitely don't want any short sighted moves that are just as likely to hinder success as advance it.

So many known "names" being thrown around here who are guys looking for one more big contract. Forget them.

Start looking at the guys coming off rookie deals or young 3rd contract guys in 2015 and 2016. Tobias Harris, Maurice Harkless as two examples of rookie deal guys and Batum as an example of a young 3rd contract FA (27 in 2016) off the top of my head.

But the reality is forget 2014 if you want GV, PP, and KL back. Personally, I do. They were huge parts of a 48 win team and if you're trying to build on what you have, you can't be losing pieces for other pieces that are unknown and expensive. By waiting 1 more year you keep what you have (KL, DD, TR, JV, PP, GV, 2014 picks, 2015 pick, cheap 2014 FA signing, resign Amir) and have more than likely have enough cap space to throw around a max contract.
        A part of me now feels that Lowry's departure can indeed happen. Then what? Deng could stabilize this team in the short run. I know he won't sign a 1-year deal (seeking his last contract), but as far as fit is concerned, he's still a decent defender at the 3 position - a position of need for the Raps.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
          A part of me now feels that Lowry's departure can indeed happen. Then what? Deng could stabilize this team in the short run. I know he won't sign a 1-year deal (seeking his last contract), but as far as fit is concerned, he's still a decent defender at the 3 position - a position of need for the Raps.
          If Lowry leaves, is there even a need for Deng? We'd be in rebuild mode all over again.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            I'd rather see a 4 year approach to building a team than a 1 year quick fix.

So what if he leaves? The core of this team are all in mid-20's. If the Raptors take a step back they have time to continue accumulating assets and developing what they have until 2015 and 2016 when they can really be a free agent player.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              If Lowry leaves, is there even a need for Deng? We'd be in rebuild mode all over again.
              If Lowry signs elsewhere we will be seeing those tank avatars again.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                I'd rather see a 4 year approach to building a team than a 1 year quick fix.

So what if he leaves? The core of this team are all in mid-20's. If the Raptors take a step back they have time to continue accumulating assets and developing what they have until 2015 and 2016 when they can really be a free agent player.
                The tricky part would be convincing guys like DeRozan and Amir, to keep fighting through 2 more years of crappy ball

Comment

Stop looking for quick fixes guys. The team is not going to improve substantially next season, accept that. Let's bring back our core guys in free agency, draft well and make CHEAP low-risk/high-reward signings and trades to fill out the roster. There's no need to go for broke on deng who will be expensive as hell and not move the needle (id argue that starting him over Ross makes us worse).

I'm looking ahead more to 2015 where we have oodles of cap space and a ton of young picks and prospects available to trade. Patience is key.

Comment

Working...
                  X