Game #16: Philadelphia 76ers 96 - Toronto Raptors 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Look at my comment you are responding to plz.

How does my asking if "you are telling me it's asking too much of your starting 7 foot C to avg somewhere near 10 and 5 at a minimum and to do that wouldn't necessarily negate from good D" equate to you asking if I'd prefer the team being .500? That makes zero sense.

Marc could chip in minimal (but better) offensive numbers without affecting his stellar D whatsoever. My opinion.
    I agree that our defensive scheme doesn't place him optimally for rebounds but disagree that he might put up more points, "a role we do not need from him at all."

I think that could well prove false as the season moves on. It's incredibly hard to keep winning at this pace without an elite player and getting under 5 PPG from your starting C. It almost never happens.

Lave it at that, Marc defenders are understandably quick to defend
    I'm with you on this one...BTW, Watching LAC destroy the MAVs last night in Dallas was impressive. They are very, scary good.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Frankly, Marc needs to stop trying to score so much by going inside, and focus on playmaking and taking open threes. He might even put up more points if he stuck to his strengths rather than trying to produce points, a role we do not need from him at all.
      He needs to do enough of it to keep the defense honest. If you become too one-dimensional it starts to affect the entire offense. which we saw last year in the playoffs. He doesn't need to be a monster in the paint but the defense needs to believe he will go there once in awhile, otherwise, it starts to affect the rest of the offense - maybe not in large aggregated numbers over a regular season but certainly in 7-game playoff series.

Comment

Look at my comment you are responding to plz.

How does my asking if "you are telling me it's asking too much of your starting 7 foot C to avg somewhere near 10 and 5 at a minimum and to do that wouldn't necessarily negate from good D" equate to you asking if I'd prefer the team being .500? That makes zero sense.

Marc could chip in minimal (but better) offensive numbers without affecting his stellar D whatsoever. My opinion.
        Oh? How would he do that? If you tell Marc to score more, the move for him to make is to post up more. That's the sort of scoring play he has real control over. And that's exactly the sort of play that actively hurts the team and also does not help him score more.

I agree that our defensive scheme doesn't place him optimally for rebounds but disagree that he might put up more points, "a role we do not need from him at all."

I think that could well prove false as the season moves on. It's incredibly hard to keep winning at this pace without an elite player and getting under 5 PPG from your starting C. It almost never happens.

Lave it at that, Marc defenders are understandably quick to defend
        We do not at all need Marc to be a scorer. We need him to take open shots when the defence gives him those. But the ultimate goal there is not to have him increase his scoring average, but to make defences play him closer, which opens up the offence for everyone else. If he shoots more readily from three, and defences start taking that away, and his averages stay exactly where they are, the team will be better for it and every Raptor fan should be delighted with that.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

He needs to do enough of it to keep the defense honest. If you become too one-dimensional it starts to affect the entire offense. which we saw last year in the playoffs. He doesn't need to be a monster in the paint but the defense needs to believe he will go there once in awhile, otherwise, it starts to affect the rest of the offense - maybe not in large aggregated numbers over a regular season but certainly in 7-game playoff series.
          Yes, he needs to shoot more threes when open. But that's basically it.

If teams want to guard him with a SG, yeah, let him go work in the post to break that coverage. Until then, you are throwing away possessions and all you get for it is a more tired Gasol pounding in the post on both ends instead of just the one where he provides value there.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes, he needs to shoot more threes when open. But that's basically it.

If teams want to guard him with a SG, yeah, let him go work in the post to break that coverage. Until then, you are throwing away possessions and all you get for it is a more tired Gasol pounding in the post on both ends instead of just the one where he provides value there.
            It's not a 'wasted possession' but I think I'll just leave it at we'll agree to disagree.....

Comment

• Marc just needs to take a couple more 3s. Not a big fan of posting him up. Something that could get Marc a couple more baskets is when a double comes to pascal if marc made a cut from the 3pt line up the gut of the defense through the key for some easy buckets. Even if marc doesn't get a shot off that cut, He will pull the weakside defender and marc can swing it to the corner for a open 3.
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Marc often gives up easy open looks in favour of an unnecessary extra pass. Or he takes them and misses easy bunnies.
                make those and there's the difference in production we're asking for right there.

He often appears to be putting in zero effort to track down rebounds. Sometimes a little effort could result in a few easy rebounds for him (again, all we're asking for) and could just as easily, result in a few less offensive putbacks and rebounds for the opposition.

Neither of these things require him drastically change his game or lessen his D.

Be a tiny bit more aggressive, make your bunnies, keep doing what you're doing on D. Please don't ask again if I'd prefer a .500 team or pretend like anyone is saying Gasol is terrible....

Comment

Marc often gives up easy open looks in favour of an unnecessary extra pass. Or he takes them and misses easy bunnies.
                  make those and there's the difference in production we're asking for right there.

He often appears to be putting in zero effort to track down rebounds. Sometimes a little effort could result in a few easy rebounds for him (again, all we're asking for) and could just as easily, result in a few less offensive putbacks and rebounds for the opposition.

Neither of these things require him drastically change his game or lessen his D.

Be a tiny bit more aggressive, make your bunnies, keep doing what you're doing on D. Please don't ask again if I'd prefer a .500 team or pretend like anyone is saying Gasol is terrible....
                  So, your issue is he's missing easy shots? Get used to it. It's not effort. He's falling off physically. He doesn't have the touch inside anymore. It's been a trend for a while. Even last season we were far better off with him staying outside. Same goes for the rebounding, expecting him to move around a lot to chase boards is a fool's game at this point. He's a positional rebounder now and that's life. Combine that with the help role the team uses him in and his rebounding is going to be down.

I say better to appreciate what he is and can bring, and use him in the best way to accentuate that, than to complain he hasn't scored a few more points while ignoring how the Raptors consistently walk all over teams when he's out there directing the offence and defence.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It's not a 'wasted possession' but I think I'll just leave it at we'll agree to disagree.....
                    I guess if you don't want, like, points, from your offensive possessions, then I suppose...
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I guess if you don't want, like, points, from your offensive possessions, then I suppose...
                      This isn't baseball.

Comment

This isn't baseball.
                        Meaning what, exactly?
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Meaning what, exactly?
                          Meaning, you can finally agree with someone, this isn't baseball lol

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

Hey where the hell is rocwell? I haven't seen that dude in a long time
                            Health problems, had a lymphoma, chemo sucked badly - I'm back(ish) haha.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Welcome back!!
                              (hope you’re hanging in there)

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

That sucks... sorry to hear and hope you feel well soon enough. Were you laid up during the championship run ...get to see it? ..just know you have been away a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X