To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Impact stats suggest that Covington is a way better defender than anyone on our team outside of Gasol and OG.

Obviously no one should be getting into a bidding war for Covington. The Raps should only be talking to the Wolves because the Wolves apparently want ball handlers, and if they strike out on bigger names, the Raps have a couple young pieces that have been rotation pieces in Norm and McCaw who they should be happy to show the door. Any trade suggestion with picks outgoing to the Wolves should be a non-starter.

OMG no thank you to Derrick Rose. Not only is he a scumbag but more importantly he's a truly terrible defender. In the playoffs we'll be running the bench offence through our stars anyway. Hard to be too critical of the offence when we've been down crucial offensive contributors literally all season. With everyone healthy we should be more like a borderline top 10 offensive team, and I wouldn't have any interest in weakening our defensive strength to improve on that.
    Borderline top 10 offense won't hold up in the playoffs. There are critical moments in games where you need somebody to create their own shot when the opposition defense is locked in, otherwise our offense becomes a game of hot potato. Lest we forget that our 2 most veterans guys, Gasol and Lowry, were completely afraid to shoot at various points in the Sixers series. We don't have Kawhi anymore, and Pascal isn't quite there yet as a #1 guy creating his own shot.

I don't like Derrick Rose either, but I feel like we need a legit shot creator, so he's just an example. Yeah sure, those scorer types are usually poor defenders, but they can prop up an offense if used in the right lineups in spurts and keep you in a game. I mean, Rose wasn't always a poor defender... he played on some pretty good defensive teams for Thibs. He'd probably be pretty motivated to play D if he was actually playing for something again.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Borderline top 10 offense won't hold up in the playoffs. There are critical moments in games where you need somebody to create their own shot when the opposition defense is locked in, otherwise our offense becomes a game of hot potato. Lest we forget that our 2 most veterans guys, Gasol and Lowry, were completely afraid to shoot at various points in the Sixers series. We don't have Kawhi anymore, and Pascal isn't quite there yet as a #1 guy creating his own shot.

I don't like Derrick Rose either, but I feel like we need a legit shot creator, so he's just an example. Yeah sure, those scorer types are usually poor defenders, but they can prop up an offense if used in the right lineups in spurts and keep you in a game. I mean, Rose wasn't always a poor defender... he played on some pretty good defensive teams for Thibs. He'd probably be pretty motivated to play D if he was actually playing for something again.
      If Lowry and Siakam don't cut it for shot creators, then the sort of player we need for an upgrade there is a superstar, not Derrick Rose.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If Lowry and Siakam don't cut it for shot creators, then the sort of player we need for an upgrade there is a superstar, not Derrick Rose.
        We already know we need a superstar. That's not a newsflash. And we also know that no superstar is available. And we know that Lowry has a checkered history as a shot creator in the playoffs. Conley was the other suggestion, but that devolved into Jeff Teague cluster****, so I was looking at other ideas to fill our needs, which seems to be more on offense, rather than bringing in an inconsistent 3&D guy like Robert Glovington.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
          I kinda want Drummond. Can we teach him to shoot free throws?
          Yeah I was thinking the same way..but Gasol is such a great defender, offense flow amazing with him, leader, champion, stretches the floor...I was watching some pistons games and I was wrong about Drummond..his very lazy defensively..didnt run back, no emotion,maybe his just sick of playing for pistons.. I wouldn't be surprised that pistons leaked that toronto is interested..which there not, I stay away from Drummond..

"Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

We already know we need a superstar. That's not a newsflash. And we also know that no superstar is available. And we know that Lowry has a checkered history as a shot creator in the playoffs. Conley was the other suggestion, but that devolved into Jeff Teague cluster****, so I was looking at other ideas to fill our needs, which seems to be more on offense, rather than bringing in an inconsistent 3&D guy like Robert Glovington.
            Yeah but Conley and Derrick Rose are two radically different suggestions.

Lowry's checkered history is overblown. He's quite good as a primary creator if he is healthy.

I'm all for improving areas of weakness but the Raptors making moves that will actively hurt their defence to make an improvement on offence would be a bad idea, IMO.

The simple reality is that in most cases, the only pieces that are both a) not a completely useless defensive player and b) have the potential to be significant offensive contributors, will be very expensive. They are also the only pieces the Raptors should be considering in terms of improving their offence from that perspective.

The other way to improve their offence would be to bring in quality role players. Serge and Powell both actually at least slightly hurt the offence AND defence on balance (and McCaw definitely just kills the offence entirely). Finding players who can give small improvements to the offence over our current role players without hurting the defence (or even further improving the defence) is likely the far easier thing to acquire, and will likely cost way less. Which is the entire point. If the Raptors are going to be spending assets to improve the team, they should be going all out and trying to get that star player. Anything short of that should be trying to stay asset neutral at least or even add assets by cashing in on the perceived value of their role players likely being higher than their on-court value.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• PS the Raptors in the non-McCaw minutes have a 111.2 ORTG, which would rank 7th in the league. That's a pretty easy fix for the offence.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yay, and thus no reason to just dump serge and powell.

Comment

PS the Raptors in the non-McCaw minutes have a 111.2 ORTG, which would rank 7th in the league. That's a pretty easy fix for the offence.
                  I'm assuming that by the playoffs, McCaw will either be traded by the deadline or only be seen in garbage time. I fear that I'm assuming too much.

Given the weak market, most are suggesting that our best move is to stand pat, but the better options are: trade Pat, waive Pat or sit Pat.

Comment

• It's really too bad Beal signed that extension. He would have been an amazing fit on this team.

Comment

I'm assuming that by the playoffs, McCaw will either be traded by the deadline or only be seen in garbage time. I fear that I'm assuming too much.

Given the weak market, most are suggesting that our best move is to stand pat, but the better options are: trade Pat, waive Pat or sit Pat.
                      Sounds like a pretty good Dr. Seuss book

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Sounds like a pretty good Dr. Seuss book
                        The title of that book would be: "I can't stand pat". lol.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          Yay, and thus no reason to just dump serge and powell.
                          We shouldn't just dump them. We should explore their market to see if we can get better role players in their place or draft assets in return for them, as they are excess to requirements right now (and possibly actively hurting us).

I wouldn't advocate for just getting Serge and Powell off the team (McCaw is a different story). I think they are good trade candidates because their trade value likely far outstrips their on-court value.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            It's really too bad Beal signed that extension. He would have been an amazing fit on this team.
                            Yeah Beal or Buddy Hield would fit like a glove on this team, but both signed extensions with their current team unfortunately. Ironically both of their teams are bottom feeding right now, which feels like such a waste of their talent. If things stay the same though, who knows, by 2021 they might be disgruntled.
                            ==Glad to have doubted the doubters==

Comment

PS the Raptors in the non-McCaw minutes have a 111.2 ORTG, which would rank 7th in the league. That's a pretty easy fix for the offence.
                              I recall the offense being higher than 7th in those DeMar year's up until the playoffs rolled around. Going to be interesting to see how the boys do in the playoffs without Kawhi.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I recall the offense being higher than 7th in those DeMar year's up until the playoffs rolled around. Going to be interesting to see how the boys do in the playoffs without Kawhi.
                                The good news is we haven't built our entire offence around a player who can be game-planned for easily this time. Nurse's offence is much more flexible.

The other good news is our defence should keep us in any playoff series so long as the offence is functional, don't need it to be fantastic.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X