To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

You definitely provided a great argument about the financial implication long term for the Raptors with Lillard’s contract.

I just wanted to point out that Masai’s contract is due in 2021 and from the readings, so far he declined the offer from MLSE to an extension and wanted to consider his options. His off the court GOA initiative is very important for him but also contingent on whether this team can again repeat.

Having to leverage a Lillard and Pascal duo in attracting a blue chip free agent in 2021 is the premise of this discussion. Plus retaining Masai as well. The financial implication beyond 2021 is of not my concern for now.
    would we be able to fit a max free agent in 2021 if lillard's contract is 45-50% of the cap? i don't know the answer to that question but i'd be surprised if the answer were yes.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post

would we be able to fit a max free agent in 2021 if lillard's contract is 45-50% of the cap? i don't know the answer to that question but i'd be surprised if the answer were yes.
      Dame’s 43M cap hit in 2021 plus Pascal’s dead money of 31M may have room to accommodate another max salary FA. Depending on what they will do with OG.

https://defpen.com/nba-salary-cap-pr...1-2022-season/

according to Shams, 2021 is 125Mcap and 151M lux-threshold.

Dan can enlighten us more

raps will remain competitive and can be a middling team with Pascal and Dame next season but injecting another blue chip FA could elevate them as contenders in 2021

Comment

i actually think portland is going to go the opposite way. Their going to be buyers not sellers. Clevland is going to start listing to offers for K-Love and Portland is going to be at the top of the list. Simons and Little are going to be the young guys they just need the salary match. Don't know how many other playoff teams will have good young talent and a hole at PF.
        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

chris wrote: View Post

i'd rather have FVV at 25M/yr on an ascending portion of his career arc than lillard at 50M/yr on the descending portion of his is what i'm saying. FVV will be the better player at half the price at some point over those years.

if it doesn't work out and the team needs to pivot FVV at 25M/yr is tradeable, whereas with lillard we'd be totally and hopelessly fucked until it expires. lillard also doesn't fit the identity of our team since he can't defend and he isn't about to learn at this point in his career.
          FVV is a UFA in 2020

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
            The guy they need to trade is LOWRY. He still has some value. And Fred has proven that he's a starting caliber PG. And at this stage in their career FVV > Lowry.
            Just gonna address this once:

If you trade Lowry, it is not because you think you will be better after trading him, Fred cannot replace what he does, Fred is not better than Lowry yet and is not a starting calibre PG on a contender unless that team has multiple other primary attackers (he's a heck of a starting SG though).

You trade Lowry because you are OK with getting worse in the short term because the return is so good that it pays off long term. Failing that, you don't trade Lowry.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

with no Leonard, Green and then no Lowry. Hard to call this team defending champs.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

big boi wrote: View Post

FVV is a UFA in 2020
                I know I was speculating on the figure it would take to sign him

Comment

The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

You definitely provided a great argument about the financial implication long term for the Raptors with Lillard’s contract.

I just wanted to point out that Masai’s contract is due in 2021 and from the readings, so far he declined the offer from MLSE to an extension and wanted to consider his options. His off the court GOA initiative is very important for him but also contingent on whether this team can again repeat.

Having to leverage a Lillard and Pascal duo in attracting a blue chip free agent in 2021 is the premise of this discussion. Plus retaining Masai as well. The financial implication beyond 2021 is of not my concern for now.
                  You can use the capulator (www.shamsports.com/capulator). Pretty cool tool.

If you bring in Dame (say for Norm+Serge+a bunch of firsts). In 2021, we'd be at about $101M in contracts. This includes Dame, Siakam, Hernandez and Thomas, plus OG's cap hold. If the cap is at $125.. than we'd only have $24M left to spend, plus have to fill out the rest of the roster. If you renounce OG's cap hold we get an additional $11M back. So enough to sign a max contract, but have to fill the roster with minimum deals.

Dame is a bad choice if you want to hunt for a max contract in 2021 IMO.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    with no Leonard, Green and then no Lowry. Hard to call this team defending champs.
                    They'd be defending Champs no matter what. But even with Lowry, their odds are slim without a further upgrade imo. They're a very good team, not elite so it would take some really good fortune again.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

They'd be defending Champs no matter what. But even with Lowry, their odds are slim without a further upgrade imo. They're a very good team, not elite so it would take some really good fortune again.
                      When I think of defending champion I think of "been there done that" But key guys missing and if we miss more of them than it's way too many people thrown to roles where they didn't prove anything on that level.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

If you bring in Dame (say for Norm+Serge+a bunch of firsts). In 2021, we'd be at about $101M in contracts. This includes Dame, Siakam, Hernandez and Thomas, plus OG's cap hold. If the cap is at $125.. than we'd only have $24M left to spend, plus have to fill out the rest of the roster. If you renounce OG's cap hold we get an additional $11M back. So enough to sign a max contract, but have to fill the roster with minimum deals.

Yeah Dame is an excellent player but his contract is the kind of deal you give to MVP caliber players that will consitenly take your team near the finals. He's not that player. If the contract is consuming close to 50% of the whole cap (most of it while over 30), it makes it tougher to get the other quality pieces you need to contend on the roster.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Well... Careful. Even if they have Pascal (and he doesn't earn any increase in pay with a 2nd team all-NBA appearance) and Dame and those two minimum salary guys, plus one pick, if you include all the empty roster spots, they are just a little shy of being able to offer a max deal to a 30% guy. And that assumes the cap doesn't drop at all, which might be optimistic. I agree that Dame is a bad choice if they want to hunt for a max deal. More likely, Dame would be that max deal, and they drop some cash keeping OG, Davis, Lowry, Gasol, Boucher, RHJ, and FVV. Operate over the cap in that case.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Well... Careful. Even if they have Pascal (and he doesn't earn any increase in pay with a 2nd team all-NBA appearance) and Dame and those two minimum salary guys, plus one pick, if you include all the empty roster spots, they are just a little shy of being able to offer a max deal to a 30% guy. And that assumes the cap doesn't drop at all, which might be optimistic. I agree that Dame is a bad choice if they want to hunt for a max deal. More likely, Dame would be that max deal, and they drop some cash keeping OG, Davis, Lowry, Gasol, Boucher, RHJ, and FVV. Operate over the cap in that case.
                            I'm honestly thinking you're not going to even want Gasol and/or Lowry after 2021. It will have to be new options

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              NeedTristanThompson this is your BatSignal! AWAKEN!
                              A few days late but I got it!!!! Bring in the TT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIGN HIM TO THE MAX SLOTTTTTTTTTTT

GIANNIS STAY IN DEER COUNTRY, AS LONG AS WE HAVE NORM WE CAN HUUUUNT YOUR TEAM DOWN

Uh in all seriousness, is Masai leaving for New York!!?!?!?!?

And are we going to improve this team like you're all talking about or actually ride things ooooooout - I miss Boucher minutes by the way :'( That man has long arms!

Why not just do a Serge for TT and freeeee the Boucher!!!!

It was recently pointed out on one of Will Lou's podcasts that the only good eastern team we beat was when norm started instead of kyle + fred..............!!?!!?!!??!

Comment

You delivered man this is what I wanted

Comment

Working...
                                X