X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

Is anyone allowed to do anything but stand on the three point line and shoot threes? What a dynamic game!
    I was going to comment but then I remembered that sarcasm doesn't travel well on the internet. :-)

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Gasol just plays to win. Some nights he needs to score 30 (in his prime) some nights less than 5. He just judges the game. Hes not sitting there thinking "shit I only have 2 points I better shoot more"..each possession is it's own situation and he decides what he thinks is best for the Toronto raptors.

now, has he hesitated on what would have been a good shot in the past? Absolutely. But there's no set number that Gasol needs to average x amount of points. That's not his role here. Siakam is a go to scorer. He needs to score over 20 efficiently. That's the pressure on his job. Gasol needs to make sure he team is winning, and the opposing center is not going off. That's the pressure on his job.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    OK, I give up. I have what I think are reasonable expectations for Gasol that you don't. Done.

Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse says point guard Kyle Lowry, who has been sidelined since Nov. 8 with a thumb injury, is a “possibility” to return to action Tuesday against the Miami Heat.

There, that's definitive

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

Every time you answer me to defend Gasol for some reason, you sound argumentative but don't address my comment at all lol

I said "that's all a couple of us have been asking, perhaps not to this measure but just a bit more than zero from his offense. And as I suggested, it doesn't have to be at the expense of Gasol's D."

I don't care whether he takes threes or goes inside now and again to keep them honest (he shouldn't miss the bunnies he has been) but I hate when he passes up virtually everything. He didn't pass up too many open looks and his D was still solid. EXACTLY what I said, why shouldn't your 7' C drop 10 and 5?
    He should drop 10 and 5 when teams leave him as open as the Jazz did. Not all teams will, and he should not make an effort to get his 10 when they don't, it would be harmful to the team as a whole.

Was my point. That it doesn't matter the point totals so long as he's making the right play within the offence.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

What's that? He took a bunch of open threes? And didn't barely play inside at all (and when he did it was largely useless except a wide open dunk)? He didn't force his offence but just took the open jumpers when they were there? Good stuff. Sort of exactly what people should have expected from him, and the sort of play that won't increase his scoring much long term as teams cover him more tightly on the perimeter? Yeah, good stuff.
    Every time you answer me to defend Gasol for some reason, you sound argumentative but don't address my comment at all lol

I said "that's all a couple of us have been asking, perhaps not to this measure but just a bit more than zero from his offense. And as I suggested, it doesn't have to be at the expense of Gasol's D."

I don't care whether he takes threes or goes inside now and again to keep them honest (he shouldn't miss the bunnies he has been) but I hate when he passes up virtually everything. He didn't pass up too many open looks and his D was still solid. EXACTLY what I said, why shouldn't your 7' C drop 10 and 5?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

Is anyone allowed to do anything but stand on the three point line and shoot threes? What a dynamic game!
    Gasol is supposed to stand in the high post and have guys cut around him. When he's off ball he should be above the arc.

I have advocated for no one standing around off ball. Fred's so dynamic off ball cutting across the floor, coming around screens, sliding into open spaces as others drive and cut, I'd never ask him to stand at the three point line. He's too good off ball to have him standing still, that would be dumb. Frankly I'd like Fred to set screens for Siakam more often, that's one of Lowry's strengths Fred is smart enough to replicate and it would really leverage his off ball skills even more without forcing him to dribble possessions into oblivion to keep him involved in the primary action.

Those two are the two most ineffective players inside the arc on the team. I don't think I'm reinventing the wheel suggesting two of our most effective three point shooters who are also incredibly ineffective inside should operate mostly on the outside.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied

I thought the biggest catalyst for it was just how open they were leaving him. Like, he's usually open. But Gobert was glued to the paint for the 1st Q, and only started coming out more later in the game. Marc just had literally a dozen feet of space and no one coming to him, he almost had to shoot. As compared to his usual "well, that guy is kinda close to me and is at least moving towards me so I can pass instead of shoot" situation. Would love to see him taking more of those medium-open shots, and hopefully this game with the incredibly-wide-open shots will be the catalyst for that. He took a couple more tightly contested ones in this one when they adjusted too, so might be a sign of readier shooting. Though hopefully he also doesn't swing too far the wrong way, he just needs to punish the defence, not take contested shots.

Leave a comment:

• Zak24gege
    replied
    Headline in today's edition of the Salt Lake Tribune...Nice.

The Jazz suffer a gut-check loss to the Raptors. They’ll have to decide: ‘How bad do we want to be a good team?’

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, Conley said in the post-game that Gasol becoming a legit floor spacer is a big problem for other teams.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...-gasol-conley/
    I thought the biggest catalyst for it was just how open they were leaving him. Like, he's usually open. But Gobert was glued to the paint for the 1st Q, and only started coming out more later in the game. Marc just had literally a dozen feet of space and no one coming to him, he almost had to shoot. As compared to his usual "well, that guy is kinda close to me and is at least moving towards me so I can pass instead of shoot" situation. Would love to see him taking more of those medium-open shots, and hopefully this game with the incredibly-wide-open shots will be the catalyst for that. He took a couple more tightly contested ones in this one when they adjusted too, so might be a sign of readier shooting. Though hopefully he also doesn't swing too far the wrong way, he just needs to punish the defence, not take contested shots.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Gotta admit...pretty excited for the Heat game. Bring it on Goldblum.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

What's that? He took a bunch of open threes? And didn't barely play inside at all (and when he did it was largely useless except a wide open dunk)? He didn't force his offence but just took the open jumpers when they were there? Good stuff. Sort of exactly what people should have expected from him, and the sort of play that won't increase his scoring much long term as teams cover him more tightly on the perimeter? Yeah, good stuff.
    Yeah, Conley said in the post-game that Gasol becoming a legit floor spacer is a big problem for other teams.

Gasol was a big part of it – his 11 first-quarter points exceeding his season average of 5.8 points a game – giving a glimpse of what the Raptors’ ceiling might be if and when he is more assertive offensively.

“I knew he was going to do that, somehow,” said Conley. “I’ve watched a lot of the [Raptors’] games and I told the guys ‘I guarantee you he’s going shoot a lot more tonight, whether he’s playing me or whatever, he’s going to be aggressive. With him stretching the floor like that early it really threw off what we were trying to do, but that’s what makes him so dangerous. He’s capable of doing it any night and doing whatever it takes for his team.”
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...-gasol-conley/

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

Eric Smith cleared a bit of that up on twitter. Seems like it was nothing. RHJ seems a bit emotional. I don't think he's a cancer or anything.

Yeah I think he's a super passionate guy. Fred and him seem to really hit off on the court, body language says theyre big fans of one another. Not so sure about Norm since he took his toque off and tossed it lol

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

Eric Smith cleared a bit of that up on twitter. Seems like it was nothing. RHJ seems a bit emotional. I don't think he's a cancer or anything.

He left the bench during the game? what happened?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    "Gasol was a big part of it – his 11 first-quarter points exceeding his season average of 5.8 points a game – giving a glimpse of what the Raptors’ ceiling might be if and when he is more assertive offensively."

And that's all a couple of us have been asking, perhaps not to this measure but just a bit more than zero from his offense. And as I suggested, it doesn't have to be at the expense of Gasol's D. In fact, when he reverted to normal form was when the Jazz went off....

Great game, really entertaining again and Serge didn't screw with our mojo

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Zak24gege wrote: View Post
    Win by 40, 20 or 2 they all count the same. It's a long season. Not sure why RHJ was steamed at Nick. He played 22 mins and the bench started the 4th poorly to allow UTAH to pull within 15 and plenty of time left o play. We don't need that drama at this point in the season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X