No announcement yet.

To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thompson is an interesting target...he’d help with rebounding at least, and he’s also a free agent in the summer.

I’m not sure exactly what the package would be, do you have Gasol, Ibaka and Thompson all together?
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Team Canada NEEDTRISTANTHOMPSON

Toronto raptors dont NEEDTRISTANTHOMPSON
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
        Thompson is an interesting target...he’d help with rebounding at least, and he’s also a free agent in the summer.

I’m not sure exactly what the package would be, do you have Gasol, Ibaka and Thompson all together?
        He makes about $18M.. Yeah doesn't really seem feasible unless Masai moves Serge to some other team. TT gives you boards, but Serge can space the floor. I think Nurse prefers the floor spacer as opposed to the rebounder/banger.

Comment

Thompson only fits here if they are bailing on Serge. Or if they want to play huge more... Maybe. Rebounding is definitely a concern, maybe they shift Serge to PF more... Still seems really cramped.

Thompson makes 18.5M. The Raptors could in theory pitch a Norm Powell, Pat McCaw package for Thompson. Shifts some of their depth bigger. I wouldn't want to give up a pick in the deal. With the Raptors pretty full for their rotation I think they'd probably want more value for Powell especially with his production of late. They do get out of his 2021 money, so there is some benefit, but I'm not sure about the fit for Cleveland. And Thompson just buries Boucher more in the rotation.

Seems like a deal they'd only make if they were concurrently chasing a different deal to shed Ibaka and get value for him.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            Thompson only fits here if they are bailing on Serge. Or if they want to play huge more... Maybe. Rebounding is definitely a concern, maybe they shift Serge to PF more... Still seems really cramped.

Thompson makes 18.5M. The Raptors could in theory pitch a Norm Powell, Pat McCaw package for Thompson. Shifts some of their depth bigger. I wouldn't want to give up a pick in the deal. With the Raptors pretty full for their rotation I think they'd probably want more value for Powell especially with his production of late. They do get out of his 2021 money, so there is some benefit, but I'm not sure about the fit for Cleveland. And Thompson just buries Boucher more in the rotation.

Seems like a deal they'd only make if they were concurrently chasing a different deal to shed Ibaka and get value for him.
            We dont NEED rebouding. We lack rebouding in a pick your poison type of defensive (and offensive) strategy. You add Thompson to gobble rebounds, you lose scoring, spacing, shooting, speed...a lot of shit, just to have a lug getting you 12 boards a night.

Comment

Thompson would be a move like the Marc. Masai made it specifically to matchup with Embiid. It worked. To me a thompson trade would be to specifically matchup with a Horford Embiid frontcourt. Im not that worried about Horford as important as it was to get an Embiid stopper
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Team Canada NEEDTRISTANTHOMPSON

Toronto raptors dont NEEDTRISTANTHOMPSON
                Championship DNA though.

Comment

We dont NEED rebouding. We lack rebouding in a pick your poison type of defensive (and offensive) strategy. You add Thompson to gobble rebounds, you lose scoring, spacing, shooting, speed...a lot of shit, just to have a lug getting you 12 boards a night.
                  Thompson isn't really a lug though. He's pretty comparable to Serge in all those things except shooting, and is just a far better rebounder. It's essentially an offence-for-defence tradeoff with an emphasis on rebounding. And maybe that doesn't make sense. I certainly wouldn't be giving up anything of value in the deal. But it does seem like the sort of deal they might make where they leverage Powell into some value, by trading for a Serge replacement and then being able to flip Serge for value without needing his replacement coming back.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Thompson isn't really a lug though. He's pretty comparable to Serge in all those things except shooting, and is just a far better rebounder. It's essentially an offence-for-defence tradeoff with an emphasis on rebounding. And maybe that doesn't make sense. I certainly wouldn't be giving up anything of value in the deal. But it does seem like the sort of deal they might make where they leverage Powell into some value, by trading for a Serge replacement and then being able to flip Serge for value without needing his replacement coming back.
                    Maybe a lug was unfair, but I find Serge a much more versatile and all around better player. Thompson does not upgrade our bigs

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

He makes about $18M.. Yeah doesn't really seem feasible unless Masai moves Serge to some other team. TT gives you boards, but Serge can space the floor. I think Nurse prefers the floor spacer as opposed to the rebounder/banger.
                      Nurse can prefer the floor spacer but Masai likes the rebounder/banger.

I dont think TT is the answer.

Comment

And would you look at that...SI is now reporting Raps having a high interest in Tristan Thompson

On the trade front, the Cavs have not taken part in any serious discussions. That is highly likely to change as the trade deadline nears in February. Opposing teams are expected to make serious runs at Tristan Thompson and Jordan Clarkson, both players with expiring contracts. Toronto is said to have a high interest in Thompson, Philadelphia in Clarkson.
                        https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/news/cavs-rumors-nba/

Comment

And would you look at that...SI is now reporting Raps having a high interest in Tristan Thompson

https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/news/cavs-rumors-nba/
                          That report is the reason we've been talking about Thompson. It is posted up-thread.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

That report is the reason we've been talking about Thompson. It is posted up-thread.
                            To quote Homer J Simpson, "d-oh"

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                              Thompson would be a move like the Marc. Masai made it specifically to matchup with Embiid. It worked. To me a thompson trade would be to specifically matchup with a Horford Embiid frontcourt. Im not that worried about Horford as important as it was to get an Embiid stopper
                              I think Siakam/Marc worked well against that duo last time. We'll see what happens in a few days when we're in Philly again. But yeah I mean we can already go big with Marc&Serge. Serge can guard Horford and do a good job.

It really comes down to whether we'd be a better team with Tristan or with Serge. I think Serge gives us more options since he's a willing shooter. And he's already part of the locker room/culture here.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

I think Siakam/Marc worked well against that duo last time. We'll see what happens in a few days when we're in Philly again. But yeah I mean we can already go big with Marc&Serge. Serge can guard Horford and do a good job.

It really comes down to whether we'd be a better team with Tristan or with Serge. I think Serge gives us more options since he's a willing shooter. And he's already part of the locker room/culture here.

At this point Kyle and Serge are the heart of this team/locker room. Terrence was already talking about how it has been serge who has brought him under his wing and gave him confidence to go out there and kill it on that road trip. You have to evaluate if tristan thompson is worth ripping part of the heart of the team out. I say it isn't
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X