To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    The East after Milwaukee has so much parity at the top.. I don't see Masai blowing it up. If he moves Kyle it's to get better not to get worse IMO. He never blew up the DD/Kyle teams even though he had many opportunities. He continued to try and make them better.

I think the logical move for Masai is to stand pat and then look to move Lowry at the draft depending on how we perform in this season's playoffs. Or he may do something if his competition does. If Boston, Philly, Miami or even Milwaukee make big moves at the deadline he might as well. I mean he did last year by getting us Marc. But that was only after Milwaukee got Mirotic and the 76ers got Harris. If neither made moves, I'm not sure if we would have either outside of those salary relief trades he made to get under the tax.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      ...Norm has given us some consistent games the past few weeks. Feels like he's turning a corner...
      Hasn't this always been the danger with Norm. He's been "turning the corner" since his first year. I like him, and I like how he plays when he's "good Norm." It's just that it seems if you are not feeding him a steady diet of starter minute, he turns to crap. I thinking counting on him to become consistent may be a mugs game.

Comment

The East after Milwaukee has so much parity at the top.. I don't see Masai blowing it up. If he moves Kyle it's to get better not to get worse IMO. He never blew up the DD/Kyle teams even though he had many opportunities. He continued to try and make them better.

I think the logical move for Masai is to stand pat and then look to move Lowry at the draft depending on how we perform in this season's playoffs. Or he may do something if his competition does. If Boston, Philly, Miami or even Milwaukee make big moves at the deadline he might as well. I mean he did last year by getting us Marc. But that was only after Milwaukee got Mirotic and the 76ers got Harris. If neither made moves, I'm not sure if we would have either outside of those salary relief trades he made to get under the tax.
        Yeah, I think any move has to be a clear talent upgrade that doesn't mess up 2021 cap, so, it's more likely that the team will ride with this group until the draft. Another reason to wait until the draft is that some trading partners (like Dallas) can't trade future 1st round picks this year, even though they have their own 1st round pick. So, if the Mavs wanted Lowry, there could be a verbal agreement that they draft the guy that Masai wants and he's included in the trade package. Of course, the other big reason to wait until the off-season is to find out what the market price for FVV is going to be.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Hasn't this always been the danger with Norm. He's been "turning the corner" since his first year. I like him, and I like how he plays when he's "good Norm." It's just that it seems if you are not feeding him a steady diet of starter minute, he turns to crap. I thinking counting on him to become consistent may be a mugs game.
          When we talk about consistency, FVV without Siakam (and Lowry to some degree) is pretty much the same as Norm.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

When we talk about consistency, FVV without Siakam (and Lowry to some degree) is pretty much the same as Norm.
            Yeah, but Norm without those guys is a complete disaster, and with those guys is inconsistent. FVV is inconsistent without those guys and one of the best role players in the game with them.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Yeah, but Norm without those guys is a complete disaster, and with those guys is inconsistent. FVV is inconsistent without those guys and one of the best role players in the game with them.
              Do the numbers back that up? What is Fred's net rating without Pascal? I wouldn't be surprised if it is consistent. A consistent disaster.

Comment

Do the numbers back that up? What is Fred's net rating without Pascal? I wouldn't be surprised if it is consistent. A consistent disaster.
                This year it's quite a small sample, but his net rating drops off from +8 with Pascal to -8 without him. Last year was a similar impact but Fred stayed afloat (+13 to +1 net rating). But that's also a team measure - Fred is not a star, and expecting him to carry the offence as a star is a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't judge Powell by whether he can carry a lineup either, role players can't do that.

But Norm has for years had his individual success tied to whether he is playing specifically beside Lowry. This year that has gone away, but his defence is disastrous as ever regardless of who he plays with, while Fred's is great regardless, which is the real difference between their reliance on who they play with for success. They both need to be in the right role offensively and will struggle when they are not. Fred will bring it defensively every night and Norm will consistently let you down on that end.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

This year it's quite a small sample, but his net rating drops off from +8 with Pascal to -8 without him. Last year was a similar impact but Fred stayed afloat (+13 to +1 net rating). But that's also a team measure - Fred is not a star, and expecting him to carry the offence as a star is a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't judge Powell by whether he can carry a lineup either, role players can't do that.

But Norm has for years had his individual success tied to whether he is playing specifically beside Lowry. This year that has gone away, but his defence is disastrous as ever regardless of who he plays with, while Fred's is great regardless, which is the real difference between their reliance on who they play with for success. They both need to be in the right role offensively and will struggle when they are not. Fred will bring it defensively every night and Norm will consistently let you down on that end.
                  In other words.... I'm mostly right.

Btw - what metrics are you using for defense - with & without others? Eye-test says that you're mostly right on this point because I would agree that Fred has been bringing tremendous energy on defense this year... like almost every possession. The contrast between FVV's effort and Lowry's laziness is giving me a whole new appreciation of Fred.

Comment

In other words.... I'm mostly right.

Btw - what metrics are you using for defense - with & without others? Eye-test says that you're mostly right on this point because I would agree that Fred has been bringing tremendous energy on defense this year... like almost every possession. The contrast between FVV's effort and Lowry's laziness is giving me a whole new appreciation of Fred.
                    Practically impossible to filter out defensive stats with a meaningful sample. Have to rely on impact stats to filter out the effect of teammates, and those are fuzzy anyway. But with Powell and Fred on that end, it's pretty visible.

As for you mostly being right, I would say that if what you were saying was that the team would struggle with FVV, a bonafide role player, leading a lineup, uh, yeah, of course you were right. And if you were saying something more than that, then the numbers have little to do with whatever else you were saying.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I don't see him doing anything drastic either, but you have to wonder how last seasons gamble plays into Masai's thinking. It was the equivalent of going all in, in a game of poker and beating the house, big time! Gambling....it tastes so good when it hits your lips

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I don't see him doing anything drastic either, but you have to wonder how last seasons gamble plays into Masai's thinking. It was the equivalent of going all in, in a game of poker and beating the house, big time! Gambling....it tastes so good when it hits your lips
                        I think the lesson there is if he has a chance to trade for a top 5 player he will. Not that he will trade guys just to trade guys.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

To be fair, Norm had Casey as coach for majority of his career. Now he's finally playing for a coach who is giving him the opportunities to succeed. Couple that with the possibility that he might just be a late bloomer too. I think he's finally bringing it all together. Or I hope, at least.

Comment

• https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867227-insiders-scout-nba-trade-market-why-cp3-is-unmovable-trae-young-needs-love

The New Orleans Pelicans (6-21) have underperformed by anyone’s measure. Injuries have been a major factor. Zion Williamson’s absence due to meniscus surgery has taken plenty of wind out of their sails. JJ Redick (two years, $26.5 million) would make more sense on a contender.

The Minnesota Timberwolves (10-15) are believed to be shopping both Jeff Teague and Robert Covington, the former GM said. "They need to figure out their point guard situation."

Don't sleep on the Milwaukee Bucks (24-3) at the deadline, despite an 18-game winning streak. If the goal is to do far more than just finish with the best overall record, but advance to the NBA Finals, would the Bucks be willing to take on a player on a multiyear contract in a trade to bolster their chances, even if that means getting into the luxury tax?

San Antonio (10-15) may wait until the summer to see if there's a sign-and-trade market for DeMar DeRozan.

Several executives believe the Indiana Pacers (18-9) will eventually look to move Myles Turner, who isn't generally considered a great fit long-term with Domantas Sabonis.

Also, the expectation is that the Golden State Warriors (5-23) will listen closely to offers at the deadline for D'Angelo Russell.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• I wonder if we can get Jrue. I think he's the best fit if you want to make this team good for the future and present
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                I wonder if we can get Jrue. I think he's the best fit if you want to make this team good for the future and present
                                Sounds like that's the guy they are shopping, rather than JJ. But I also imagine they are asking a lot. He's also got a player option in 2021, which is non-ideal.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X