Game #15: Toronto Raptors 119 - Atlanta Hawks 116

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
    They played down to the competition on this one. Looked like a pick-up game defensively on the 1st half, then they turned it up to close it out. They looked at the Hawks record, underestimated them a bit and almost got bit, but pulled through in the end.

On another note,I get that Gasol defends well, the team usually "wins the minutes he's on the floor" etc, but from a pure scoring threat barometer, he is now logging the 3rd fewest points and 3rd fewest FGA per minute on the team (ahead only of McCaw and Miller). Opposing teams can safely ignore him on the offence as a finisher from an analytics standpoint and focus their effort on the other 4 guys on the floor. It's been dry for him; I think if they had some plays designed for him it would not only help get him going but it would also catch a lot of opposing defences by surprise
    Gasol has wide open 3s on every possession. That’s the best shot in basketball.

Comment

• Hawks put in some work last night. They were playing hard and trae knocking down some tough shots. Dude is the closest thing to curry in the league right now. The game was never in doubt though. Another solid game from norm...he seems best suited as 3rd or 4th option as a starter, rather than a 6th or 7th man off the bench.

meanwhile, philly destroyed the heat...mondays game gonna be tough without lowry. They got bodies to throw at pascal and fred might struggle against the length of that team. Gonna be a good one.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
        Goldblum on a killer streak... the basketball gods must enjoy his game threads

Here come the Sixers....

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Gasol has wide open 3s on every possession. That’s the best shot in basketball.
          Yeah that's true actually. Don't need to run plays, just surprise the defender every now and then by hoisting a few more per game, the space is there.

Comment

• A++ effort by Trae and company against a depleted team but still came up short. The defending champs prevailed vs. a developing group. Hunter is playing well lately. This Hawks with Huerter, Collins, Reddish, Trae and Hunter is a very solid young team, just unlucky lately with the injuries and the stupidity of Collins.

Hawks wanted to replicate the luck of the then young Golden State Warriors but so far are still miles away from being there with some bumps along the way.

They can get their own version of Iggy and another stud vet 2 way player and maybe...
            Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Sun Nov 24, 2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Over Kyrie, Kemba, Trae, Simmons and Brogdon? Even Lowry?
              Allstar point guards don't have a 38.8 FG % (ranks 335 / 450). He is a solid NBAer, but he wouldn't even replace Kyle IMO.

Comment

Yeah that's true actually. Don't need to run plays, just surprise the defender every now and then by hoisting a few more per game, the space is there.
                Overall Gasol has a 33.3 FG % which is near or at the bottom compared to other starting / rotation level NBAers. His 3P average is a very respectable 40.9%, he just has no inside game.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

Overall Gasol has a 33.3 FG % which is near or at the bottom compared to other starting / rotation level NBAers. His 3P average is a very respectable 40.9%, he just has no inside game.
                  At this stage of his career, Gasol just needs to embrace his inner Brook Lopez. He would be devastating as a legitimate 3-pt threat who spaces the floor, pulls the rim protector away from the paint and dissects the defense with pinpoint passes to cutters.

Comment

Over Kyrie, Kemba, Trae, Simmons and Brogdon? Even Lowry?
                    Trae Young is not going to make the all star team because he plays for a lottery team. Look at Luka last year. The Mavs last year wasn't as bad as the Hawks this year and he still did not make the team.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

At this stage of his career, Gasol just needs to embrace his inner Brook Lopez. He would be devastating as a legitimate 3-pt threat who spaces the floor, pulls the rim protector away from the paint and dissects the defense with pinpoint passes to cutters.
                      Bingo. That's pretty much what I said in the front page comments, you gotta be a threat from somewhere. In today's game, it's ok for a Centre to step outside and essentially became a perimeter player like Brook Lopez did. That can actually create a lot of problems for opposing defences, because it can hinder their rim protection by pulling one of their bigs away from the paint. In case of Gasol that could be even more effective because he's got such good court vision to find open players when the defence scramble to close out on him.

If you choose to become a perimeter player though, you can never pass an open 3. You gotta start generating the kind of gravity Brook Lopez has. Become a perimeter magnet first, THEN start swinging the ball when defences start overplaying your shot.

Comment

Bingo. That's pretty much what I said in the front page comments, you gotta be a threat from somewhere. In today's game, it's ok for a Centre to step outside and essentially became a perimeter player like Brook Lopez did. That can actually create a lot of problems for opposing defences, because it can hinder their rim protection by pulling one of their bigs away from the paint. In case of Gasol that could be even more effective because he's got such good court vision to find open players when the defence scramble to close out on him.

If you choose to become a perimeter player though, you can never pass an open 3. You gotta start generating the kind of gravity Brook Lopez has. Become a perimeter magnet first, THEN start swinging the ball when defences start overplaying your shot.
                        Yep I'll say it again because it keeps happening, Gasol will be the most open guy on the floor on the catch and he swings the ball into coverage. Just shoot that shot.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Yep I'll say it again because it keeps happening, Gasol will be the most open guy on the floor on the catch and he swings the ball into coverage. Just shoot that shot.
                          If he keeps it up, I’m going to break my TV at some point this season.

Comment

If he keeps it up, I’m going to break my TV at some point this season.
                            How many TVs did you go through in 2011-2012 season?
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                            X